Grim future for Star Wars 1/6th?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In regards to Star Wars it may just be a select group of main characters fans will be buying, this seems to be the policy Hot Toys are adapting at the moment with their ANH characters.

Could be, I think third tier characters are not gunna happen now (aliens, bounty hunters etc..), the offering will definitely tighten up, but SS is gunna need to load some accessories if they want to continue, Luke is simply unacceptable

Why Star Wars? Marvel superheroes, Jack Sparrow, and other Disney characters haven't been outrageously priced. Why is Winter Soldier no more than than X-Wing Luke?

I'm thinking Sideshow started their Cult Classics line with 1:6 Snake Pliskin and Beetlejuice in order to make up for the losses they foresee coming in the SW line.
Yep, this was my thought, as well, Lu. No doubt the crazy prices customizers are able to command for some of these properties helped, too.

Why Star Wars? Marvel superheroes, Jack Sparrow, and other Disney characters haven't been outrageously priced. Why is Winter Soldier no more than than X-Wing Luke?

new movie around the corner, arguably the most successful franchise ever, Marvel is up there now too I suppose, it is still crazy and im definitely out at that price range and unproven product. HT's is established and has their business focus around 1/6, plus their customer base for 1/6 is way higher than SS's

It could also be trickle down effect, Hasbro is paying Dis 250 mil to be in on the new movies, they're likely charging their subs more to help compensate.

Marvel is up there now too I suppose, it is still crazy and im definitely out at that price range and unproven product.

Now that I think about it I wonder if Disney upped the licensing fees for Marvel movies as well. Star-Lord and Rocket PF's were teased and then unceremoniously cancelled, Sideshow Igo stated on statueforum.com that the previously announced Winter Soldier PF is now up in the air and that they probably won't make any more movie Cap PF's (Age of Ultron, etc.) for the forseeable future. I wonder if Disney is just squeezing too much out of their movie properties.

Now that I think about it I wonder if Disney upped the licensing fees for Marvel movies as well. Star-Lord and Rocket PF's were teased and then unceremoniously cancelled, Sideshow Igo stated on statueforum.com that the previously announced Winter Soldier PF is now up in the air and that they probably won't make any more movie Cap PF's (Age of Ultron, etc.) for the forseeable future. I wonder if Disney is just squeezing too much out of their movie properties.

Disney is definitely a giant, but I don't think they are unfair. It's a decade or more so since the PT and Disney is actually charging about 1/2 what George charged Hasbro back in 97, and there's a ton of toy inflation since that point, which makes Dis look even more fair imo.

Simply..it's the most expensive license we have at this point now and the effects of Disney taking over are now in full effect going forward.

-SideshowAlex

Ok, so this is the quote that set it off. I would imagine the SW license was the most expensive one they have always had but who knows for sure. All I know is there is no way in hell I am paying $250 for most 12" figures. I have Chewy on order and I will get 3PO unless he costs something outrageous but that's probably going to be about it. I have the Mythos line and those will satisfy my needs for a 12" Vader, Fett or Obi... this is just getting too far out of control.

Prices will rise and most collectors will happily carry on paying the prices for Star Wars and other 1/6th figures figures. This isn't a hobby that will die out because of increasing costs, if anything in relation to the Star Wars license it will probably thrive. The relevant companies just have to make it worth while for the collectors by producing the best quality product possible.

Couldn't agree less. I'm a die hard and I know from others in the various forums that people are reaching the glass ceiling. If I was collecting maybe 3-5 figures in my collection I would be Willing to pay more but to be building a larger collection? No. 240$ for a basic figure ain't happening I'm glad that there's little left I want but I'll be sad if it does kill the line

Remember gijoe ?

SSC would not have been effected by the Disney sale. First SSC has no direct license with Disney for SW (nor does HT) Hasbro has the license for any action figures (until 2020)

Agree. It don't get why we are now seeing "the full effects of Disney". The licence for Hasbro is until 2020, how can Disney affect that contract?

You can always renegotiate. When Disney puts $4B in, and more to make the movies, you bet they are going to renegotiate with Hasbro and everybody else with a Star Wars contract. What's Hasbro gonna say? Screw you Disney? Disney has every theatrical license that Hasbro wants. And part of that agreement may be when the actual cost increase kicks in.

I really don't understand guys that cling to the "2020 contract" as if its set in stone.

I understand what Sideshow Alex stated but I'm just not buying it. I really think SSCs has watched HTs and Tamashi charge these prices and more...AND GET IT IN SPADES!

Now are they paying more? Probably. But does it justify this price hike? That's where they lose me. I just don't buy that. Seems more logical to me that SSCs is making a business decision by increasing prices based on what the evidence proves the market will bear. Problem they have, if my theory is correct, is the market doesn't believe they produce product, imo, that justifies them charging HTs or Tamashii prices. Sure, they have been improving their production product ie Snowtrooper, Tuskin Raider and their recent Batman release. But overall, they don't have a proven track record of successes to demand such a high price with so few accessories...at least not for this license.

Funny thing is, their Deadpool is priced similarly but the anger over the pricing hardly seemed noticeable. Could that be because it came with more accessories or because the Marvel comic 1/6th market has been so starved of product, we'll pay whatever price for whatever we can get?

People should be happy. Helps curtail their spending in an obsessive hobby. We need all the help we can get.

Personally, I'm becoming more and more satisfied with cutting back my collection to just key figures and not multiples. It's hard -- especially the fact that I will likely pass on Hoth figures as well as this X-wing pilot -- but my shelves will be better off for it in the long run. So will my wallet.

The figure will sell if SSCs can get it out the factory looking impressive in hand. The reviews will be what this figure lives or dies on...the Hoth figures will have an impact too. If they look as good as the prototypes, folks will take note.

People should be happy. Helps curtail their spending in an obsessive hobby. We need all the help we can get.

Personally, I'm becoming more and more satisfied with cutting back my collection to just key figures and not multiples. It's hard -- especially the fact that I will likely pass on Hoth figures as well as this X-wing pilot -- but my shelves will be better off for it in the long run. So will my wallet.

:goodpost:

I understand what Sideshow Alex stated but I'm just not buying it.

That's why Sideshow is damned if they do and damned if they don't. They stop and give up info as to why things are the way they are yet people still want to believe what they want. :lol

That's why Sideshow is damned if they do and damned if they don't. They stop and give up info as to why things are the way they are yet people still want to believe what they want. :lol

Wrong. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't because their production product has too many times come up WAYYYYY short of their prototypes.

If you read my comment, I said they are probably/likely paying more for the license. What I don't buy is it pushing the price this much. What makes more logical sense is they are matching their prices to what the market is paying.

In other words...its a little of both...cost and market tolerance.

I don't think the future is grim just for this license. It's getting grim for the 1/6 market in general. Prices are going up and up constantly all across the board, for no matter what company, irregardless of quality. This is becoming a hobby for the super rich (or the fiscally foolish). There are things in life far more important than overpriced toys, and it's becoming clear I wont be doing this much longer.

Back