Hot Toys Back to the Future II - 1/6th scale DeLorean Time Machine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a cool thing to wake up to! Haven't finished setting it up just yet, I found the flux bands a bit fiddly, but they will definitely complete the look once finished. And do you think I could find some batteries that work with two kids and all their toys? Nope. Will have to pick some up sometime today. Overall this Delorean is awesome, so much detail I can't appreciate it all in just a day, but every time I look at it I'm sure I'll see more. Also happy to report (pending lights) everything is qc issue free except a tiny fingernail size piece of black plastic that I found in the bottom of the bag that appear to have some dried glue on it.
Here's a couple of pics so far of where it will stay until my display case arrives

Attachments

• 20230902_091112.jpg
    20230902_091112.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230902_090915.jpg
    20230902_090915.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Here's a couple of pics so far of where it will stay until my display case arrives

First off, congrats! Second, I was half thinking you were displaying it inside your coffee table until I read that last line. Given how little space I have with mine way up on a shelf, I'm trying to think of reasons not to explore this further...

First off, congrats! Second, I was half thinking you were displaying it inside your coffee table until I read that last line. Given how little space I have with mine way up on a shelf, I'm trying to think of reasons not to explore this further...
Thanks my friend. Have you looked into moducase/moduspace. That's what I will be getting. You could easily turn one into a coffee table by simply placing a top over it. They are strong and basically dustproof. They are pretty much worldwide now

Thanks my friend. Have you looked into moducase/moduspace. That's what I will be getting. You could easily turn one into a coffee table by simply placing a top over it. They are strong and basically dustproof. They are pretty much worldwide now
Wow, I've seen similar stuff in the background of other collectors/youtubers but hadn't thought about that for a table idea. I don't really put much on it weight-wise, maybe the cat and he's under 20 lbs. Thanks for the heads up!

Woohoo! The Delorean just showed up about an hour ago. Only some very minor “issues” from the HK to Australia to US trip.

Driver seat was floating loose in the car. Four drops of glue took care of that. No damage to the interior from it bouncing around. There was no shortage of dry glue around the base of the seat so not sure why that seems to be a common problem.

Driver side front hub cap was also detached. It’s just a friction fit so I just popped it back in.

Initially, one of the green sequential LEDs was not lighting but application of the scientific method (sharp tap with the knuckles) resolved that.

Observations …

Wheel mounts are indeed the new version with the recession on the opposite side of the screw head. Three distinctive clicks and rotate down. Feels very solid but you need to apply a fair amount of gentle force when pulling.

The left and right side numbers of the time circuit display are kind of dim. Not sure if this is a bad LED or just the way they light the box from the inside.

Could be my old eyes but the wheels have just a barely noticeable amount of speckling. I would describe it as if it sat on a shelf for a month without dusting. I have Mike’s Mods Good Year rub ons (and also the diecast magnetic swappable plates) and the speckling won’t interfere with the effect at all.

Lastly, the stand. It’s a PITA to line it up while trying not to drop the vehicle but once it’s on it’s fine - assuming you like the flying angle (I do). Sure, you could knock it over if you wanted to but you’d have to give it a good push from the high side to do that. From pushing from the low side and front and back it is pretty stable which works for how I will be displaying mine.

I plan to do the relatively simple no-solder mod described on another thread here to swap a couple of connectors under the hood so it fully lights when USB power is applied so it will come on with all my other smart switched stuff. Maybe even run a light inside Mr. Fusion.

All in all, I’m a happy camper with how it all turned out.

IMG_4532.jpeg

IMG_4533.jpeg
IMG_4534.jpeg

Last edited:
FYI - You may have seen that TW’s most visible promoter (Justin) just ended his relationship with them yesterday. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Whaaat, but Justin was never affiliated with Toys Wonderland; he has insisted as much for years.

He just happened to like shopping there and incidentally mentioned them in every video.
1693953850945.gif

Still thinking about getting this but my space is limited. I would have it in regular, non flight mode, but may need to move it occasionally. Is it sturdy enough for that? I know the bumper and side flux pieces are fragile. Or is this a park it and leave it piece?

Still thinking about getting this but my space is limited. I would have it in regular, non flight mode, but may need to move it occasionally. Is it sturdy enough for that? I know the bumper and side flux pieces are fragile. Or is this a park it and leave it piece?
No problem moving it around with reasonable handling. I wouldn’t really describe it as fragile. Unless you’re like me where anything of value I attempt to move becomes an obstacle contact sensor.

No problem moving it around with reasonable handling. I wouldn’t really describe it as fragile. Unless you’re like me where anything of value I attempt to move becomes an obstacle contact sensor.
It’s the stress of F.%@#n up a pricey toy. It happens to me all the time. Always best to take your time with it. Was really worried I’d break the flux bands. Plastic clips vs my tradie hands. Scary stuff

The left and right side numbers of the time circuit display are kind of dim. Not sure if this is a bad LED or just the way they light the box from the inside.

Could be my old eyes but the wheels have just a barely noticeable amount of speckling. I would describe it as if it sat on a shelf for a month without dusting. I have Mike’s Mods Good Year rub ons (and also the diecast magnetic swappable plates) and the speckling won’t interfere with the effect at all.

Congrats on it arriving safe! Unfortunately, both of those items are fairly well known and common. The degree to which the LEDs fill in and how much speckle there is on the tires varies (it's purposeful "weathering" for the Mark II), but both have some degree of that going on.

The speckles haven't bothered me once I displayed it and are hardly visible but I've been thinking about getting inside that dash and adding some lighting or perhaps diffusing it better somehow. For now those, most of the interior looks great.

The lighting is much brighter when using USB vs batteries. You might find the interior lights are actually great if you power it via USB.
Thanks. It’s USB now and it really does look fine. I’ll look at some video reviews to see if I’m nitpicking or if there’s actually a problem. I’m going to open it up to do this anyway:

Hot Toys Back to the Future II - DeLorean - Mods

The lighting is much brighter when using USB vs batteries. You might find the interior lights are actually great if you power it via USB.
Oh really? This is a GREAT tip if that pans out...thanks for mentioning it! I haven't even tried my USB yet but will now.

Oh really? This is a GREAT tip if that pans out...thanks for mentioning it! I haven't even tried my USB yet but will now.
USB gives you ~5v vs ~4.5v you get from 3 AA/AAA batteries, so as long as the Delorean circuitry lets that pass through as-is you’ll theoretically get about a 10% “boost” in voltage so I would set expectations accordingly. Other obvious benefit is that it doesn’t drop over time like batteries. @cdx008 has a mod thread (linked in my previous post) and when he measured the voltage going to the LEDs it drops off a bit. Now, if I could only find a clear/transparent USB-C cable to blend in with the stand …

Last edited:
Yep, I haven't been able to find a clear USB cable either. However I guess the cable inside is always going to show. But better than white or black.

Actually maybe silver/grey would be an option if they are available ??

Back