Horror Movies

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love horror - my favorite is probably Halloween.

Dusty, then get on the creative department and make them make Dooley to make a Halloween Michael Myers with a mask that looks like the Shatner mask from the first two films. The figure already realased was good for Halloween 4 and 5, but I want a Shatner mask version.

Blake said:
I'm happy with the way horror has gotten a little more brutal over the last couple of years. I was getting depressed at seeing the watered down PG-13 crap (and j-horror remakes) that were getting thrown into theaters (Dark Water, When a Stranger Calls, anything that has to do with the internet...). The last few years have seen High Tension, Wolf Creek, Hostel, The Hills Have Eyes, and now Slither. We finally have a few writer/directors worth following around again in Eli Roth, Alejandre Aja and James Gunn.

i agree with everything you have said!!! i have also been depressed with the lack of gore in the horror movies and the pg-13 ratings. Aja has another movie that is coming out named The Waiting and it's supposed to be really good. and another good director is Neil Marshall **Dog Soldiers** his newest movie is The Descent and I enjoyed it very much. oh yeah dont forget rob zombie as an emerging horror director. im not a fan of 1000 corpses, but he improved so much with the devil's rejects. and a lot of people say he's gonna be a fantastic director and will help bring the genre back to life.

hairlesswookiee said:
i agree with everything you have said!!! i have also been depressed with the lack of gore in the horror movies and the pg-13 ratings. Aja has another movie that is coming out named The Waiting and it's supposed to be really good. and another good director is Neil Marshall **Dog Soldiers** his newest movie is The Descent and I enjoyed it very much. oh yeah dont forget rob zombie as an emerging horror director. im not a fan of 1000 corpses, but he improved so much with the devil's rejects. and a lot of people say he's gonna be a fantastic director and will help bring the genre back to life.

Amen brother. How could I have forgotten Rob Zombie!??!

I did thoroughly enjoy Dog Soldiers.

^^^if you like dog soldiers then you will be happy to know that the sequel will come out this october!!! the director of the original is not working on it though.

Yeah, House of 1000 corpses was cool, but The Devils Rejects was probably one of the best horror movies I've ever seen. I can't wait to see what Rob does next. He's doing wonders for the genre, as you said earlier.

Dog Soldiers was quite good as well, working with a pretty low budget... but handling it quite well. I hope the new director carries on with this legacy and does not mess it up too bad. It was quite an original Werewolf tale, I'd like to see it keep it's indivuality.

DarkArtist81 said:
Yeah, House of 1000 corpses was cool, but The Devils Rejects was probably one of the best horror movies I've ever seen. I can't wait to see what Rob does next. He's doing wonders for the genre, as you said earlier.

Dog Soldiers was quite good as well, working with a pretty low budget... but handling it quite well. I hope the new director carries on with this legacy and does not mess it up too bad. It was quite an original Werewolf tale, I'd like to see it keep it's indivuality.

I loved Devils Rejects...def. one of the best movies to come out in the last ten years or so...By no means was it scary,but it was very offensive..in a good way..When i walked out of the theater I felt a little dirty just for haveing seen this movie......Its been a long time since I had a movie generate that kind of responce from me...

I also really like Dog Soliders....one of the BEST screen werewolves ever!

SideshowDusty said:
I love horror - my favorite is probably Halloween. I also like all the Elm Streets and a movie called Warlock.
Warlock is a fave of mine as well.

My all time favorite is Psycho, Anthony Perkins' performance still gives me the creeps. A film and performance ahead of their time.

dog soldiers 2:fresh meat. is the name of the sequel, and its supposed to have twice the budget of the first movie. unfortunately, neil marshall didnt agree with the other people in charge of the script writing so he didnt sign on for it. ive read what his idea was and compared to what they are working with now and i will say that both ideas sound good, but neil's is way more original and not just another sequel.

kingdarkness03 said:
I loved Devils Rejects...def. one of the best movies to come out in the last ten years or so...By no means was it scary,but it was very offensive..in a good way..When i walked out of the theater I felt a little dirty just for haveing seen this movie......Its been a long time since I had a movie generate that kind of responce from me...

