1/6 Hot Toys MMS 261-Star Wars: Episode IV-Han Solo 1/6th Scale Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seem to remember a lot of figure with an estimated time of 6-8 or something. I dont buy HT as much as I used too but I do remember seeing one or two of those Marvel figure with dates of summer 2015 anor something and this was a month or so ago. So yeah, 11 months for some, and I rememBer always delays. What was the turn around for the 66 Batman stuff and the BD T1?
Yeah, was just thinking that there are definitely exceptions. I ordered BD T1 on Feb 19 (believe that was the first day it was up), and estimated shipping was Dec (still is for me, since I flexed two). So, 7 months on that one, since they shipped this month. Might be that the long delay between teases and PO makes it seem longer to me, too. Whiplash Mark II was shown at various cons for months and months before the pre-order finally went up, for example.

No problem, it's Anthony's video :rotfl
It seems that the guy always has videos on his channel the day after a figure is announced. Be sure to check him after Hot Toys announces a new figure.

Compare to this, it's the SSC smuggler Han repainted by Darren Carnall.

View attachment 136004

The smuggler sculpt looks much more like Han/Ford but also looks more like a caricature.

As hard as I've tried, I've just never been able to see much HF in that old SSC figure. Better paint apps definitely improve it quite a bit... but still not enough to make it look like ANH Han in my book.

As flawed as it is, I think the HT sculpt comes just a little bit closer.

Although to be fair, HF does look very different in that first movie. I don't know if it's just the awful 70s hair or how sweaty he often looks or the bad lighting, but to me he's always looked a lot... uglier in that movie for some reason. Which is strange considering how much better he looks in Raiders a couple years later.

Captjure.jpg

Although to be fair, HF does look very different in that first movie. I don't know if it's just the awful 70s hair or how sweaty he often looks or the bad lighting, but to me he's always looked a lot... uglier in that movie for some reason. Which is strange considering how much better he looks in Raiders a couple years later.

What-gif.gif

Last edited:
No, I agree. SW HF looks a lot different than RotLA HF. He actually manages to look younger in the latter.

That doesn't even look like a human.

This Han/Ford looks like a shrunk down human, just not Han/Ford.

View attachment 136003

Compare to this, it's the SSC smuggler Han repainted by Darren Carnall.

View attachment 136004

The smuggler sculpt looks much more like Han/Ford but also looks more like a caricature.

Completely agree. Those last pictures show the SSC sculpt being more accurate. It was just the paint job that was throwing it off before. The eyes and brows for the Hot Toys sculpt can definitely use improving. Hair should be set a bit lower and of a lighter brown color. And even the nose and cheeks can use a it of changing too. HT's paint jobs make the figure look like a real person, but that doesn't always mean the sculpts are accurate to the original subject. HT sculpts sometimes tend to stylize or "beautify" the features. Resulting in the sculpt losing a bit of distinguishing features of the original person. SSC tends to bring out those distinguishing features,but their paint jobs are horrible.

Completely agree. Those last pictures show the SSC sculpt being more accurate. It was just the paint job that was throwing it off before. The eyes and brows for the Hot Toys sculpt can definitely use improving. Hair should be set a bit lower and of a lighter brown color. And even the nose and cheeks can use a it of changing too. HT's paint jobs make the figure look like a real person, but that doesn't always mean the sculpts are accurate to the original subject. HT sculpts sometimes tend to stylize or "beautify" the features. Resulting in the sculpt losing a bit of distinguishing features of the original person. SSC tends to bring out those distinguishing features,but their paint jobs are horrible.

:exactly: :goodpost:

As hard as I've tried, I've just never been able to see much HF in that old SSC figure. Better paint apps definitely improve it quite a bit... but still not enough to make it look like ANH Han in my book.

As flawed as it is, I think the HT sculpt comes just a little bit closer.

View attachment 136040

Yeah, I sort of agree - to me, ESB and ROTJ have a timeless look - despite the whiff of eighties hairstyles (ROTJ especially) - whereas SW looks like a film shot in Britain in the 1960's/70's.

Even the supporting actors with their mutton-chops sideburns and Austin Powers teeth (pretty much all officers, Rebel pilots, Cantina humans etc...) look like WWII-era East End dockworker blokes you really don't see anymore. Which - given SW's "WWII in space" concept - works.

ROTLA is a gorgeously shot film with a warm palette, whereas parts of SW look like an industrial film (flat lighting, no camera movement) from the 70's - so maybe that's what gives Han that "different" and somewhat unattractive look in SW.

