Hot Toys – MMS172 - Avengers: Hawkeye

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys – MMS??? - Avengers: Hawkeye

Hands down one of the lamest figures by Hot Toys. I wanted to get the whole Avengers team but I can't justify spending money on this trash.

True. Although, 'lame' might not be the correct word.
It is a visually boring character, that's all. A guy with a bow. Nothing exciting really, especially next to the rest of the team.

Easy pass for me.

It also boggles my mind people will spend $200-300-400-500+ on a bloody awful custom made figure that looks nothing like the character, yet you never see thousands of posts complaining about the custom accuracy. Then when Hot Toys puts out a beautiful sculpt like this, we get flooded by haters and they complain the price is too high. I just don't get it.:dunno

Customs are art, man. You don't tell Picasso that his art looks blocky and ugly. You don't tell Van Gogh he's a dumbass for cutting off his ear to impress his girlfriend.

Hot Toys is a big faceless corporation, they have no feelings, feel free to talk ____ on them all day long, nobody over there reads this forum anyways.

True. Although, 'lame' might not be the correct word.
It is a visually boring character, that's all. A guy with a bow. Nothing exciting really, especially next to the rest of the team.

Easy pass for me.

Whether I agree or disagree, What were you expecting from HT with Hawkeye and Fury? These are 1/6 likenesses of the characters created for this movie. Were the 1/6 versions suppose to be better than the real thing? We've known roughly what all of these are going to look like for a while now. :dunno

:exactly::goodpost: This is a beautifully done figure. For all of us who love the Avengers and want these figures, i think most of us are really happy. :) A lot of people hating on this had no intentions of even buying Hawkeye anyway, but they cant resist the urge to post. If they think Hawkeye is boring or whatever, so be it. They can move on. But they dont. they keep posting away the same message over and over.

And when it comes time, im willing to bet a lot of people who are grumpy now a lot will wind up buying him because I see it all the time with other figures. They hate on them, yet they buy them anyway...makes no sense to me, but whatever...

:exactly:

This.

your missing my point and to mention Picasso or Van Gogh and try to compare them to toys is nonsense. My point was that Hot Toys artists get hated on this site all the time, yet i never see custom artist get killed when their work is not nearly as good and is more expensive than Hot Toys.

HTs is not faceless. Seen a few posts on many different sites about their work and who they are. Many people on here know their names and keep track of who sculpts which figure.

There's only about half a dozen sculptors/customizers on here that do work that is as good and sometimes better than HT.

When those guys sculpt stuff that people think have inaccuracies, many people are certainly vocal about it - it's caused many a heated thread. So I think it's inaccurate to suggest that customizers don't get scrutinized.

The other sculptors/customizers which are not part of the top tier get a lot more leeway with their work in terms of critique because people generally want to encourage them and see them improve.

Now why does HT get so scrutinized? Because they are the top company in 1/6 (at least in terms of size) and have some of the best sculptors in the world working for them, so when something looks off or doesn't look as detailed or good as some of HT's other work, chances are, they could have done a better job and therefore people will point out the perceived flaws.

Comparing prices of customs and HT releases again is apples and oranges.

It's always going to cost significantly more to put together a custom figure than it is to but something mass produced off the shelf, that's pretty simple economics :dunno

I don´t even care anymore. Everyone who will collect all the Avengers are very happy now.

All the hate and trolling is the same from every release... People that usually can´t afford the figures trying to justify - probably for themselves - that they won´t get the figure cause it "sucks", and not cause they just can´t...

Hoping for the Captain America next...

I didn't plan on getting this figure, but after seeing the listed price ain't no way. It's an alright looking figure, but it comes with 2/3 of an outfit, a bow, a quiver w/ some arrows, some sunglasses and some hands. I'm just not seeing $190 worth of goodness there. The WWII Captain America came with more than that and was $30 less. Why such a drastic price increase so fast?

Same price as Nick Fury who was between £150-160 over here, I can live with that....

Maybe its a trend with Avengers figure being at $189...or that's gonna be the minimum price point for hot toys figures from now on.

I''M pretty sure order will go fury, hawk, widow,thor,ironman,hulk, and loki somewhere in between .........I ordered b4 flex went up but kinda glad rather save 4 this got enough flex payments already ...anyway glad were one step closer to getting hulk.......

I can understand HT moving away from rubber coatings, in fact many board members will welcome it. But for almost $200 they should consider two sets of arms - sculpted and poseable. Drawing a bow string is a nearly impossible thing for a jointed arm to do and look decent.

They've done plenty of swappable hands and heads. Arms would be a good move on a fig like this.

I LOVE this idea, and it would work amazingly well considering how the attachment point would be easily hidden by his outfit. They could make the attachment point work by just using magnets, which would still allow some degree of rotation. Speaking of which... They should go T-1000 style and add one or two magnetic ends for the arrows... And a reciprocal magnetic plate on a baddie's chest if they make those too! Now I'm just dreaming...

yep price high but only get higher just think we should be able to use rewards points with any free shipping..I guess just gonna save points for a rainy day vader.......

:exactly::goodpost: This is a beautifully done figure. For all of us who love the Avengers and want these figures, i think most of us are really happy. :) A lot of people hating on this had no intentions of even buying Hawkeye anyway, but they cant resist the urge to post. If they think Hawkeye is boring or whatever, so be it. They can move on. But they dont. they keep posting away the same message over and over.

And when it comes time, im willing to bet a lot of people who are grumpy now a lot will wind up buying him because I see it all the time with other figures. They hate on them, yet they buy them anyway...makes no sense to me, but whatever...

I think you're missing our point, or my point at least. I'm not "hating" on a figure, I'm merely trying to recommend possible improvements to make the figure more lifelike as HT has shown the amazing willingness to readjust sculpts to render them more lifelike. Yes, I know they're toys, but what toy company doesn't want to make theirs more representative of the real deal? And to whomever posted this comment earlier, hiring Jeremy Renner to appear in person isn't feasible due to many of us not having millions of dollars or a display case large enough to fit him in... And he'd be out of scale! In the end, I don't thin there's anything wrong with critiquing a figure in an intelligent manner. Despite my 1-2 previous critical posts on this figure, I'll still grab this figure even if I feel the headsculpt is only 80% dead on.

Back