Interesting - I saw "The Hills Have Eyes" re-make recently, and while it was
brutal and gory, it didn't stick with me at all. I'd MUCH rather have a film such
as "The Ring" or even "The Sixth Sense" where the horror is psychological, and
really keeps you on the edge of your seat. Those are the types of films that
usually stick with me for the rest of my life. THHE above, was just a matter of
seeing how the next person would get killed, so not a lot of tension for me.

Regarding "High Tension" I rented it, and felt ripped off and betrayed by the
switcharoo at the ending. I've heard you must view it twice to appreciate it,
so I'm willing to give it a second shot should I find the time.

JS

The original sequel idea for Dog Soldiers II was to have Sean Pertwee's character (now a werewolf) battling zombies, wasn't it (then change the monster opponent for each Dog Soldiers sequel?).

What is the premise now?

To me it's tough to find that happy medium between brutal horror and well thought out suspense. The best movies IMO have a nice balance of both. A few movies that come to mind are The Shining, The Ring, Audition, Halloween, Alien etc. The Shining sets the standard in doing this for me.

Then there are the hard core, brutal gore movies. I love'em. High Tension, the TCM remake, Hostel, Dog Soldiers. Such as in High Tension, even if the story line doesnt completely work, i thought the movie served its title well.

I also like the campy horror movies, but only if I know its gonna be campy/fun. I hated FvJ the first time cause all the reviews I read initially called it the brutal movie fans have been waiting for. Then when I saw it I was SOOO disappointed. 6 months later I watched it again kowing what to expect and loved it.

Its funny cause my wife loves scary movies, but hates gorefest B-movies. She thought the orginal TCM was a crazy movie, but not scary at all. Yet The Exorcism of Emily Rose scared the crap outta her. Hostel/Saw movies fall somehwere in the middle to her.

Anyone ever seen Begotten? I've had more people say "I couldnt finish watching that movie, it creeped me out too much" more than any other movie I own. B&W, no dialogue, little sound at all and you cant really tell what the movies even about. Just disturbing imagery. Best movie ever to put on TV during a Halloween party. Everyone says "WTF is on your TV?"

If you like Dog Soldiers, you should really check out The Descent. (same director)

GREAT horror movie that made me jump more than once.

I liked it MUCH better than Dog Soldiers, which I thought was just ok...I personally think Silver Bullet is one of the best werewolf movies.

occulum said:
Anyone ever seen Begotten? I've had more people say "I couldnt finish watching that movie, it creeped me out too much" more than any other movie I own. B&W, no dialogue, little sound at all and you cant really tell what the movies even about. Just disturbing imagery. Best movie ever to put on TV during a Halloween party. Everyone says "WTF is on your TV?"

I got Begotten off of netflix a year or so ago....I can honestly say I have NEVER seen anything like it....It was not scary as much as it was,like you said,just freakin disturbing....the lack of dialogue and weird sh!it going on infront of you does more than any other movie I have ever seen...my wife watched to first few minutes and got up and left.....I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND this film to ANY horror fan.......

kingdarkness03 said:
...my wife watched to first few minutes and got up and left....
:lol yup, thats Begotten.
I let one of my coworkers borrow it. He and his wife are horror NUTS. She likes horror movies more than him. When I asked them how they liked it, he said his wife couldnt watch more than 10-15min too.
Then I let my other coworker borrow it, and he said his roomate (a girl too) watched it 3 times over the weekend trying to figure it out.
Reactions are all over the board. From "waste of my time" to "it blew my mind".
From what Ive read it's supposedly a creative/disturbing representation of mother nature giving birth to the earth. The director wanted the movie to seem as if it was shot in biblical times and uncovered today. i think he came close to achieving the effect.

EDIT: wow. I just noticed Begotten is selling for over $100 on ebay and some thru Amazon for $249

Last edited:
Back