Hot Toys – MMS202D04 - 1/6th scale RoboCop Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Corrupt corporations are hardly unique to a single presidency. In that regard RoboCop is just as relevant today as it was in 1987.

Oh of course its' not unique but Regan did start the credit card "we can have it all" boom and as I said capitalism became a whole new animal under him.

This isn't my opinion. This is all already out there! :)

Oh of course its' not unique but Regan did start the credit card "we can have it all" boom and as I said capitalism became a whole new animal under him.

This isn't my opinion. This is all already out there! :)

Corrupt corporations are one aspect of the story but that's not what it's "about." If you listen to the director commentary its more of a hard boiled Christ story.

Paul Verhoeven: How you do [a remake] now, you’d have to go into all of the digital world, and I’m not sure that would improve the soul of the movie, you know? The point of Robocop, of course, it is a Christ story. It is about a guy who gets crucified in the first 50 minutes, and then is resurrected in the next 50 minutes, and then is like the supercop of the world, but is also a Jesus figure as he walks over water at the end. Walking over water was in the steel factory in Pittsburgh, and there was water there, and I put something just underneath the water so he could walk over the water and say that wonderful line, “I am not arresting you anymore.” Meaning, I’m going to shoot you. And that is of course the American Jesus.

Read more: https://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2010/04/paul-verhoeven-robocop-was-a-jesus-metaphor#ixzz2XLahdKoa

Sorry but I think I'll take the director's word over yours. ;)

Corrupt corporations are one aspect of the story but that's not what it's
"about." If you listen to the director commentary its more of a hard boiled Christ story.

Sorry but I think I'll take the director's word over yours. ;)

“I am not arresting you anymore.” Meaning, I’m going to shoot you. And that is of course the American Jesus."

What exactly do you think he is saying there? do you think that's a compliment?

I assume then that the TV adverts throughout the movie and the whole plot with **** Jones vrs Bob what's his face is all just background material?

Last edited:
You are quoting the director's words but are you understanding the directors words?

“I am not arresting you anymore.” Meaning, I’m going to shoot you. And that is of course the American Jesus."

What exactly do you think he is saying there? do you think that's a compliment?

Oh I know that Verhoeven doesn't have a Biblical view of Jesus or that Robocop isn't supposed to represent Biblical Jesus but rather an "American" take on him. Those Americans (or whoever else) who worship Jesus but still want him to "kick ***" or wipe out non-believers or what have you. Obviously that's not a complimentary view, but those people do exist and the film recognizes that. Obviously Verhoeven's assumption that *all* of America views Jesus in such a manner is amiss.

However I find it interesting that after Murphy said "I'm not arresting you anymore," he did NOT shoot Clarence. He could have from the other side of the pool if he wanted to. Why did he call his name? Why walk toward him so slowly? Oh I know, "dramatic drawn out movie cliche," BUT given that he's the Christ figure I also see Murphy as pausing to give Boddiker one last chance. What do you want Clarence, salvation or damnation? You're on your death bed here, make the call...."

That's how I see it. As an American and a Christian I'm not offended at all.

I assume then that the TV adverts throughout the movie and the whole plot with **** Jones vrs Bob what's his face is all just background material?

The TV commercials were added after the first cut was given an X-rating (NC-17 didn't exist at that time) by the MPAA. Verhoeven reworked the movie several times, sometimes trimming violence and sometimes adding extra comedy to lighten the tone of the movie.

Ironically he thought that the "X-rated" violence was so over the top that it was impossible to take seriously and that by cutting the bloodshed to a more "realistic" level the theatrical movie actually ended up MORE disturbing than when it got the X.

That's how I see it. As an American and a Christian I'm not offended at all.

Oh I am not saying you neccessarly should be.
No more than I should be offended by Irish being depicted as heavy drinkers in movies.

If you don't think one of Robocop's major themes is American Corporate greed and overt capitalistic nature then fair enough.

I am sure this left wing Dutch director never says what he wants you to hear. ;)

Ed Neumeier stated that he actually wrote the script in 1981 after seeing a poster for Blade Runner and having no idea what it was about. Reagan would have only been in office a few months at that point.

Oh I am not saying you neccessarly should be.
No more than I should be offended by Irish being depicted as heavy drinkers in movies.

