Hot Toys 1/6 Darth Vader figure | Obi-Wan Kenobi Disney+

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C'mon hot toys, if you give us another clean vader, at least make it a real leather, you do it for wolverine, why not vader?
Wow I just noticed they did, InArts really scared the crap out of Hot Toys 😂

Ok, the groin-plate for this figure is bad. Its very distracting.

And its always struck me that the whole groin-plate is very badly designed. The placement of and the size of the opening would be a nightmare for access, not trying to be funny here but it does not even line up properly to actual male anatomy and its too small. That whole part of the suit needs a redesign; Vader deserves better.

Not sure how much of his human anatomy is left, even but this feature just seems really low rent for someone of Vader's status. Meanwhile, in HT-ville the way this looks reduces the appearance of this collectible.

There's no pictures of Vader post-Kenobi fight? I couldn't find any.
ef5XoXx.png

And its always struck me that the whole groin-plate is very badly designed. The placement of and the size of the opening would be a nightmare for access, not trying to be funny here but it does not even line up properly to actual male anatomy and its too small. That whole part of the suit needs a redesign; Vader deserves better.

Not sure how much of his human anatomy is left, even but this feature just seems really low rent for someone of Vader's status. Meanwhile, in HT-ville the way this looks reduces the appearance of this collectible.
As I understand it the Emperor did give Vader some pretty crappy and older tech for his suit/limbs…maybe this was just another one of those things to make Vader even more miserable

Yes I think I am going to wait for the ROTS version, the design is too similar to the RO.
Personally I just have too much on my plate right now, so I'd rather wait. I was already counting on the ROTS anniversary for a Vader anyhow. And I need the chain, small detail as it is. Not to mention that by then maybe they'll have switched to real leather. I'm fine with waiting. I just hope the ROTS 20th will bring us Anakin & Obi-Wan re-issues, plus Chancellor Palpatine, Fresh Vader and maybe a Senatorial Padme. That'd complete my small Prequel collection (I'd love a Dooku as well, but I doubt they'd reissue him and he'd break the uniformality of my PT getup as I've chosen to structure my SW display in a specific way).

Yes, real leather would be the icing on the cake. About time they get to it if some third party companies are doing it already (yes, that Raider Jones fig and the upcoming T2 one)

I did notice one difference from the R1 figure! The brow of this dome, it's rounded in the front while retaining the Y indent. That's a feature unique to Kenobi Vader. All other Vaders have either the smooth brow without indent, or pointy brow with indent.

Although at a glance, everything else still looks like it's probably the same kit as R1 even if it shouldn't be. I guess they've only gotten as far as that one dome mod.
Most notably, the chest armor should be a different shape (slightly more like RotS). The cod piece should be a bit different than the R1 diaper, flatter. The cape collar should be wider and exposed with a hanging chain. On the chest box, I can't see the top straps, but I do still see the side straps. Box straps should not be present at all on Kenobi vader (like RotS). And I think the three grey buttons on the chest box should be a slightly darker grey than R1. The lightsaber should also be ANH style (not ESB/R1 style) but I can't see it well in these photos.

That's all just the bare minimum for Kenobi accuracy though. I'm still not interested until they battle damage it.
The chest box strap situation could be solved by magnets. And then it would also allow the buyer to swap between clean and damaged boxes easily.

Ksl8thS.jpg
Hm, I'm not seeing the brow as well as you.

I know the eyes on the helmet need to follow the rim of the helmet more for the Obi Wan Kenobi version whereas these drop down.

Considering how Hot Toys revealed Obi Wan and put up his solicitations immediately after, I have a feeling they're still working on revealing Darth Vader for an upcoming event. At least I'm hoping.

Hm, I'm not seeing the brow as well as you.

I know the eyes on the helmet need to follow the rim of the helmet more for the Obi Wan Kenobi version whereas these drop down.

Considering how Hot Toys revealed Obi Wan and put up his solicitations immediately after, I have a feeling they're still working on revealing Darth Vader for an upcoming event. At least I'm hoping.
Here, I will highlight the difference for you below, continuing to compare the R1 figure with the Kenobi proto.
The eyes should remain identical, it's the "brow" above them on the dome (which you refer to as the "rim") that changes.
And as mentioned, previous Vader costumes had either the smooth brow or the Y indent, it's unique to Kenobi to have both simultaneously.
(Y indent was previously only seen on pointy-brow domes, and some suspect for this show they literally shaved down the R1 dome.)

LXchBWo.gif

Last edited:
The ANH sharp-point is the best!

Shaving the point and setting the helmet slightly back to reveal the eyes "brow" line in ESB just softens Vader's menace a bit.

Absolutely. I love how angry it makes him look to have the low-sitting point.

Emotionally it made sense for the story to subtly soften his look as the original trilogy went on, but I'll always love the angry brow. Was thrilled to see it in R1 and a bit disappointed not to see it in OWK, although since the OWK suit intentionally takes some subtle influence from the RotS suit, I can't complain. Plus it again could be being used as a visual indication of his emotional state, inbetween two points during OWK and not leaving his emotional past behind until the end of the series. Pointy-brow Vader could be an indication of a focused and emotionally detached Vader, pure evil, whereas smooth brow means he has some emotional turbulence.

Pointy, ANH:
xqZSGMXl.png

Smooth, RotJ:
5KQHojml.jpg

Last edited:

Vader deserved the Chris O'Donnell Robin cod piece treatment!

Isn't it called widow's peak and as far as I know people used to hate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back