Grim future for Star Wars 1/6th?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The vocal posters of this forum aren't the majority of 1/6 buyers nor the majority of worldwide Star Wars fans. I have a feeling that we will probably be seeing creeping up prices from both companies but it won't hurt the market and they'll always be enough people to pay the price eventually.

It used to be that people would see a product on the shelf for the first time and be able to buy it. It wouldn't be sold out months before it shipped. If high prices keep figures available for awhile it could keep desirable items available for longer and thus bring new (albeit wealthier) members to the hobby.

They might not be the majority but can tell you that collectors as a whole won't pay these prices. I know someone who has a store and sells SSC stuff and he has said all his buyers are slowing down, him included. SW is like gi Joe, won't matter how many new movies they pump out, the line will not pick up steam with new collectors and certainly not wealthier ones.

Ugh.
This used to be fun... talking about these figures... right?
Agreed, jedi. It is a shame we can't all be focused on these neat collectibles, as opposed to talk of being priced out, end of the line, etc. Totally get where you're coming from on this (though I guess I'm one of the downers... :p).

The vocal posters of this forum aren't the majority of 1/6 buyers nor the majority of worldwide Star Wars fans. I have a feeling that we will probably be seeing creeping up prices from both companies but it won't hurt the market and they'll always be enough people to pay the price eventually.

It used to be that people would see a product on the shelf for the first time and be able to buy it. It wouldn't be sold out months before it shipped. If high prices keep figures available for awhile it could keep desirable items available for longer and thus bring new (albeit wealthier) members to the hobby.
Couldn't disagree with you more. From what I can see, you're being wildly optimistic if you think that for every hardcore collector that's been with this line since day one (and now leaving), there's a new, wealthier, collector standing by to take their place. (Why wouldn't these guys be collecting, already?) I think it's crazy, really, if SSC is pricing out their steady customers. That just doesn't seem rational to me, at all. Will be very interesting to see the state of the hobby in two years.

And in regards to stuff sticking around longer b/c of the higher price points, Spooktacular has already shown us what happens. It gets heavily discounted. To the point SSC isn't making a dime or maybe even losing money.

Last edited:
Ugh.
This used to be fun... talking about these figures... right?

While there have always been people who got off on making talking about these figures no fun at all, it does sound like the prophets of doom are finally getting their day to shine. I don't care. I intend to enjoy it to my last dime.

A petition thread is the only language they'll understand :lecture

If there's a bright center to the universe, this post is it.

I have been a OT and PT completist. Sadly and most unreluctantly the new price point might just change that.

Here's a thought; Is it possible that we are looking at a likeness right increase? With Hamill and the rest re-entering the SW universe, perhaps this gave rise to a whole new modern contract and conditions for licensing and using their likenesses ala the Hugh Jackmann Wolverine. The price on that still seems staggering as this one does, but maybe Alex meant that something like this was the "Disney" effect, not necessarily some huge corporate money grab, but that we can no longer bath in the inadequate 1970s licensing structures. New movies, same actors = new deal?.
Food for thought.

Here's a thought; Is it possible that we are looking at a likeness right increase? With Hamill and the rest re-entering the SW universe, perhaps this gave rise to a whole new modern contract and conditions for licensing and using their likenesses ala the Hugh Jackmann Wolverine. The price on that still seems staggering as this one does, but maybe Alex meant that something like this was the "Disney" effect, not necessarily some huge corporate money grab, but that we can no longer bath in the inadequate 1970s licensing structures. New movies, same actors = new deal?.
Food for thought.

Still doesn't change the fact that there's not enough in the box to make it worth $240.

Well, if this is any indication, it's on par or better at this point insofar as what's in the box
https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/marvel-wolverine-hot-toys-902281/
What's in the Box?

The Wolverine Sixth Scale Figure features:

Authentic and detailed fully realized likeness of Hugh Jackman as Wolverine in X-Men: Days of Future Past
Head sculpt with realistic hair sculpture, facial expression, detailed wrinkles, beard gesture, and skin textures
Approximately 30 cm tall
Muscular body with over 30 points of articulation
Three (3) pairs of interchangeable palms including:
- One (1) pair of fists with metal claws
- One (1) pair of fists
- One (1) pair of relaxed palms
Each head sculpt is specially hand painted
Costume:

One (1) specially-tailored future Wolverine battle suit with armor parts
One (1) pair of knee armor
One (1) pair of black armored boots
Accessory:

Figure stand with Wolverine nameplate and the movie logo

It should just be edited to say "less than Luke":lol:wave

Last edited:
WTF, lol.
Isn't what Alex said a simple blanket statement just to be polite and calm us down as we're pulling our own nose hairs out over what the reason needs to be?

lol 87 posts...
I read the topic and had a thought. Read where it came from and had a different thought, and realised you've prolly gone full circle twice and have something else to say about the last few replies. So I'll say nothing else yet and read through this spam before I say my own.

Sorry, distracted. Started watching Walking Dead...
What are those ThreeZero ones like?

The odd person may buy the odd figure say Marty McFly or batman dx09 batman as a stand alone but wider franchises with secondary characters?
Can't see it. Would you pay these new prices for say generic imperial officer? Or a second string x wing pilot?
No. So these won't be offered and there's a finite number of times that Vader can be remade DSL at that price point.

If disney are riding the price point- they are frankly idiots and I fear for the franchise in all forms. I am already worried about the films after the eu *** ****

Last edited by a moderator:

I would say that the posters on this forum are a better indication of the sustainability of these prices than what you seem to be suggesting. They are from all over the world, and are the "die-hards" of 1/6 SW collecting; the ones who are MOST likely to fork over those big $$ at this point. There is a fanatism that goes along with paying that kind of money. SSC Luke X-Wing's target audience is die-hards because it's a second-tier outfit - it's part of what makes the price so surprising.

