Hot Toys Announce Batman Returns License

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol

Man, as far as I recall, the Joker thug was not able to peel the mask from Wayne's face, thanks to Vale's flash. And it was very different from how Bruce Wayne RIPPED his cowl off with one hand in Returns. But if anything, we saw there that Wayne still hasn't come up with the taser that automatically sets off when someone tries to take off the cowl from Batman, unlike in TDK before SWAT Gordon got Joker (that same trick was also seen in the comics prior to the Nolan movies).

Also, I think you might be the only one who thinks that he's got more than one suit in 89. Me, I think the fact that there were no bullet holes EVEN SOON AFTER JOKER'S THUGS SHOT him makes me think that the 89 suit is supposed to be tougher, and that being a rookie vigilante he thought he didn't have the need for multiples. It was prior to the attempt of peeling his mask off. Remember the line "he's human afterall?"

There's no science involved, maybe. Just us trying to think as we enjoy the movies. And you didn't really have to think deep if it's too obvious.

Mask easly stretched, bullet hole that is not seen in later scenes..:lol
Btmn_0645.jpg

Ending shot, new suit?...
Bat-Signal.jpg

And you can see why the Returns suit looked so much better while filmed in various lighting conditions compared to the 89 suit.
Btmn_0193.jpg

I love the 89 Batman but, the costume did look pretty **** in some scenes.

Yeah, and I definitely prefer that. I like that the '89 suit doesn't look perfect like all the other suits. The other ones have this "mass produced", movie manufactured look, especially the Schumacher ones. They look too perfect and fake.

In fact, the '89 suit is the only suit to get messed up and damaged isn't it? Yeah, in Returns he rips the cowl off and in Begins he's caught on fire by Scarecrow, but I don't recall the suits looking anything but pristine. The '89 one is the only one where he looks like a bloody, cut up, burnt and hurt mess.

The cowl is broken in half by Bane in TDKR... And I think there MAY have been some scuff and tears when Robin pulls him from the rubble in BF, but not sure on that one.

Joker's thugs actually do get the mask off, they just can't see his face because of the dark lighting in the alley.

His mask is definitely off though, hence, Vicki gets a clear shot with flash, hence Batman needs to get those shots off of her so she can't give them to the press.

You gotta brighten up the light to see them and zoom in for the latter, other wise, the audience's perspective is what the thugs and Vicki see, absolutely nothing.

Btmn_0645-1.jpg

Batmanunmasked2-1.jpg

Mask easly stretched, bullet hole that is not seen in later scenes..:lol
Btmn_0645.jpg

Ending shot, new suit?...
Bat-Signal.jpg

And you can see why the Returns suit looked so much better while filmed in various lighting conditions compared to the 89 suit.
Btmn_0193.jpg

I love the 89 Batman but, the costume did look pretty **** in some scenes.

Oh man, thanks for the photos. There's a bullet hole indeed, and I stand corrected. :goodpost:

Excuse me Graham wasn't the "suit designer" obviously those nods go to Ringwood and Hemming, respectively. I apologize if my brief and quick, albeit technically wrong summarization of Churchyard's role in the design process ruffled the feathers of accuracy hounds.

I'm sure Graham played more of a major role on the Nolan films. He was older, more experienced, and was obviously on the great Bob Ringwood's staff for the first film ... which really broke ground with the costume taken seriously on the silver screen. Graham also was the one traveling with the things, and was taking care of them, maintenance, etc.

And yes, he was absolutely very likable and personable. At the time I was posting on a site called SuperHeroHype and I started talking to him about what fans at the time expected out of the reboot (Batman Begins) suit.

I explained how a lot of people wanted a cloth suit, with more flexibility that featured the black and grey color tones and he thought that was very interesting.

I insisted to him I was not one of those people. I feel the Batman is most threatening and logical to be dressed in all black, and that improved flexibility is nice but there needs to be visual proof to the audience of some form of armor.

DarkMagic,

I wasn't trying to sound like my post was dripping with sarcasm. I appreciate the correction.

That's cool, just wanted to point out as well that I wasn't trying to correct you or say "well actually graham churchyard done this or that" was more kind of agreeing with you and expanding on your comment, as some said they hadn't heard of him. :peace :) also really cool that you met him and got to speak to him.

i think that most of the credit even for the newer nolan series goes to burton and ringwood costum designer because they are responsible for the traditions and hallmarks of the movie batmans that we know today. nolan simply took what burton started 20 years ago and expanded upon it into something that is a bit different. but despite all the praise nolan gets, i still give ALL the credit to burtons decisions because he is the one who made batman what he is today in film.

The Begins suit, sure. But I wouldn't say that about the Dark Knight suit. It went in a pretty different direction as far as construction and look goes.

I mean, yeah, it's still rubber and makes Batman immobile (sure, he can turn his head and is a little more flexible, but he certainly isn't agile or fast in that thing) but, again, with construction, it's nothing like the '89 Batman suit, or the Begins suit, or any of the Batman costumes really. It's pretty much it's own thing.

The TDK suit probably has more in common with Green Goblin's suit from 2002 Spider-Man.

Another reason why the design sucks.

The TDK suit probably has more in common with Green Goblin's suit from 2002 Spider-Man.

Yeah, closer to that than any Batman suits.

I mean, he doesn't even have a cowl any more, he has a helmet, just like Gobby. Make the Goblin suit black instead of green, give it a cape, and you got yourself a TDK suit.

i think that most of the credit even for the newer nolan series goes to burton and ringwood costum designer because they are responsible for the traditions and hallmarks of the movie batmans that we know today. nolan simply took what burton started 20 years ago and expanded upon it into something that is a bit different. but despite all the praise nolan gets, i still give ALL the credit to burtons decisions because he is the one who made batman what he is today in film.

Really?? Do tell. How specifically? If you're talking about the characterization / "seriousness" of the character and his world---ever heard of Denny O'Neil, Frank Miller and Jeph Loeb? Nolan wasn't expanding on what Burton started...he was going directly back to the post-camp comics as inspiration. Batman Begins has way more in common with Year One than anything Burton did. Similarly, The Dark Knight is pretty heavily influenced by The Long Halloween.

If you're talking about costume design--Yes, Bob Ringwood's all-black, all-rubber, one-piece costume design was the base on which almost every Batman movie costume design was built, up to and including Begins. But if you look more closely, you'll notice that every Batsuit since Ringwood's first design got more and more flashy/shiny and impractical for a night creature...until Begins did a 180, went with an almost completely matte black and simple look. Then there's the TDK-suit. Some love it, some hate it for it's motorcycle-suit look...but regardless about how you feel about it, it is pretty revolutionary as the most flexible 'modern' movie Batsuit ever, and the first one to give him full range of movement with his head (not counting Adam West's spandex of course).

I correlate TDK suit with retirement now, not with Batman. :lol

It's like when I see it I think of my parents collecting SS in Florida and not crime fighting. :lol

I correlate TDK suit with retirement now, not with Batman. :lol

It's like when I see it I think of my parents collecting SS in Florida and not crime fighting. :lol

I sort of feel the same way. He's not "The Dark Knight" in that suit thats for sure. He's "trying really hard to do good" Bruce. Sounds like a meme. I mean I know it happened fighting Bane, but the guy broke his back. Its like a call you get from your grandparents, it doesn't kill them, you're just like you know you're too old for that right?

I thought we were not supposed to bring up this thread unless there was something to bring up.....:nono

Or is there something to bring up......

Last edited:
Back