1/6 Hot Toys -- Guardians of the Galaxy - Groot & Rocket

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got mine yesterday and the set is fantastic. Groot is impressive. I wanted him with the calm face, but may go for the angry groot to have him lurching forward so he can fit in my detolf better. Really good set.

The set is great. Picked mine up today. I went with the angry face on Groot, and I'm pleased with it. I love the sh%# eating grin on Rocket's face.

Attachments

• IMG_20150702_162310486 (2).jpg
    IMG_20150702_162310486 (2).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 416
  • untitled (2).jpg
    untitled (2).jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 385
Hey guys, I'm brand new here. Got my first Hot Toys purchase today and wanted to be able to talk about it.

Absolutely loving the sculpt on both of them but I have a few problems. The first of which is that my Rocket is missing a whisker on the left side of his face. It actually leaves him with an even amount of whiskers on both sides and it essentially isn't noticeable so I'm not too torn up about it, but I still feel it should not be happening whatsoever at this price point. Additionally, some whiskers are bent and it seems there's no way to fix them without damaging them. The biggest problem with Rocket is his gun. Its extremely difficult getting him to hold the thing. Attaching the gun to the hand first and then attaching the hand to the arm is difficult because there's isn't anywhere sturdy on the gun to use as leverage to twist it in. Attaching the hand to arm first and then pushing in the gun is just difficult geometrically. What I'm left with every time is a very loose feeling grasp on the gun throughout the arm that I worry could damage the articulation over time. Has anyone gotten their Rocket to hold the gun tightly without balancing it on his torso or other hand? And if so, how?

Another minor issue is that it appears my Groot has uneven legs. When I try to stand him up straight, he leans pretty far to one side. Again, not a huge problem, but a disappointment. Does anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it? I thought it might just be the way I had the legs articulated but I haven't been able to get them even yet.

Hey guys, I'm brand new here. Got my first Hot Toys purchase today and wanted to be able to talk about it.

Absolutely loving the sculpt on both of them but I have a few problems. The first of which is that my Rocket is missing a whisker on the left side of his face. It actually leaves him with an even amount of whiskers on both sides and it essentially isn't noticeable so I'm not too torn up about it, but I still feel it should not be happening whatsoever at this price point. Additionally, some whiskers are bent and it seems there's no way to fix them without damaging them. The biggest problem with Rocket is his gun. Its extremely difficult getting him to hold the thing. Attaching the gun to the hand first and then attaching the hand to the arm is difficult because there's isn't anywhere sturdy on the gun to use as leverage to twist it in. Attaching the hand to arm first and then pushing in the gun is just difficult geometrically. What I'm left with every time is a very loose feeling grasp on the gun throughout the arm that I worry could damage the articulation over time. Has anyone gotten their Rocket to hold the gun tightly without balancing it on his torso or other hand? And if so, how?

Another minor issue is that it appears my Groot has uneven legs. When I try to stand him up straight, he leans pretty far to one side. Again, not a huge problem, but a disappointment. Does anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it? I thought it might just be the way I had the legs articulated but I haven't been able to get them even yet.

:welcome1: And congrats on your first Hot Toys figures!

Sorry to hear about the missing whisker, but as far as fixing them, the advice I saw somewhere was to use tweezers to pose them. Maybe you could do that at the bend point to try to straighten it out? If you bought it from Sideshow, you might also see if they'll offer to replace the head (not likely, but worth a shot).

Rocket's gun was a pain to get in his hand. I tried to follow the approach of attaching the gun to the hand first, then the hand to the arm, but I ran into the same leverage problem as you. What I've found works is to have the hand attached to the arm, insert part of the handle in the hand (with the gun facing almost backwards), then rotate and push the gun handle until it's fully in the hand (it's hard to explain). I might be wearing down some of the paint that way, but I feel safer doing that than what I was trying before.

For Groot, I don't have that problem, but are all of the leg joints tight/secure? Do the knee joints at least line up? And are the feet all facing forward the same way (with the logos at the front)?

Rocket's gun was a pain to get in his hand. I tried to follow the approach of attaching the gun to the hand first, then the hand to the arm, but I ran into the same leverage problem as you. What I've found works is to have the hand attached to the arm, insert part of the handle in the hand (with the gun facing almost backwards), then rotate and push the gun handle until it's fully in the hand (it's hard to explain). I might be wearing down some of the paint that way, but I feel safer doing that than what I was trying before.

Thank you! And don't worry, I know exactly what you mean. That's what I've taken to doing as well. I guess it's probably the best way to go. Paint rubbing wouldn't bother me at all because I'm really only going to be displaying the gun in the hand and vice versa.

If he's missing a whisker on the left side, and both sides are even, is he not missing one on the right side as well?

Mine has five on each side. Is my raccoon normal? :lol

You bring up a good point. Mine has five on each side as well. I guess it's possible that mine is not missing a whisker, but as you can see in this image, it definitely looks like there is an unfinished stalk of a whisker. Can we get a whisker count going? :lol

rocket.jpg

I got the exclusive set on Wednesday and I absolutely LOVE it. Groot may be my favorite Hot Toys figure that I own. The only downside I have with the set is that there are so many display options (which is actually a great thing). The "calm" Groot face sculpt is impressive, and is a better look for the character, but I simply had to pose them together, using Groot's "screaming" face sculpt with Rocket perched on his arm/shoulder firing away.

Thank you! And don't worry, I know exactly what you mean. That's what I've taken to doing as well. I guess it's probably the best way to go. Paint rubbing wouldn't bother me at all because I'm really only going to be displaying the gun in the hand and vice versa.

You bring up a good point. Mine has five on each side as well. I guess it's possible that mine is not missing a whisker, but as you can see in this image, it definitely looks like there is an unfinished stalk of a whisker. Can we get a whisker count going? :lol

Five by five. :wink1: And I'd say your left whiskers don't look too bad, if that's what you mean by bent. Mine are roughly the same, but I'm not usually looking at it from such a close distance. They certainly do go off in the oddest directions though; I've given up on getting the whiskers to be perfectly aligned.

Love these guys. Groot is incredible and Rocket looks way better in hand. Here's a group shot. And now I wait like the rest of you for Drax...

Attachments

• groot and rocket .jpeg
    groot and rocket .jpeg
    118.8 KB · Views: 417
Back