Harry Potter Max Original Series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisstbh

Thrawnald McDonald
Reaction score

“The stories from each of Rowling’s Harry Potter books will become a decade-long series produced with the same epic craft, love and care this global franchise is known for. The series will feature a new cast to lead a new generation of fandom, full of the fantastic detail, much loved characters and dramatic locations that Harry Potter fans have loved for over 25 years. Each season will be authentic to the original books and bring Harry Potter and these incredible adventures to new audiences around the world, while the original, classic and beloved films will remain at the core of the franchise and available to watch globally.”

Hmmm. I'll start by saying I'll watch it.

I'm not sure it's really needed though. The originals still hold up IMO.

10 years is a hell of a long time to devote to a story most already know.

IMO time would be better spent telling new stories especially in a long form format like a TV series. I know Fantastic Beasts is a mixed bag, but I'm sure there are other stories that could be tapped that can expand the lore. I'm still playing through Hogwarts Legacy and so far its really good and interesting, so I know new stories are at least possible and can be successful.

I can't believe they are doing this.
Rebooting the Harry Potter films always felt like a meme...
Its not like they are outdated or sub-standard, there is genuinely no reason for this to be made.

I'm all for other stories in this universe - but simply remaking Harry Potter seems foolish.

I have as much interest in Harry Potter now as I did when I was 5 years old; none.

Still never seen them,

The more I think of it the more it seems like a bad idea.

There is so much they shouldn't change.

Locations like Hogworts, Diagon Alley, Hogsmede are ingrained in peoples minds. You can even go visit these places at Universal Studios.

The John Williams music. It would be a huge mistake to get rid of that.

The unique wands

The outfits

Rowling usually micromanages everything so hopefully that means not much will change.

I have as much interest in Harry Potter now as I did when I was 5 years old; none.

Still never seen them,
With the current state of a lot of the other IPs might be a good time to try out a new one.

No love for the franchise here and I won't be watching this, but it's going to be interesting seeing the reaction to it when it eventually comes around. A lot of people hold both the books and films in very high regard, so this will be under a lot of scrutiny from the get-go. Plus there's the whole situation around Rowling, which has definitely coloured how a decent chunk of people view the franchise as a result - who knows how that will have changed or progressed by the time this airs.

I was far too old to be interested in this stuff when the books and films started, so I have no interest in this. My kids might I suppose.

No. It's more like SW but with fantasy magic, not space magic. Plus it has a better continuity, and better written.
Meh, I've gone this long without having a sprinkle of interest in it so I don't see that changing.

I will say the books were better and it might be better if they could dedicate more screen time to each one. Ginny's character and the Harry-Ginny relationship were a big swing and a miss for me in the movies.

That being said, you know this will be full of race/sexuality swapping. I would bet my next paycheck they cast a black actress to play Hermione.

I also don't understand why we can't get a Batman series. I don't care much for Batman, but he's like the perfect superhero for a season long show where he's trying to solve a crime. They always ignore his detective side in the movies (Maybe not the last one? I never saw it).

Sigh it was inevitable. Didn’t even wait for us to hit 40 before rebooting it. Lord of the rings is next I guess.

Sigh it was inevitable. Didn’t even wait for us to hit 40 before rebooting it. Lord of the rings is next I guess.
It already is, haven't they already announced they were doing a new LOTR trilogy, considering WB have the license to both LOTR and Harry Potter I assume they are going to do the same thing with that trilogy and tell the exact same stories all over again.

Hollywood is dead.

As for waiting for us to be 40 - I was the target demographic for these books/films growing up, and I'm not even 30.... waiting till I was 40 would seem like a courtesy in comparison to this.

It already is, haven't they already announced they were doing a new LOTR trilogy, considering WB have the license to both LOTR and Harry Potter I assume they are going to do the same thing with that trilogy and tell the exact same stories all over again.

Hollywood is dead.

As for waiting for us to be 40 - I was the target demographic for these books/films growing up, and I'm not even 30.... waiting till I was 40 would seem like a courtesy in comparison to this.
I was the target aswell. Grew up with them. I thought it would be stupid to reboot them. Is nothing timeless anymore? I mean sure they weren’t all to accurate to the books but they were still great movies . Damn it’s like you need to be a long lasting ip in order to even be made in Hollywood. Nothing is original anymore. It’s annoying

I wish they could do something with this franchise without Rowling involved with it.

There was plenty of cut material from the books that didn't make it into the movies. Things they could flesh out better. Seeds they could plant better.

With the books finished, this should be better than the movies if they care to do it right.

Still never seen them,

Meh, I've gone this long without having a sprinkle of interest in it so I don't see that changing.

Why make this thread then? :dunno

To me it's a bit like remaking OT Star Wars (ummm... hopefully Disney isn't listening...) and I'm shocked fans aren't aggressively protesting it.

They are starting to, depends on where you look

I can't believe they are doing this.

Depend on what they do with it.

If they focus more on the adults, that could be interesting. For example, young Snape and Lily and James Potter, if they go much deeper into that. That could be phenomenal. Or Hermoine and her "Mudblood" backstory. Draco and his father's relationship with more complex exploration. Hugh Grant was the original choice to play Lockhart. But if they could get him now, to do that but with a long look at the pathology of his failures and narcissism, that could be gold. There's also a lot of conflict and heft with Harry's Aunt and Uncle, that entire situation.

IMHO, there's real narrative juice here, but it only happens the further they get away from Harry himself.

Making this show would be the best life insurance policy that JK Rowling could have for the next decade. She's been getting non stop serious death threats for a long time now. The studio will look at the potential merchandising money angle and then just hire a private army to surround her at all times. Nothing would fracture the entire Potter universe and fanbase than Rowling getting gunned down in some parking lot somewhere. It will look like a cut scene from a Call Of Duty video game, Rowling in some grocery store surrounded by 15 PMCs.

This could be a pretty good show. If it's done right. Honestly, the further they take it away from an American production and American cast, the odds of it being viable becomes better.

Back