Hot Toys MMS 145 - Iron Man 2 - Mark V 1/6 limited edition collectible specs + pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't get this call for chrome. It's just a different way of being wrong. It's not depicted as chrome in the movie either. It's a brushed stainless/aluminum look. It's like the inset vs raised rivets on the MKII neither is correct.

I don't get this call for chrome. It's just a different way of being wrong. It's not depicted as chrome in the movie either. It's a brushed stainless/aluminum look. It's like the inset vs raised rivets on the MKII neither is correct.

Chrome can be made to look a lot closer to real metal than the current paint, and it won't look "cheap".

I totally disagree. I also don't know exactly what people mean by chrome. I assume they mean a sort a mirror finish… which to mean looks cheap give how many toys as a kid had vac-plated with whatever. You still see it a lot on cosmetics contains and what not.

And like I said, it's a different way of being wrong.

On the contrary, I was wondering if anyone agreed with me. Hence why I asked if I was the only one who felt the way I did about this figure. Why would I want to "ruin" it for anyone or start a debate? I just think this is a step backward for Hot Toys to the Mark III Battle-Damaged days, but I guess I'm the only one. And I'm glad you guys who pre-ordered it are happy with how it turned out.

I have already got Mark V pre-ordered and should be getting it soon-ish.

I agree with you to some extent, Spanbauer. I too think the proportion of the figure is a step back compared to the recent HT Mark IV and VI.

The waist and neck seem to be too thin compared to the thighs and chest, you can see that in the video (in the front on view). OMG's photos are as beautiful as ever, but it seems like he posed the Mark V carefully to make the proportion look as natural as possible. This is what I had to do with my BD Mark 3 as well, I couldn’t pose him directly facing front, I had to pose him with his body at an angle to hide the akward proportion.

I was also hoping that Hot Toys would suprise us with some hidden/unannounced goodies with this Mark V (like the Rock stand from their Thor figure), I was hoping that the back air flaps or the Retractable countermeasure dispenser could open up. I guess the Mark V never use them in the movie, but it would still be nice to have those features, considering the price point.

I still think it looks beautiful and the shiny red paint job still amazes me. I hope the colour doesn’t fade and that it looks better in hand. :)

I assume they mean a sort a mirror finish… which to mean looks cheap give how many toys as a kid had vac-plated with whatever. You still see it a lot on cosmetics contains and what not.

I'm guessing you thought the actual armor in the film looked cheap then :dunno because that "mirror finish" is exactly what it had in the movie, and it's not present on the figure like it should be.

So how long until SSC gets their and then how long after that before places like BBTS start shipping? I'm guessing I won't see mine for a couple months-ish? At least that's what it was like with the last HT figure I pre-ordered. I don't buy a lot though so things may have changed.

It's a strange topic because it's not supposed to be chrome, yet to fake the most realistic looking brush metal effect there would need some degree of chrome paint layered there to get that real reflection. It's like faking blood would need some degree of transparent red mixture, we're not really talking about what the real material is supposed to be but how to achieve that look. The difficult part would be how to tone down that chrome look so that it's still imitating the type of metal it's supposed to be (in this case brushed metal). The safe way of course is just use flat metal colors like off-the-shelf "brushed metal" paint or "gun metal" paint, which despite their name suggests may not be the most realistic results without adding that hint of chrome to get that reflection going.

313041df.jpg

Sick. :clap

mhmm, kinda glad I passed on this. I want more reflective silver, this matte stuff aint cutting it!

Back