Grim future for Star Wars 1/6th?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's terrible news. I too am curious if there is a price increase coming for HT as well, or if they've already been pricing their figures according to the new Disney contract. I also wonder if the new contract will affect Sideshow's new TOD Indy. I suppose it should, so I should be prepared for a big price tag on him.

Sadly, I really can't afford $250+ figures on a regular basis. I was already down to ~2-5 per year for the past several years. I may only be able to justify one or two a year now, and that would be if the figure is an absolute must have. No more secondary or background characters for me.

The only bright spot for myself is that most of the characters I really wanted have already been made or announced. Chewie and R2 were the biggest holes in my collection and they are as good as done. The one main figure I've been wanting and will absolutely get is Bespin Han, so hopefully I have that to look forward to from HT as possibly my last 1:6 figure! :monkey2 I would have wanted a great ESB Leia, but it would greatly depend on price and when she'd be scheduled to ship.

Edit:
yeah except they have a solid factory, and all their workers in house, I dont know what cost of living is like over there, and they dont have to pay to ship the stuff, SS does. So i think maybe we'll see HT's being the cheaper of the two (or more value packed), damn shame

Good points, LipSmack.

SSC would not have been effected by the Disney sale. First SSC has no direct license with Disney for SW (nor does HT) Hasbro has the license for any action figures (until 2020) and SSC has always leased that from Hasbro. HT finally got the Asian lease (Medicom formally had it) and likely had to outbid competitors resulting in a more expensive license. Also if Disney was a reason then why are all the 1/6 in last couple years not on par with the price of X Wing luke and why is Chewy so cheap?

Now back to the regular scheduled sky is falling discussion.

Except....we have the Sideshow communications rep saying exactly the opposite and knows a lot more about thier licencing relationship the you or i do...

It may not be the end of the world....but if pricing continues to out pace individual valuation and ability to afford....sales will drop. Its just basic business mechanics....

It may take a year....it may take three years....but the writing is on the wall and the journey to that conclusion has just been accelerated.

SSC would not have been effected by the Disney sale. First SSC has no direct license with Disney for SW (nor does HT) Hasbro has the license for any action figures (until 2020) and SSC has always leased that from Hasbro. HT finally got the Asian lease (Medicom formally had it) and likely had to outbid competitors resulting in a more expensive license. Also if Disney was a reason then why are all the 1/6 in last couple years not on par with the price of X Wing luke and why is Chewy so cheap?

Now back to the regular scheduled sky is falling discussion.

I think thats wrong... they all have their own licenses now

yeah except they have a solid factory, and all their workers in house, I dont know what cost of living is like over there, and they dont have to pay to ship the stuff, SS does. So i think maybe we'll see HT's being the cheaper of the two (or more value packed), damn shame
This kind of thing is a big part of why I think HT seems more efficient. Don't know for sure, but I suspect being based in Asia, having more Asian employees who can better network and create relationships with suppliers, factories, etc. plays a role. HT has also focused most strongly on their 1/6 output, unlike SSC that has to balance that with various statues of different scales, and has distribution duties on top of all that (while HT contracts with others for that business). So it stands to reason that HT would have their 1/6 production process more refined and cost effective.

And I would see no reason not to take the SSC reps at their word regarding the costs of the Disney license.

HT may have a collectibles license with Disney, much in the same way George circumvented Galoob and Hasbro in the 90s and gave a direct contract to Lego, I'd say its pretty easy to say that Hot Toys are "collectibles" and fall out of the "toy" market, but, I haven't seen the contract, so if you got links, post em up.
Nope, one there is way to much president for Hasbro to use to win. 1/6 has ALWAYS been considered action figures and the contract does stipulate it more then just a term, not to mention if HT were to try to circumvent that and go direct they would likely violate and lose there distribution deal they have to distribute Hasbro.

This kind of thing is a big part of why I think HT seems more efficient. Don't know for sure, but I suspect being based in Asia, having more Asian employees who can better network and create relationships with suppliers, factories, etc. plays a role. HT has also focused most strongly on their 1/6 output, unlike SSC that has to balance that with various statues of different scales, and has distribution duties on top of all that (while HT contracts with others for that business). So it stands to reason that HT would have their 1/6 production process more refined and cost effective.

And I would see no reason not to take the SSC reps at their word regarding the costs of the Disney license.

:exactly:

Nope, one there is way to much president for Hasbro to use to win. 1/6 has ALWAYS been considered action figures and the contract does stipulate it more then just a term, not to mention if HT were to try to circumvent that and go direct they would likely violate and lose there distribution deal they have to distribute Hasbro.

Please do post the licencing contract that you have clearly seen and are clearly more of an expert on this matter then actual employees are. Im rivited.

Please do post the licencing contract that you have clearly seen and are clearly more of an expert on this matter then actual employees are. Im rivited.

:lol

I remember back when they took over there were news of all kinds of renegotiations ... I think he is just mis informed

With the new trilogy and spin off films, sales numbers might not fall. Interest in Star Wars will no doubt grow in the coming months/years and it may help SSC stay in business despite the price increase. Sales will just not grow accordingly to interest in the licence but rather stabilize at current numbers.

With the new trilogy and spin off films, sales numbers might not fall. Interest in Star Wars will no doubt grow in the coming months/years and it may help SSC stay in business despite the price increase. Sales will just not grow accordingly to interest in the licence but rather stabilize at current numbers.

I dunno if id go that far... I mean a lot of veteran collectors are scaling back. I cant see new comers being ecstatic that these are so expensive.. theyd need to be reasonably affordable to expand their market, I think at best it will plateau and then start to decline

I've been saying this for years..ever since the pricing went ridiculous. A year ago the excuse was the rising cost of plastic..though Disney seemed to be able to put out plastic star wars figures for $35.00 a piece..and looked decent, minus much articulation..so its not that..now its the license. Sounds like smokescreen to me.. Hot toys was charging $160 per figure and were selling out.. Sideshow notices.. quickly ups their prices with every release to match..and here we are.

Yeah, post the link to this. Think I'll go with what the actual Sideshow employees are saying until you post something to back up your crap.

Prices will rise and most collectors will happily carry on paying the prices for Star Wars and other 1/6th figures figures. This isn't a hobby that will die out because of increasing costs, if anything in relation to the Star Wars license it will probably thrive. The relevant companies just have to make it worth while for the collectors by producing the best quality product possible.

Prices will rise and most collectors will happily carry on paying the prices for Star Wars and other 1/6th figures figures. This isn't a hobby that will die out because of increasing costs, if anything in relation to the Star Wars license it will probably thrive. The relevant companies just have to make it worth while for the collectors by producing the best quality product possible.

they hobby may not, but individual licenses will (starwars) im curious to see what we'll have in 2 years for offerings

Its a grim future for the SSC SW line, for sure. Not many people are gonna drop $240 + for figures - if no one orders, they stop making them. If I were SSC, I'd focus on PF and their crappy Legendary line

I'm thinking Sideshow started their Cult Classics line with 1:6 Snake Pliskin and Beetlejuice in order to make up for the losses they foresee coming in the SW line.

Its a grim future for the SSC SW line, for sure. Not many people are gonna drop $240 + for figures - if no one orders, they stop making them. If I were SSC, I'd focus on PF and their crappy Legendary line

Yeah, but I would think all the lines will see a rise in price, not just the 1:6 line. It's the whole license fee that has gone up, isn't it?

they hobby may not, but individual licenses will (starwars) im curious to see what we'll have in 2 years for offerings

In regards to Star Wars it may just be a select group of main characters fans will be buying, this seems to be the policy Hot Toys are adapting at the moment with their ANH characters.

Back