Hot Toys Back to the Future II - 1/6th scale DeLorean Time Machine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pulling the wheels straight out without any wiggling sounds good in theory, but if they're really stuck in there I'd think the force from pulling would still end up snapping something.

Pulling the wheels straight out without any wiggling sounds good in theory, but if they're really stuck in there I'd think the force from pulling would still end up snapping something.
I don't have the car so my opinion is only based on what I've seen here and on YouTube. I don't think his comment about the wiggling is correct.
He hasn't broke his so he is only guessing. Granted the wiggling that will be adding torsion certainly won't help matters.

Has anyone broke one yet before turning the wheel into hover mode?

When the tyres aren't out far enough the rubber pushes against the chassis and the leverage wins the fight over the weakest part of the assembly.

I don't have the car so my opinion is only based on what I've seen here and on YouTube. I don't think his comment about the wiggling is correct.
He hasn't broke his so he is only guessing. Granted the wiggling that will be adding torsion certainly won't help matters.

Has anyone broke one yet before turning the wheel into hover mode?

When the tyres aren't out far enough the rubber pushes against the chassis and the leverage wins the fight over the weakest part of the assembly.
I'm wondering if some of them arrived broken but it was impossible to even see it until you started pulling the wheels out to do the hover conversion.

I'm wondering if some of them arrived broken but it was impossible to even see it until you started pulling the wheels out to do the hover conversion.
Correct. I see some people saying it arrived broken even when doing the conversion correctly. Just piss poor QC from Hot Toys and them being cheap/stupid by making the connection point/hinge a cheap flimsy plastic. Should have supported that section better with diecast or a better design.

Eesh, this isn’t good. Glad I’m in on a later batch, hope some improvements are made by then. Honestly, if I can get it to hover mode without any damage, I’ll just leave it like that for good. I have the Part I version already for the ‘natural wheels’ style.

Got mine in today. Set it up on the stand before trying to pull out the wheels and I will say, it takes a good bit of force to pull them out but I had no issues. You definitely need to just pull them straight out as far as they can before trying to flip the wheels. They come out quite a bit more than you would expect. I hooked it up with the usb-c cable and the lights and details are really something. I am 100% happy with how it turned out and looks very badass in flight mode.

I’m curious what instructions HT gives with the actual package with regards to the wheels.

You can see one of the wheels gets stuck on this review (at about 5:09) - not broken but it isn't rotating down correctly either.

I hadn't noticed the speckling on the undercarriage until this video, matching what we see on the tires. I'm about 95% sure that's over-spray and not some weird "weathering" effect some have said was done on purpose. Considering how much costs have gone up in general (inflation, etc), the late hover changes and how they've skimped on things like the box, I can't imagine they'd spend more time/effort to add anything to already good looking parts.

If anyone out there has theirs already and is willing to try it, a Scotchbrite pad and some rubbing alcohol should remove over-spray from the tires just as it does on real cars. Perhaps try it on the inside tire just in case it affects the plastic paint finish around the hub. I'd love to see if it comes off...I bet it will.

1.JPG

Sideshow (usually) posts a scan of the instructions on the product page under the Related Media section. Delorean instructions link here.

Spoiler warning- not much on the wheels.
I would have expected more. It does show them out of the wheel arch by a lot though.

I hadn't noticed the speckling on the undercarriage until this video, matching what we see on the tires. I'm about 95% sure that's over-spray and not some weird "weathering" effect some have said was done on purpose. Considering how much costs have gone up in general (inflation, etc), the late hover changes and how they've skimped on things like the box, I can't imagine they'd spend more time/effort to add anything to already good looking parts.

If anyone out there has theirs already and is willing to try it, a Scotchbrite pad and some rubbing alcohol should remove over-spray from the tires just as it does on real cars. Perhaps try it on the inside tire just in case it affects the plastic paint finish around the hub. I'd love to see if it comes off...I bet it will.

View attachment 626261
It does appear like overspray. I'm curious how that overspray would happen. They obviously haven't sprayed the wheels with the tyres on.
Literally, how did it happen?

View attachment 626261
Yeah looks like overspray to me to, Maybe using a clay bar would get rid of it?

Someone said the delorean came with chunks in the plastic so they are for sure coming like that

That speckling looks way too evenly applied to be overspray. And overspray from what exactly? It's lighter in color than anything else on the car from what I can see.

We saw some speckling on the tires at secret base as well, in more of a brown color, so I'm thinking the factory must have simply chosen the wrong color for their weathering. Which is something else that may get corrected in a later batch.

View attachment 626261
Looks too uniform to be overspray. Overspray would be on some pieces and not on others.

My thinking is that they wanted to make it look less plasticy and "cheap" looking, which a plain unpainted plastic moulded part would look like. Especially on the exposed underside when in hover mode.

Back