Hot Toys - Batman 1966 Live-action TV Series - Batmobile

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well. some of you guys know I had a custom 66 Batmobile built for me by a professional modeler (David Etcheler). I took over 3 years to find all the right parts, etc. BUT MY POINT IS to get that glossy paint job correct, David had to apply over 7 coats of paint.

Howard said they were having production issues and I think it may the cost to paint this correctly.

But even if that were true and they decided it was not cost effective for large run, they could still offer us an option to make a deposit on whatever the price point is and we are willing to pay to in order to make a limited run of these.

what scale was it built at ? I heard the initial problems was to do with the gloss paint app a while back.

I don't post very often, but this is a subject I feel very stronly about. Reason being, I purchased the Batman and Robin figures for the singular purpose of displaying with the vehicle. Seriously needs to happen!

Well. some of you guys know I had a custom 66 Batmobile built for me by a professional modeler (David Etcheler). I took over 3 years to find all the right parts, etc. BUT MY POINT IS to get that glossy paint job correct...

David had to apply over 7 coats of paint.
View attachment 196789

View attachment 196787

View attachment 196788

Howard said they were having production issues and I think it may the cost to paint this correctly.

But even if that were true and they decided it was not cost effective for large run, they could still offer us an option to make a deposit on whatever the price point is and we are willing to pay to in order to make a limited run of these.

That looks pretty dam awesome . I bet the cost a fair bit to do. Batman and robin just look so cool in there :)

I don't post very often, but this is a subject I feel very stronly about. Reason being, I purchased the Batman and Robin figures for the singular purpose of displaying with the vehicle. Seriously needs to happen!

Exactly. I sold off my 1/6 Batmobile and Custom figures years ago in hopes HT would make this dream come true.

So I ALSO purchased these figs with the intent of buying the Batmobile as IT WAS CLEAR TO ME that a Batmobile would follow to go along with them. Why else would they display the Batmobile and INCLUDE IT IN PHOTOS used for Pre ordering the Batman and Robin figures? If this is truly cancelled, I"ll feel like I was misled too.

PD1379563499MQz.jpg

Last edited:

Exactly. I sold off my 1/6 Batmobile and Custom figures years ago in hopes HT would make this dream come true.

So I ALSO purchased these figs with the intent of buying the Batmobile as IT WAS CLEAR TO ME that a Batmobile would follow to go along with them. Why else would they display the Batmobile and INCLUDE IT IN PHOTOS used for Pre ordering the Batman and Robin figures? If this is truly cancelled, I"ll feel like I was misled too.

PD1379563499MQz.jpg

I feel the same way.. I have stopped my 1/6 figure collecting but kept these guys because of the Batmobile... They will be my last two HT figures. They are very nice figures and I have no complaints about them.. but First they did it with the Bat and the the 1966 Batmobile...wonder if the Millennium Falcon cockpit will ever arrive.. I think they lost their shirts with the 89 Batmobile and all the damaged cars..

Well. some of you guys know I had a custom 66 Batmobile built for me by a professional modeler (David Etcheler). I took over 3 years to find all the right parts, etc. BUT MY POINT IS to get that glossy paint job correct...

David had to apply over 7 coats of paint.
View attachment 196789

View attachment 196787

View attachment 196788

I would put half nrd for it. Hell, I would put down 100% nrd for this. Just offer limited ES release then Howard. Please!:pray:

Matt is accurate to how the car was delivered form Barris in October of 1965 you know.They only repainted it because it did nt "pop" like everything else on the colour palette.Even the Corgi Toys Batmobile was finished in Matt Black for the first six months of its production.I have one of these exceedingly rare models and like it more than the gloss to be honest!

Matt is accurate to how the car was delivered form Barris in October of 1965 you know.They only repainted it because it did nt "pop" like everything else on the colour palette.Even the Corgi Toys Batmobile was finished in Matt Black for the first six months of its production.I have one of these exceedingly rare models and like it more than the gloss to be honest!

You r right. I thought it was originally matte black. I do not need it to be gloss black. Release it the same as the 89 batmobile. I just want the darn thing.

I agree. I have most of the 1/18 Hot Wheels variations and my favorite is the semi gloss model which is a finish easily duplicated with a can of Krylon spray.
I'd LOVE it if they made it in semi gloss instead of gloss.

I agree. I have most of the 1/18 Hot Wheels variations and my favorite is the semi gloss model which is a finish easily duplicated with a can of Krylon spray.
I'd LOVE it if they made it in semi gloss instead of gloss.

Semi gloss would be the best choice imo. Gloss black would show too many defects.

And easiest to make for production. If they are worried about scratches when shipping, then wrap it in clear plastic wrap and then wrap it with bubble wrap. That's the most I ever used wrap in a sentence.

When painting cars gloss black, body work and paint has to be pretty much flawless. It looks gorgeous, but also a big pain to keep clean looking. You can clean it and then after a bit looks dirty again. White hides everything though, as well as silver.

The Batmobile had a dull wax to prevent reflection of the camera crew. But otherwise it was gloss black for publicity shots.

As the Returns Batmobile was glossy black and i liked that better, but got the matte black batmobile from 89 by HT. I did not care if it was matte or glossy when it arrived in hand. As I remembered it was matte in 89....

The car in returns was not gloss black but semi-gloss black or black satin. The paint job is not so different between 89 and Returns. They are all the 1.1 replicas too glossy or the Toynami that give the wrong feeling that the Batmobile was gloss in returns. But it's wrong.

89:

Returns:

And if the 89 HT prototype was clearly matt black...

...The final prototype is clearly oriented returns with a semi-gloss black paint:

Back