Yeah, I sort of agree - to me, ESB and ROTJ have a timeless look - despite the whiff of eighties hairstyles (ROTJ especially) - whereas SW looks like a film shot in Britain in the 1960's/70's.

Even the supporting actors with their mutton-chops sideburns and Austin Powers teeth (pretty much all officers, Rebel pilots, Cantina humans etc...) look like WWII-era East End dockworker blokes you really don't see anymore. Which - given SW's "WWII in space" concept - works.

ROTLA is a gorgeously shot film with a warm palette, whereas parts of SW look like an industrial film (flat lighting, no camera movement) from the 70's - so maybe that's what gives Han that "different" and somewhat unattractive look in SW.

Interesting perspective but I mostly agree. Raiders was such a "modern" movie in its day -- even now it holds up well, especially because of the camera style. Star Wars is shot almost entirely on sticks -- as part of its comic book style. It's energy comes for the constant cutting and sound editing. Raiders style is almost all camera.

I made a comment about this figure last night asking whether HT had the likeness response and just saw that people were falling over themselves to accuse me of trolling, which I wasn't. My other question is whether this is an example of a first release in a classic outfit which is going to be followed by a second release with a less desirable outfit but much better HS - e.g. Joker v.1 followed by the first BR Joker. Whether HT planned it or not everyone ended up buying both to make one figure they really wanted. Is asking this trolling?

Is it not OK to hate this HS? It's not like I'm personally bringing out a competing product. I WANT to spend my money on a Hot Toys Han Solo! But this just isn't it and I don't see how it helps for people not to question what is a really, really poor likeness. It's not just his likeness, its his character that they've failed to capture - Han is one of the coolest characters ever, totally hip, swashbuckling, rule-breaking, gunslinging, everything that makes you like him when you're nine. The sculpt just looks like someone who might work in an office and worries about his mortgage.

My hope is that this is like the Reeve Superman, where the original promo pics showed a HS that was off, but it was fixed by the time it came out. If the same thing happens here I'll be buying it the day it comes out. But I don't see HT are going to have any incentive to improve a HS that many people don't like if people who don't like it keep quiet.

And Lejuan, I wouldn't praise 'a polished turd' if BCS put one out. I've been as critical as anyone of products that haven't worked out, like Amy Pond v.1. Or to put it another way, **** OFF. Thanks.

You've been here since 2008 and all your questions are from someone who is a Hot Toys, 1/6 collector noob, so of coarse they will think you are trolling, first off HT did the joker thing to make money, it is a business at the end of the day, I was happy with just bank robber joker, but I'm prob. in the minority.

Second of all, everything you are "critical about" towards the Han Solo sculpt has already been said before, read my post, I've been beating this dead horse down 6 feet under! So I find it rude that you aren't reading others posts but expect a response for yours.

Third, every sculpt is done by a different sculptor, look up Hot Toys Yulli she is one of their best as well as the new guy doing marty mcfly, all bad sculpts are done by Koujin, but no one wants to admit that. Even the new sculptors they hired are better than him.

Fourth, I tried to answer your questions so try to read everyone else's posts, cause there have been more people bashing this sculpt then there have been people praising it.

Last edited:
That video shows this fig in a whole new light - literally. The high contrast lighting really helps the likeness hugely (important because that's the lighting most people will have for display.) These are the first pics where I am clearly seeing Han - albeit an ESB Han, not SW.

Solely due to that video I'm hanging onto my two-pack pre-order at BBTS.

2j47y4i.png

Did they wear the headsets in the cockpit? I'm only recalling the gunnery scenes.

star-wars-episode-iv-a-new-hope-limited-edition-20060718075733219-000.jpg

They should tackle Slave Leia soon

Luke Jedi and Slave Leia I would think would be done right after the 12-back characters.

Interesting perspective but I mostly agree. Raiders was such a "modern" movie in its day -- even now it holds up well, especially because of the camera style. Star Wars is shot almost entirely on sticks -- as part of its comic book style. It's energy comes for the constant cutting and sound editing. Raiders style is almost all camera.

Yeah even for being a period movie, Raiders looks remarkably timeless today. Much like the first Alien movie. Which I think probably comes down to the great cinematography and direction in those movies.

I'm certainly a huge fan of ANH's grungier, more industrial look, because it makes the world feel a lot more believable and real. But it does have a tendency to make the actors not look their best as well.

In a lot of ways, Empire 'glammed' up Star Wars. The cast looked better (not counting Luke's car accident face), the Empire got some sexy lighting inside their ships, Vader got shined up, Lando had polyester style and a cape, Cloud City looked like a white disco, and even when they're in the freezing cold they look very (sorry) cool. The 80's had begun...

Back