Hot Toys - Iron Man 2:Mark IV Limited Edition spec

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have found that very long exposures on my two cameras exacerbate grain. I don't know if that's an artifact of the digital sensor or what, but it does happen and it's very noticeable at extremely long exposures (such as 30"). That was just me making an observation, it's not something I have ever been taught but then again I never dealt with extremely long exposures in school (or digital photography for that matter).

Pictures of mine :) ...this figure is just AMAZING!

dsc0262cy.jpg

dsc0263t.jpg

dsc0267o.jpg

dsc0271lm.jpg

dsc0285p.jpg

dsc0001tk.jpg

dsc0003qb.jpg

dsc0004el.jpg

dsc0005xb.jpg

So what's the overall best way to take picture of our figures?

Depends on the camera? Generally low ISO, use a tripod, and don't use the built in flash on your camera. Also, generally you want to go with a higher ƒ-stop but a lot of p&s cameras don't allow you to change that.

I use a pretty cheap lighting setup of halogen desklamps (they're like $10 a piece).

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="853" height="510" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DynLimb8HnQ" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Takes awhile to process and upload. Just a few shots though. A couple of macro shots of the Tony head and a couple helmet-on pics.

Bam

I wish the armored head had better neck articulation. It's hard to get it in a non-awkward looking sideways looking pose.
5402998166_e9a1729417_b.jpg

5403000332_a36876d830_b.jpg

5402408557_a85ce40a86_b.jpg

5403004014_0a88f5e47c_b.jpg

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="853" height="510" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DynLimb8HnQ" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Great review dude, and thx for the heads on opening the leg flaps:)

dedguy,
Second shot looks like an experiment with long exposure times and the macro shots is further proof why the headsculpt is pure win.
Thanks for sharing those great pics.

I missed all the photography talk, but in general, everyone's correct.

My best advice, learn the capabilities of your current camera. Whether it be point-n-shoot or DSLR. If you're not one of the lucky ones to have light panels, multiple light sources, and/or aftermarket flash, then get yourself a tripod and use decent daylight coming in from outside. That's what I do.

I'm not a big fan of flash photography, but that doesn't stop me from using it. It's not terrible, but I just prefer having a stable cam versus a flash.

One other thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, look into White Balance. Make sure the colors you're capturing in your pics represent the actual colors of the objects you're photographing.

Almost all of the great pics in this or any other thread have had some degree of post processing (i.e. photoshop) and is a great way to express creativity and I love them all.

Keep those pics coming guys. :clap

I love this series of pics you posted:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dedguy/4220211562/sizes/o/in/photostream/

One can use this as a way to understand sensitivity.
Grain is introduced at ISO 800. You can see it on his chest, in the shaded area created by the figures left arm.
With ISO 1600 it is very apparent.

I generally try and stay away from anything higher than ISO 800(honestly don't really use this setting much) to minimize noise/grain.

kairus,
Very cool review.
I see that your forearm rockets also have that very thin film of residue that mine came with. I'm not sure what it is but it wipes off very easily. I suspect that it's some kind of wax.

I usually go 200 or 400. I could just do 100 and do longer exposures but I like a high ƒ-stop (22 for those above photos), I take bracketed shots, and I don't like having to wait forever for a photo to take.

So basically I often shoot 400 just for ease, or 1600 if I /want/ the grain such as for something like this[url].

Back