HBO's Game of Thrones

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn, but when she got that slave army, she gave 'em an option to stay or leave. Granted that these people don't know any better, that doesn't sound evil to me.

Yea I added this : She gave that first army that she bought a choice even though it was obvious they didn't have much of a choice or know any other way of life so that was no gamble and subsequent cities have basically been told join us or we'll practice our murdering skills on your people.

That last part isn't very nice. :lol

A big part of Martin's fiction is how it reflects the ambiguity and complexity of actual human history.

The medieval world was populated by shades of grey. Most people are a mass of contradictions.
Few can be accurately labeled as outright "evil" or "good."

Such good guy/ bad guy dichotomies are the stuff of white hat westerns and juvenile fantasy.

The adult world is infintely more confusing, contradictory, and confounding.

Even Camelot was full of ambiguity, and it was just a myth, right?

:lol

____

I want Jon Snow to take the last name Stark and become the king.

Won't happen I know but that's who I'm pulling for.

A big part of Martin's fiction is how it reflects the ambiguity and complexity of actual human history.

The medieval world was populated by shades of grey. Most people are a mass of contradictions.
Few can be accurately labeled as outright "evil" or "good."

Such good guy/ bad guy dichotomies are the stuff of white hat westerns and juvenile fantasy.

The adult world is infintely more confusing, contradictory, and confounding.

Even Camelot was full of ambiguity, and it was just a myth, right?

:lol

____

Sorry I think you are in the wrong thread. You see this is the "Need more boobs and blood to keep it interesting" thread. You must have this board mistaken for someplace else. :lecture

Sorry I think you are in the wrong thread. You must have this board mistaken for someplace else.

Don't fret.

You'll grow up and possibly mature one day.

And this thread is in a toy forum.
No one is expecting a room full of intellects here.

:monkey3

___

This is not history and it's not the real world. It's a story being told to an audience. If you keep removing the characters that the audience cares about, they will eventually have no investment in your story.

You can't say "who cares" and change the channel on human history, but you sure can give up on a fictional fantasy TV series if they eventually kill off all the characters you love and give an unsatisfying end to all of the subplots you are invested in. Good storytelling manipulates the emotions of the audience up to the breaking point but then injects some relief or hope that holds their interest and keeps them hooked. I would understand if people quit watching the series after last night's bleak nastiness. I'm not going to quit, but I'm also not going to enjoy it or be as entertained for a while.

You could put on a drama that just shows women and children being abused with no hope in sight and applaud yourself for how realistic it is, but take it too far and nobody will want to watch it.

Also, they are totally gratuitous and pander to the audience when it comes to sex and nudity, but not character deaths.

What if they kill all the ladies with boobs? There are boobs in real life. Where would that leave the show, hmmm?

What if they kill all the ladies with boobs? There are boobs in real life. Where would that leave the show, hmmm?

Real boobs are an unrealistic commodity for a lot of us, poly stone however :panic:
But seriously
I have little investment in
Jon snow or
Daenery's storyline.

The lannisters vs the Starks is what drew me in, and would like to see the hounds story developed more maybe some redemption

This is not history and it's not the real world. It's a story being told to an audience. If you keep removing the characters that the audience cares about, they will eventually have no investment in your story.

You can't say "who cares" and change the channel on human history, but you sure can give up on a fictional fantasy TV series if they eventually kill off all the characters you love and give an unsatisfying end to all of the subplots you are invested in. Good storytelling manipulates the emotions of the audience up to the breaking point but then injects some relief or hope that holds their interest and keeps them hooked. I would understand if people quit watching the series after last night's bleak nastiness. I'm not going to quit, but I'm also not going to enjoy it or be as entertained for a while.

You could put on a drama that just shows women and children being abused with no hope in sight and applaud yourself for how realistic it is, but take it too far and nobody will want to watch it.

Also, they are totally gratuitous and pander to the audience when it comes to sex and nudity, but not character deaths.

This is too silly so I'll try my best, the sex and nudity isn't pandering, in life people spend alot of downtime having sex and quite usually are naked. Especially before computers and modern tech, you basically knocked out your day then got drunk and had sex. People you love die, people you hate live on with lots of money. IRL you can't change the channel yet here you are living on, haven't killed yourself yet.

I personally didn't care at all about Robb, and only a little about Cat. But the fact that the show makes people feel so sick about the loss of a character is by no means a bad thing.

Well said Tom. This is kind of where I'm at with this show and how Martin has written the books. I get the bad guys win some and that makes sense but they never lose at all. The worse thing is Jamie lost his hand. BFD as I'm concerned. I'll be honest the show doesn't make me want to read the books and I now have to assume Martin is an average fantasy writer at best.

And THAT reaction, tomandshell, is exactly what the storytellers want!

You're shocked and angry, but can't help but watch on. You're hooked.

The books are page turners and continue to be, but for me nothing has matched the Red Wedding in terms of shock and anger. I don't think that's a spoiler, as if course there is plenty more stuff to come in future series but it's worth noting that bad things don't just happen to the good guys, despite how angry you may be now.
I think it's fair to say that the writers were striving to get to this point in the books just for people to have the varied reactions they're showing in this very thread.

Back