This is a watershed moment. Most of the point of this thread is that secondary characters - i.e. most of what SSC has done SW-wise - will simply be unproducable going forward. No more Hammerheads, Prajis, Rebel Commandos, Gamorrean Guards, even new trooper variants - because even diehards won't pay $240+ for them. "Militaries of Star Wars" "Scum and Villiany" - all done, all gone. Replaced by a new focus that is a small number of core characters people will pay $$$ for.

Where does this go once those core characters are exhausted? Once people have their "ultimate" heroes and villians (and yes, they'll be stunningly well done.) Then what? That's the "grim" part of this thread. I just don't see some "new albeit wealthier" collectors swarming in to pay (by then) $300-350 for a Walrusman or ATAT driver in 3 years time.

This has quickly devolved from the back of a Kenner POTF card - "collect all 92" - to the back of a Kenner 12 back. And what has done it is price.

Well, if this is any indication, it's on par or better at this point insofar as what's in the box
https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/marvel-wolverine-hot-toys-902281/
More appropriate to say it's better in terms of the number of accessories/parts in the box. However, with Hot Toys you get a superior body, superior paint apps, and superior clothing. So, factoring in quality, Wolvie is still a much better bargain IMO, unless SSC somehow makes a quantum leap in quality from previous releases to this one.

It's funny that people were speculating/joking that SSC was pumping out so many classic Star Wars figures over the last year or so because they knew Hot Toys was getting the license, and wanted to capitalize on what they could before HT came out with superior products making the SSC ones antiquated. But now I think the truth is that they wanted to get out as much as they could before the new license was signed, because they knew this was going to dramatically affect sales when a bare bones Star Wars figure goes for $240.

All I can say is every thing comes to an end.

If I had lots more disposable income, I'd be awash with hundreds of figures that I didn't really want all that much, impulse buys and such... flavour of the month stuff.
As it is now, I look at a lot of my collection and I'm not sure I really want to keep that many figures. So these price hikes only make me think a lot more about what I really want, and buy accordingly.

I would say that the posters on this forum are a better indication of the sustainability of these prices than what you seem to be suggesting. They are from all over the world, and are the "die-hards" of 1/6 SW collecting; the ones who are MOST likely to fork over those big $$ at this point. There is a fanatism that goes along with paying that kind of money. SSC Luke X-Wing's target audience is die-hards because it's a second-tier outfit - it's part of what makes the price so surprising.

This is a watershed moment. Most of the point of this thread is that secondary characters - i.e. most of what SSC has done SW-wise - will simply be unproducable going forward. No more Hammerheads, Prajis, Rebel Commandos, Gamorrean Guards, even new trooper variants - because even diehards won't pay $240+ for them. "Militaries of Star Wars" "Scum and Villiany" - all done, all gone. Replaced by a new focus that is a small number of core characters people will pay $$$ for.

Where does this go once those core characters are exhausted? Once people have their "ultimate" heroes and villians (and yes, they'll be stunningly well done.) Then what? That's the "grim" part of this thread. I just don't see some "new albeit wealthier" collectors swarming in to pay (by then) $300-350 for a Walrusman or ATAT driver in 3 years time.

This has quickly devolved from the back of a Kenner POTF card - "collect all 92" - to the back of a Kenner 12 back. And what has done it is price.

:goodpost: You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to TaliBane again.

More appropriate to say it's better in terms of the number of accessories/parts in the box. However, with Hot Toys you get a superior body, superior paint apps, and superior clothing. So, factoring in quality, Wolvie is still a much better bargain IMO, unless SSC somehow makes a quantum leap in quality from previous releases to this one.

It's funny that people were speculating/joking that SSC was pumping out so many classic Star Wars figures over the last year or so because they knew Hot Toys was getting the license, and wanted to capitalize on what they could before HT came out with superior products making the SSC ones antiquated. But now I think the truth is that they wanted to get out as much as they could before the new license was signed, because they knew this was going to dramatically affect sales when a bare bones Star Wars figure goes for $240.

:goodpost: I agree!

Well, all's I'm saying is consider the possibility that this price is reflective of newly formed royalties and may only affect the core characters. Speculative, yes, but every word in this thread is that! Silver lining and all....

It's certainly a watershed moment for me. I'm looking at my Star Wars shelf, which doesn't have all my figures displayed as I don't have enough room, and all I can honestly say I need to have right now are R2, 3PO and Chewie which re all coming. I have Hoth Luke and Han on order, but once 3PO is posted I'm done. whether Hot Toys or SS. Prices have gotten out of hand. If they were more reasonable, and I'm not saying I expect $60 figures anymore, but a Figure like X-Wing Luke should not be more than $159-$179 with what he's packed with. I simply can't justify the prices anymore. It was fun while it lasted.

Too expensive for a SSC product. I would rather spend more on HT for the superior product, then pay more for mediocrity from SSC anymore. I have been picking and choosing my figures now for awhile. Long gone have been the completest days.

It will be a very interesting year to see where Star Wars goes.

Obviously, The Force Awakens will be relentless in its offerings, but only because its new and no one will be certain who the next Boba Fett will be.

But as Magler said above, the completest days are over for most... for some this has gone on for a long time. I myself ended my completest run at the ENDOR REBELS. And since those days, I wonder how many other Rebels and 4th tier characters have not been made because the dollars were not there to support?

Now we enter the next level -- how many 3rd tier characters -- Greedos and Tusken Raiders -- will not be made because of $200+ price tag? Even 2nd tier characters, like a new Lando or Admiral Ackbar, might be hard to come by in the new age. May just be core characters, over and over again, with slight variants and fixes.

We're headed into Ledger Joker territory.

Back