1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 283 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Obi-Wan Kenobi

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SSC exclusive perhaps?
I'd love it if that were the case. Seems too rich for an exclusive, though, and usually that info's included when the promo photos drop.

I think it was just something a lot of us hoped was in the teaser, but it'd definitely be a day one pre-order for me were it included. Idea of it on display, with Obi-Wan facing the viewer and a lit CCFL sabre brings a tear to my eye. :monkey2

Might be a great idea for a custom. :)

Last edited:
I'm wondering if their eventual Farmboy Luke will look like a little kid compared to Vader? Hell, Leia will be short, I could see her being up to Vader's belt/codpiece!

Leia next to Vader will look like this :lol

259CC62B00000578-2951281-Should_I_Neal_Kelly_Ripa_5_3_and_Shaquille_O_Neal_7_1_pose_for_a-a-7_14.jpg

I know.. its funny! :lol comparing this to the ssc in its stock form is just silly. ssc looks like a turd in comparison. ( i can say that because i have the ssc) tho its awesome for its time. and i will be keeping both... :p

Right?! :lol

I bet this will look even better when it comes out. Personally I think they did a fantastic job with the wrinkles.

Idea of it on display, with Obi-Wan facing the viewer and a lit CCFL sabre brings a tear to my eye. :monkey2

Might be a great idea for a custom. :)

That sounds amazing. Speaking of CCFL saber's, I just got my first from PixelPiper, and now all excitement for these LED versions has dropped considerably. No way will they be even half as awesome as these are!

Nope. I appreciate the attempt but they won't be able to get the brightness or consistancy of colour throughout the blade. Plus I don't like the idea of having to manually turn on the sabre, super tiny batteries, etc.

It's a fun novelty. But not really a fan of lit blades. Either battery or wired. I think they dominate a display too much, cheapen it.
I think it's cool that these are lit though, fun to be able to turn them on for photos without having wires hanging out of the wrist.
I have a couple of the Medi Luke ones, they are nice but the batteries are difficult to replace. I guess it depends on what kind of display you are into.

Yeah, the brightness might overwhelm the display. With the hard-wired ones there's the option to throttle it down to 25% or so, which I suspect I'd prefer. I'll definitely have to play around with it once the display's finally up. I'm generally not a fan of gimmicks but the lit sabres still capture my imagination a bit.

Don't confuse photorealism with likeness. This is clearly the more realistic sculpt - but in my mind, Trevor's (repainted) sculpt captures Sir Alec as Obi Wan to greater effect. Like so many HT sculpts this looks like it was sculpted by someone who's seen a bunch of reference images but has no real appreciation of the character.

I'm not confusing anything. I've seen a lot of great repaints of the SS head and it doesn't hold a candle to this head sculpt. Is this one perfect? No. But if you laid both sculpts down on the table I would NEVER choose the SS repaint. That's what it's all about to me. I could care less if people think that "Oh I see more likeness" in a sculpt. What does that matter? Do you want the better head sculpt or the better likeness?

I'm not confusing anything. I've seen a lot of great repaints of the SS head and it doesn't hold a candle to this head sculpt. Is this one perfect? No. But if you laid both sculpts down on the table I would NEVER choose the SS repaint. That's what it's all about to me. I could care less if people think that "Oh I see more likeness" in a sculpt. What does that matter? Do you want the better head sculpt or the better likeness?

That's exactly the point that has been made. You're talking about people needing their eyes checked (that old chestnut) for thinking the SSC is 'better'. Well maybe they simply prefer a sculpt that, while not being as detailed or well textured as the HT version, better captures Obi Wan's character. I've already said I prefer the HT head for my shelf, but it's clear to me why many prefer Trevor's (repainted) sculpt.

The SSC Obi-Wan is eight years old. It's okay that it doesn't hold up. Nothing from that era still holds up. Even the Hot Toys figures from that era don't hold up.

It's not a slight against SSC to say that the Hot Toys version is better. The Hot Toys version is simply more in line with current sixth scale sensibilities.

That's exactly the point that has been made. You're talking about people needing their eyes checked (that old chestnut) for thinking the SSC is 'better'. Well maybe they simply prefer a sculpt that, while not being as detailed or well textured as the HT version, better captures Obi Wan's character. I've already said I prefer the HT head for my shelf, but it's clear to me why many prefer Trevor's (repainted) sculpt.

Spot on, a sculpt can be inferior in all kinds of ways technically but still capture the character better than another, 'better' sculpt.

That said, I'm glad they've tweaked it and while its still not perfect, it's now 'close enough' for me. This is the one and only time they'll do this character (unless they do some weird convention exclusive with a blue tint!) so I'll take it.

For all those who think the SSC obi is better...
obi2.jpg
obi.jpg
052407kenobi.jpg
Tho i still love my SSC obi. But im not going to pretend that HT is crap for an excuse to talk **** about them. you dont like it, dont buy it... that easy.

Nobody's "talking **** about HT" as far as I've read. The hyperbole that abounds on a doll forum :lol

Back