If you don't think one of Robocop's major themes is American Corporate greed and overt capitalistic nature then fair enough.

I am sure this left wing Dutch director never says what he wants you to hear. ;)

Oh I know that corporate corruption and consumerism is a dark element of America and that the film calls it out, I just don't think that they define our country or are exclusive to our country to the point where any film that includes those themes is automatically anti-American.

Ed Neumeier stated that he actually wrote the script in 1981 after seeing a poster for Blade Runner and having no idea what it was about. Reagan would have only been in office a few months at that point.

So what? The script clearly evolved and the adverts added in later on proves is in line with that.

Let me ask you this then, why the Nukem advert?

Oh I know that corporate corruption and consumerism is a dark element of America and that the film calls it out, I just don't think that they define our country or are exclusive to our country to the point where any film that includes those themes is automatically anti-American.

No my guess is no American would say that defines their country.

A left leaning highly liberal Dutch director might though. ;)

So what? The script clearly evolved and the adverts added in later on proves is in line with that.

Let me ask you this then, why the Nukem advert?

What do you mean "clearly" evolved. How can you possibly know that? I saw the Nukem ad as both poking fun at the notion that most problems can be solved with the threat of nuclear attack (because that always calms things down, according to a certain Avenger ;)) and just the increasing level of violence in family entertainment. Years before Mortal Kombat, Quake, Call of Duty, etc., I find that ad incredibly prophetic.

No my guess is no American would say that defines their country.

A left leaning highly liberal Dutch director might though. ;)

So you're asking why we like the movie if those are Verhoeven's personal beliefs? I just want to be clear before I respond.

What do you mean "clearly" evolved.

You said the adverts were added later yes? Therefore the narritive evolved.

I saw the Nukem ad as both poking fun at the notion that most problems can be solved with the threat of nuclear attack (because that always calms things down, according to a certain Avenger ;)) and just the increasing level of violence in family entertainment. Years before Mortal Kombat, Quake, Call of Duty, etc., I find that ad incredibly prophetic.

Well there is some of that but it more about how America sees (or doesn't as the case is in Robocop) the rest of the world and making a game of real world events illustrating the certain level of obliviousness.

3qyfdn.jpg

It's pretty much a big middle figure to American culture.

Is it ironic that if this was the director's purpose in making the movie, his career was made by some of the most greedy and capitalistic companies in the world (movie studios), aided by American consumerism (movie goers)? Talk about a hypocrite.

So you're asking why we like the movie if those are Verhoeven's personal beliefs? I just want to be clear before I respond.

No! I am asking why a movie that is very critical of America is so popular in America.

My theory is that most Americans don't see that is very critical of America....which is becoming apparent. ;)

Two lines from **** Jones that focus on the corporate corruption theme of Robocop.

"I had a guarantee military sale with ED 209. Renovation program. Spare parts for 25 years. Who cares if it worked or not?"

"Probably just a glitch."

Also, the Jesus theme is pretty obvious.

The audio commentary on the Criterion DVD is utterly fascinating, and really gives a lot of insight into what Verhoeven, Neumeier, and Davison were thinking.

Is it ironic that if this was the director's purpose, his career was made by some of the most greedy and capitalistic companies in the world (movie studios), aided by American consumerism (movie goers)? Talk about a hypocrite.

That's a very silly thing to say dude.

I assume then that critical opinion should never happen then? Every movie should be about how awesome stuff is I guess!

My theory is that most Americans don't see that is very critical of America....which is becoming apparent. ;)

I think most people are apathetic to the criticism though. We're definitely used to it by now. America is such a large and diverse culture that unless it calls me out specifically, I don't take offense to the generalizations people make about the country as a whole. Most of the time you can find some truth in the criticism, but it doesn't apply to everyone. This country is not perfect, just better than everyone else

:ccheerlea :flag :wink1:

Last edited:
That's a very silly thing to say dude.

I assume then that critical opinion should never happen then? Every movie should be about how awesome stuff is I guess!

I don't think you understand my point. If Verhoeven truly thinks capitalism and greed are a bad thing, yet he is willing to benefit financially from them doesn't that make his position a bit disingenuous.

Back