Hot Toys Avatar: 1/6th scale Avatar Jake Sully Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Avatar: 1/6th scale Avatar Jake Sully Collectible Figure

Wait, this is $10.49? Are they ____ing crazy? I predicted $7.50 and thought that was pushing it a bit...

He's a skinny, naked, blue Alien with feathers, a gun, and hundreds of unpleasant joints showing.. Still a nice figure, but $10.49? Really?

His facial expression is also rather "WTF"ish.

Erm...okay..

The Predator figures have several accessories, more detail, etc..

Don't get why the price on this is so high. Well, unless they just think everyone loves Avatar..

I cant wait to see all the complainers eating their words when this figure comes out!! Same as berserker pred "oh the size is wrong", "preds were $150 now $200...why" and now all you see is nothing but love for zerk

I was a 'complainer' about the Berserker's size as compared to the prototype and I now no longer care, have the figure and think its great. Wouldn't say I'm eating my words though - I never doubted that the figure would be great in hand.

I'm starting to see a worrying pattern with HT of late. Several poor releases and rising costs. It is starting to feel like a "rip the suckers off, they love everything we do scenario" IMO.

Obviously they are doing some great work as well. But it feels like over expansion and stretching of talent too quickly. I have never seen this many new announcements releases from them..

And of course I still want to buy and preorder everything..

now hoping for an avatar exo suit!:hi5:now that would be too expensive i'd say $900:thud:

Erm...okay..

The Predator figures have several accessories, more detail, etc..

Don't get why the price on this is so high. Well, unless they just think everyone loves Avatar..
this figure is bigger than Predator figures. much bigger. also, which do you think costs HT more - the Predator license, or the Avatar license?

At these prices, we will never see complete lines......

What is a complete line? Sure I'd love to see both versions of Grace, but I don't think I'd really want to spend $500 for the 2 of them.

A complete line would be Jake, Neyteri and Quaritch and that's probably all we'll see (unless Jake doesn't sell and then this is it).

For a standard figure (so what, it's big) to be over $300 is insane. This will be the end of Hot Toys! (Not really, because we are all insane and won't stop ever!)

But, this figure should be the "Jumping the Shark" moment for them.

I don't understand these sort of justifications or the others that people have put out. I don't mean to be argumentative, I just truly don't see how people can say it's worth the price because the body needs to be painted or that it's a unique body or the outfit is intricate, etc. Maybe I'm missing something, but once you forget the height, which alone can't be said to account for the price, I don't see how it's that much more of a unique or demanding project than, say, the Big Chap Alien or the Weathered Skin T-600 or even the Alien Dallas/Kane figures.

I think there's a number of figures in the past have proved that a light-up base, a painted body, intricate clothing, and other things you're pointing to do not equal a greatly increased price tag.

And with the body it's not like they've gone outside of anything they've ever done before - this appears to be simply a taller body that's taken the same approach they have with most bodies today. It's not some wild advancement, it's nothing that seems to have forced them to re-think all they've done before.

Still, I don't think they're charging such a high price because they think people will pay anything for an 'Avatar' figure, I think there's something more to it than that. As I think about it now, I think it's maybe just a matter of increased prices overall, of a calculated new era in pricing. Maybe this is inching us towards a day where $300 is the new $200, and that $170 - 190 is the new low-point. The price of the 'Sucker Punch' figures seem to me to be another unlikely price, another possible example of a change in the pricing approach. Maybe what we have here is the dawn of a new and magical era.

There's a huge investment in R&D for a one off figure, not to mention the size. As we've seen the cost of production in China is rising exponentially and the cost of the license has to be considered.

If HT was playing it safe with this line they'd do a human Jake, no one would buy it and the line would be dead.

Yes, I completely agree but in this case their R&D has achieved nothing? No glass eyes, no luminescent lighting feature. Visible ugly joints. I mean it's not exactly obvious what took 2 years development is it?

That ridiculous price could be a turning point between HT and their fans. I cannot see it warranted.

At the end of the day, something is worth 300$ or it's not.

this figure is bigger than Predator figures. much bigger. also, which do you think costs HT more - the Predator license, or the Avatar license?
I suppose the whole license thing makes sense, but the size?
Isn't the Predalien also 18 inches? Of course it doesn't come with any accessories or anything, but still..

Idunno, price seems ridiculous for what you're getting..

Looks like the price really killed the hype for this figure. Posts have slowed down quite a bit.

I don't think you're taking in to account the difficulties and expense of making molds for these figures, not to mention the logistics of planning out how to implement the figure as a mass production item in the most cost-effective way that still translates well from the prototype. As for glass eyes and joints--this is an action figure, not a statue or doll. I have yet to see glass eyes in toys that aren't dolls and the technology for seamless bodies is not yet up to snuff.

human Jake would be a one off body, those polio/pencil legs cost R&D too...easy $200 for HT.:lol

I suppose the whole license thing makes sense, but the size?
Isn't the Predalien also 18 inches? Of course it doesn't come with any accessories or anything, but still..

Idunno, price seems ridiculous for what you're getting..
i'll refer you to Dave's and gunm's comments. but suffice it to say, HT is not Santa's workshop. producing collectibles of this quality is damned expensive and HT won't stay in business long if they continue to give their products away for $150 despite current economic factors.

but the good news is, there's always the Mattel toys.

I think your comment may win the prize for the dumbest one yet in this thread... do you really think the arms, torso, legs, etc. are the same thickness as a standard figure? This thing is all around massive in comaprison to a 12" figure.

Even when you take size out of the equation this is a highly articulated, unique body that is fully painted. That is where the cost comes from, not just stretching it out a bit :slap
Do you really think there's $100 more to this figure than Tracker Predator and his hound? And talk to me about "highly articulated" when we see a pose thats more than slightly squatting.

EPIC ...............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ..............ordered and also bbts got them for 289 guys so get on the ordering because i want to see neytiri

Back