Hot Toy DX08 - BATMAN - The Joker (Jack Nicholson) - Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright went ahead and placed my order for the second batch on OSK. It's definitely a downgrade from the HT figure (the vest being too short in front is the biggest eyesore for me), but otherwise it doesn't really seem too far off from the original.

And I think with a repaint and some modding it could be improved quite a bit. One thing that's always bugged me even on the HT figure were those super long, pencil thin eyebrows, as it's not really accurate to how they looked in the movie at all. And the eyes themselves could use some fixing as well. If I have to ditch the pers system to make them look more realistic, then so be it.

Of course the expression I'd really want to have someday on a Nicholson Joker is this one, as I just love how damn menacing he looks here:

1a4bbf0b92d3865a95663f2580b14077.jpg

A comparison posted by Nate Saad of his DX08 (on the left) with one of the photos posted by Mars:

jjjj.jpg

Couldn't help but notice on Kit's unboxing video that the hat had a dent in the side of the crown:

vlcsnap-2022-03-26-08h15m16s418.jpg

vlcsnap-2022-03-26-08h17m06s737.jpg

That's not meant to be like that is it?

Other photos, along with those of the original, seem to show it should be completely circular.

Alot of futzing needed, I think some extra padding will help. For the price looks pretty good! Good spot on the hat I hope they all aren't like that. 😬

Good call on the padding.

It's not a trait typical to the Joker's traditional look, but it was to Nicholson's portrayal.

51d5+gJHEUL._AC_.jpg

They 100% used hot toys version for promo you can tell from undersuit and buttons on coat.

Price though is a really good.... always regret selling my dx08 as it didn't fit my old collection but now 100% fits.

Couldn't help but notice on Kit's unboxing video that the hat had a dent in the side of the crown:

View attachment 568967

View attachment 568968

That's not meant to be like that is it?

Other photos, along with those of the original, seem to show it should be completely circular.
Confirm the hat is defect :cry: My colleague didn't notice that

I just asked Joao for the one he has on hand now, his hat is all fine

Attachments

• WeChat 圖片_20220326185229.jpg
    WeChat 圖片_20220326185229.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 35
They 100% used hot toys version for promo you can tell from undersuit and buttons on coat.

Price though is a really good.... always regret selling my dx08 as it didn't fit my old collection but now 100% fits.
Yeah I'm kicking myself for not taking someone up on his offer of $350 for the HT figure a couple years ago. But that was a period where I was trying to downsize my collection and I just wasn't feeling enough interest in having a Nicholson Joker.

It's looking pretty good. Just needs a bit of futzing.

I have the padded suit from Hot Toys' ROTJ Boba Fett that I'll try on him.

I always thought I was going to display him in the tailcoat, but like Joao, I'm also liking the overcoat now. :unsure:

I also always thought that the tailcoat was his iconic look, because that's what I grew up with. However, in his first appearance in Batman #1 in April 1940, he was wearing an overcoat.

j.jpg

No comparison with the DX08 in that video. He must be planning a second dedicated to that.

EDIT:

According to his comment on Youtube the comparison video is...

Uploading tomorrow! It’s done already

The original was a great looking figure.
It’s so well done with very few nits to pick at. Had they included another sculpt that didn’t have hat hair or designed it so that an entire hair piece could be swapped so it looked like TheFiend’s custom then it would’ve brought it to a whole new level.

Hopefully the sales of the Mars Joker will be a good indication not only to HT but InArt as well that there’s still interest in the ‘89 Batman line and money to be made. I’d love to see the DX08 upgraded by either company and some variation on outfits made.

It’s so well done with very few nits to pick at. Had they included another sculpt that didn’t have hat hair or designed it so that an entire hair piece could be swapped so it looked like TheFiend’s custom then it would’ve brought it to a whole new level.

Hopefully the sales of the Mars Joker will be a good indication not only to HT but InArt as well that there’s still interest in the ‘89 Batman line and money to be made. I’d love to see the DX08 upgraded by either company and some variation on outfits made.
id double down on an 89 joker if inart made it, though i feel it'd be very difficult to acquire his likeness now since he seems really stingy with it as of late. many people missed out on the 89 release who are new collectors. maybe it would fall into rehashing and people growing bored that they're doing yet another clown, but he truly is iconic and nostalgic to many people. but then again, i feel like any joker would sell really well. even a 66 but from what i heard the 66 line that hot toys made didn't sell exactly well when it first released

The DX08 was a such a good looking that I initially pre-ordered two of them, as I wrote before.

There was a time when I saw Batman (1989) as an antidote to the 1960s TV show. There was finally a dark knight in town!

(Later on I learned to appreciate the '66 Batman for what it was, and grew to become a big fan of it. Loved watching them all again on Blu-ray. After all, Cesar Romero's Joker had creeped me out since I was very young. And he still does!)

The one thing that nevertheless overshadowed Batman was the death of the Joker.

As is normally the case when the arrival of a new figure is imminent, I'm prompted to watch the source material again. So it's time to pull the '89 DVD off the shelf.

I didn't even realize that TheFiend's was a custom. I wonder where he got the swap out hair piece

Back