Hot Toys Avatar: 1/6th scale Avatar Jake Sully Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Avatar: 1/6th scale Avatar Jake Sully Collectible Figure

Domestically, if you figure in reward points, he's $299.25 out the door at Sideshow. So I guess he's coming out about the same in the long run as other stores by the time you figure in shipping and no points.

Pretty much... RP and free shipping pretty much balances out the 10% off you'd get from a retailer. And at that point I'd go with the direct customer service from Sideshow.

I recently had an issue with a HT product bought from a Sideshow retailer. Basically had to go through the retailer and did not get a very satisfactory resolution.

Eh, yeah. You ever hear back from Andy Bergholtz? Is it you Shai?

Via Facebook:

ShaiLee Wood :
Bergholtz, tell the truth !!! Did you based Zartan's likeness on me ?

Andy Bergholtz Sculpture: I can neither confirm or deny...

:rock

Well, sheet. I wonder if he could tell you...if it were true or not.

im happy with the price This is gonna be worth a lot someday too. Count on it.

Well, sheet. I wonder if he could tell you...if it were true or not.

Man... I'd say it's based on Shai.

If they'd use TheJosh for a figure, Shai's gotta be a lock. At least that is what I choose to believe :lecture

$315? Are they insane? That's about $100 more than it ought to be for what it is. Sure its tall, but its also super skinny; they essentially took a 12" figure and stretched it to 18"; any additional material is minimal.

And before anyone says "I think your comment may win the prize for the dumbest one yet in this thread... do you really think the arms, torso, legs, etc. are the same thickness as a standard figure? This thing is all around massive in comaprison to a 12" figure. Even when you take size out of the equation this is a highly articulated, unique body that is fully painted. That is where the cost comes from, not just stretching it out a bit :slap"

I just wanna point out, the SS Zartan is based on Shai. That is all. :wave

I had a feeling it was going to be around this price. But I'd rather use the money for the Joker PF.

$315? Are they insane? That's about $100 more than it ought to be for what it is. Sure its tall, but its also super skinny; they essentially took a 12" figure and stretched it to 18"; any additional material is minimal.

And before anyone says "I think your comment may win the prize for the dumbest one yet in this thread... do you really think the arms, torso, legs, etc. are the same thickness as a standard figure? This thing is all around massive in comaprison to a 12" figure. Even when you take size out of the equation this is a highly articulated, unique body that is fully painted. That is where the cost comes from, not just stretching it out a bit :slap"

I just wanna point out, the SS Zartan is based on Shai. That is all. :wave

It's probably also the stuff like the feathers, and depending on what it's made out of, the hair and costume pieces.

I can some what understand why its priced the way it is...

First: yes it is a whole 6 inches taller then the normal figures.

Second: The whole body needs to be painted + the head.

Third: LED light stand ( i could have done without this)

Forth: Its a body that has no useful application after this run. They cant reuse this body for anything else other then avatar atm.

and I am not sure about whats going on with the hair but the amount of detail put in to the back of the head with all the feathers and junk looks like a lot of work.

I was thinking Tron bike cost to be honest.

I don't understand these sort of justifications or the others that people have put out. I don't mean to be argumentative, I just truly don't see how people can say it's worth the price because the body needs to be painted or that it's a unique body or the outfit is intricate, etc. Maybe I'm missing something, but once you forget the height, which alone can't be said to account for the price, I don't see how it's that much more of a unique or demanding project than, say, the Big Chap Alien or the Weathered Skin T-600 or even the Alien Dallas/Kane figures.

I think there's a number of figures in the past have proved that a light-up base, a painted body, intricate clothing, and other things you're pointing to do not equal a greatly increased price tag.

And with the body it's not like they've gone outside of anything they've ever done before - this appears to be simply a taller body that's taken the same approach they have with most bodies today. It's not some wild advancement, it's nothing that seems to have forced them to re-think all they've done before.

Still, I don't think they're charging such a high price because they think people will pay anything for an 'Avatar' figure, I think there's something more to it than that. As I think about it now, I think it's maybe just a matter of increased prices overall, of a calculated new era in pricing. Maybe this is inching us towards a day where $300 is the new $200, and that $170 - 190 is the new low-point. The price of the 'Sucker Punch' figures seem to me to be another unlikely price, another possible example of a change in the pricing approach. Maybe what we have here is the dawn of a new and magical era.

Yup this bad-boy is a real investment... its especially hard for me ( & I'm sure for most of you) since I'm used to purchasing HT figs in doubles

I cant wait to see all the complainers eating their words when this figure comes out!! Same as berserker pred "oh the size is wrong", "preds were $150 now $200...why" and now all you see is nothing but love for zerk

Pass for me as well. But I think this looks very cool hehe...

I cant wait to see all the complainers eating their words when this figure comes out!! Same as berserker pred "oh the size is wrong", "preds were $150 now $200...why" and now all you see is nothing but love for zerk

I totally agree, One cant have a legitimate opinion about a figure unless they actually have it in hand...thats when you can really judge

Not really too surprised by the price. Pass on Jake for me though. I'll wait for Neyteri.

Wait, this is $315? Are they ____ing crazy? I predicted $250 and thought that was pushing it a bit...

He's a skinny, naked, blue Alien with feathers, a gun, and hundreds of unpleasant joints showing.. Still a nice figure, but $315? Really?

His facial expression is also rather "WTF"ish.

Back