Hot Toys DX05- Indiana Jones (Raiders of the Lost Ark) 1/6 Figure Full Specs + Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just showing Arnie Kim isn't the God of sculpting everyone. When Superman was announced and he was behind it, everyone assumed it would mean photorealistic sculpts of any character he touched. Yet his first work for HT is almost universally panned. I know he said he was redoing it, but I have that awful feeling where I'm not exactly stoked to see it. He'd better blow us away with the redo. If not, a massive shame, and waste of the licence.

With luck he'll grow or they won't give him many projects. Everyone thought the world of Kojun and then his first portraits were John Connor and Wolverine, both close, but off in likeness, then he does something like the Barney Ross portrait that looks fantastic. I also still believe that sculptors have their interpretations and don't do exact work, and some faces don't come out through that filter looking as accurrate to us as others. Going by Yulli's Bales you'd think she couldn't sculpt an accurrate likeness, but then look at her Ledgers, Stallones and Schwarzeneggers and you'd think she had a great talent.

Their Exclusive Bruce Lee figure comes with a whole extra body (basically you're getting two whole figures) and is only $220
There's only a couple more small accessories and a pedestal with Indy.

Lets face it, it's not the number of accessories that's push the price up to $250, it's Ford and Lucasfilm.

How would Ford push it up? Lucas is notorious for not granting actors likeness rights for merchandise. Did that change from SW to Indy? Ford didn't even know about the Hasbro figures until he saw them in a store and bought some for his kids. :lol

How would Ford push it up? Lucas is notorious for not granting actors likeness rights for merchandise. Did that change from SW to Indy?

I thought Ford has likeness rights for Indy, would suck if he didn't.

And I thought you were banned.
Welcome back.

Not everyone. Knowing how underwhelming his Indy sculpt was, I was concerned about it. Even started reminding those talking ____ about the Matty version that HT's might not look much better. And if this is any example, it won't. :lol

Yeah, you did come to think of it.

When I first saw pics of this from their Tokyo convention, I thought it was okay and the appearance might have had something to do with the lighting at the show. I also assumed it was a prototype since we didn't get spec/pics.

But man, with these official pictures, I was mistaken. It really looks like crap.

It's got some nice "stuff" but lets face it, the headsculpt is one of the most important aspects of any figure, especially 1/6. This just doesn't cut it.

Oh and the price point makes me lol hard.

The MSRP on the DX Joker was 199, right? That was a perfect figure, came with two entire outfits and sculpts (that Map Room get up does not entirely qualify as a second look as much as a second hat and jacket). Indy is 50 more for a huge stand with a cardboard background, that no one will use, as well as the idol pedestal. Not to mention the difference between a figure that looks very much like the character as opposed to this, which is nothing more than a caricature of Indy at this point.

And hell, I paid $165 for the DX01.

With luck he'll grow or they won't give him many projects. Everyone thought the world of Kojun and then his first portraits were John Connor and Wolverine, both close, but off in likeness, then he does something like the Barney Ross portrait that looks fantastic. I also still believe that sculptors have their interpretations and don't do exact work, and some faces don't come out through that filter looking as accurrate to us as others. Going by Yulli's Bales you'd think she couldn't sculpt an accurrate likeness, but then look at her Ledgers, Stallones and Schwarzeneggers and you'd think she had a great talent.

Questionable imo :lol

I thought Ford has likeness rights for Indy, would suck if he didn't.

And I thought you were banned.
Welcome back.

I don't think he does. As I said earlier, Lucas is notorious for not granting actors their likenesses so he can rake in the billions through merchandising that pay for Lucasfilm, THX, Skywalker Sound, ILM, and all of his other little projects.

And I was, but I'm back. Thanks! :lol

I have a feeling the price will come down. Not sure of the license fees, but this price will have to come down....to sell.

Oh, and anyone hoping for other HT Indy offerings... it isn't looking good for you. HT will likely dump this license like SS did when they see the luke warm response. Of course, being DX, I doubt they had any interest in this beyond a single Indy.

I have a feeling the price will come down. Not sure of the license fees, but this price will have to come down....to sell.

Oh, and anyone hoping for other HT Indy offerings... it isn't looking good for you.

Has there ever been a price drop on a collectible after Sideshow/HT announced official specs and began taking preorders?

Has there ever been a price drop on a figure after Sideshow announced official specs and began taking preorders?

Sideshow is notoriously high, about $20+ more than market with HT stuff. Always has been.

So not an official drop, but the "market price" will be less once there's more places to order this from and the true price is settled on.

Welcome back, BTW.

Looking at those spec pics again, the head looks like it's photo shopped onto the body or something. It's so strange. Look at every pic in that line up and it all looks similar.

I mean, yeah I know they've used photoshop for these images, but that head just doesn't fit.

Sideshow is notoriously high, about $20+ more than market with HT stuff. Always has been.

So not an official drop, but the "market price" will be less once there's more places to order this from and the true price is settled on.

Welcome back, BTW.

Thanks. Though I don't see it dropping below the average 8-10% discount. BBTS has already adjusted (increased) their preorder price to reflect the standard discount. Maybe after this is in stock and doesn't move because of all the issues, but I don't see anything happening pre-release.

Arnie is the man for Bruce Lee collectibles,the best there ever will be and no one will ever touch him,but he haven't proved himself enough yet to be called the GOD of 1/6 figures yet,Yulli has taken on any Character HT has given her and she nails it almost every time.
Kojun is also very talented,but i thought he failed every time with the likeness on his first figures he made under HT,until i Saw Barney Ross!
Same with YJ Park(Enterbay),he has made some crazy looking figures but the licenses Enterbay have are very limited so many people haven't seen what he is capable of.

Give Arnie time,we all know HT want to tweak this Indy sculpt,and it will happen.

Thanks. Though I don't see it dropping below the average 8-10% discount. BBTS has already adjusted (increased) their preorder price to reflect the standard discount. Maybe after this is in stock and doesn't move because of all the issues, but I don't see anything happening pre-release.

Yeah, BBTS adjusted theirs as soon as they saw the price because they can only give so much discount on pieces. I believe its 10-15% something like that. This will hit GC at somepoint which it can be had at a discount.

The price must reflect the labour costs. Braided whip, stitched shoes etc are gonna take man hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back