Grim future for Star Wars 1/6th?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wrong. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't because their production product has too many times come up WAYYYYY short of their prototypes.

If you read my comment, I said they are probably/likely paying more for the license. What I don't buy is it pushing the price this much. What makes more logical sense is they are matching their prices to what the market is paying.

In other words...its a little of both...cost and market tolerance.
If it's market tolerance, why is there such a backlash? Between here and RS, there are maybe 4 or 5 collectors that've said they will buy at full price. Everyone else has said hell no, so I dunno, seems they badly miscalculated, in that case.

Personally I think kara's got the most sensible explanation. Mix of the license fee going up dramatically and inefficiencies in Sideshow's model in comparison to HT's.

Wrong. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't because their production product has too many times come up WAYYYYY short of their prototypes.

If you read my comment, I said they are probably/likely paying more for the license. What I don't buy is it pushing the price this much. What makes more logical sense is they are matching their prices to what the market is paying.

In other words...its a little of both...cost and market tolerance.

I read your comment and I stand by what I said. They've got to make a certain level of profit per figure to make the books work. The economics of it aren't a difficult thing to grasp, imo. Oh well....

I read your comment and I stand by what I said. They've got to make a certain level of profit per figure to make the books work. The economics of it aren't a difficult thing to grasp, imo. Oh well....

Well, that's a little more than obvious...or else they should just close the doors and go home.

The question is does their product warrant the price hike. Most are saying resoundingly "NO!" The next question is why the large price hike? AGAIN...IMO, they are likely covering added cost from the Disney deal AND pricing their product according to what other comparable companies are charging...and getting.

I wish I could be as believing in everything they say as you, but I'm not an insider and I don't think the whole story is being told.

Last edited:
If it's market tolerance, why is there such a backlash? Between here and RS, there are maybe 4 or 5 collectors that've said they will buy at full price. Everyone else has said hell no, so I dunno, seems they badly miscalculated, in that case.

Personally I think kara's got the most sensible explanation. Mix of the license fee going up dramatically and inefficiencies in Sideshow's model in comparison to HT's.

I agree, it's a possible explanation.

Real question remains what part of the market this board and RS actually represent? As vocal as we are, we might still be in the minority.

Real question remains what part of the market this board and RS actually represent? As vocal as we are, we might still be in the minority.

its hard to gauge, guess we'll know more next year. It is refreshing to see people finally draw the line on here though, just a shame its at such a high price point

I really doubt that. People that commit their time to message boards I would think would be in the 'ardent supporter' camp, and more likely to make sacrifices to keep up with the hobby, IMO. Also, it's a mixed group of people saying no, economically. Many can afford to continue buying, even at these prices, but are refusing. I don't think it bodes well.

Last edited:
I understand what Sideshow Alex stated but I'm just not buying it. I really think SSCs has watched HTs and Tamashi charge these prices and more...AND GET IT IN SPADES!

Now are they paying more? Probably. But does it justify this price hike? That's where they lose me. I just don't buy that. Seems more logical to me that SSCs is making a business decision by increasing prices based on what the evidence proves the market will bear. Problem they have, if my theory is correct, is the market doesn't believe they produce product, imo, that justifies them charging HTs or Tamashii prices. Sure, they have been improving their production product ie Snowtrooper, Tuskin Raider and their recent Batman release. But overall, they don't have a proven track record of successes to demand such a high price with so few accessories...at least not for this license.

Funny thing is, their Deadpool is priced similarly but the anger over the pricing hardly seemed noticeable. Could that be because it came with more accessories or because the Marvel comic 1/6th market has been so starved of product, we'll pay whatever price for whatever we can get?

Deadpool comes with like a MILLION accessories compared to X-Wing Luke, though, plus a flying zombie head. Deadpool is clearly a much better buy than X-Wing Luke. If Luke came with the plethora of accessories Deadpool does, I doubt people would complain so much.

I really doubt that. People that commit their time to message boards I would think would be in the 'ardent supporter' camp, and more likely to make sacrifices to keep up with the hobby, IMO. Also, it's a mixed group of people saying no, economically. Many can afford to continue buying, even at these prices, but are refusing. I don't think it bodes well.

Too true. No matter what the reason for the price hike, if too many people opt out, these may not sell enough for SSCs to continue devoting resources toward it. Although it's doubtful with the new movies coming out...the hype will build with a fever pitch in the coming years and price might just be a forgotten casualty as collectors gobble up all things Star Wars.

Only time will tell.

yeah we think 240.00 is a lot know. what if the x-wing luke sells out just suppose he did then the secondary market will rise on him and looking back if we all wanted him 240.00 doen`t look so much after all

People should be happy. Helps curtail their spending in an obsessive hobby. We need all the help we can get.

Personally, I'm becoming more and more satisfied with cutting back my collection to just key figures and not multiples. It's hard -- especially the fact that I will likely pass on Hoth figures as well as this X-wing pilot -- but my shelves will be better off for it in the long run. So will my wallet.

Well said.

I already decided last year that I want good 1/6 versions of all the heroes of the first Star Wars and Vader/Stormtroopers. Many of these are coming and will probably be my last figures. I also have Lando. Just because :lol

Lando13.jpg

I understand what Sideshow Alex stated but I'm just not buying it. I really think SSCs has watched HTs and Tamashi charge these prices and more...AND GET IT IN SPADES!

More likely, Disney saw the prices Hot Toys was getting and expects all of their licensees to perform accordingly.

People should be happy. Helps curtail their spending in an obsessive hobby. We need all the help we can get.

Personally, I'm becoming more and more satisfied with cutting back my collection to just key figures and not multiples. It's hard -- especially the fact that I will likely pass on Hoth figures as well as this X-wing pilot -- but my shelves will be better off for it in the long run. So will my wallet.

Bingo. I said something similar in one of the SW threads. There's 5 more SW figures I want. One is coming in December, and two in March or April. Im literally looking forward to getting out of the HT and SSC insanity. I cant wait.

I agree with Wor-Gar too, and my SW wish list is relatively small. I would just want the ANH core cast. But what I think OP might also be getting at is, with collectors curtailing their spending, what impact will this have on the line overall for those who want an expansive suite of characters... ie, gone are the days of secondary characters. I do feel for all those poor, miserable saps wanting Walrus Man.

Now are they paying more? Probably. But does it justify this price hike? That's where they lose me. I just don't buy that. Seems more logical to me that SSCs is making a business decision by increasing prices based on what the evidence proves the market will bear. Problem they have, if my theory is correct, is the market doesn't believe they produce product, imo, that justifies them charging HTs or Tamashii prices. Sure, they have been improving their production product ie Snowtrooper, Tuskin Raider and their recent Batman release. But overall, they don't have a proven track record of successes to demand such a high price with so few accessories...at least not for this license.

Funny thing is, their Deadpool is priced similarly but the anger over the pricing hardly seemed noticeable. Could that be because it came with more accessories or because the Marvel comic 1/6th market has been so starved of product, we'll pay whatever price for whatever we can get?

My thoughts exactly.

I agree with Wor-Gar too, and my SW wish list is relatively small. I would just want the ANH core cast. But what I think OP might also be getting at is, with collectors curtailing their spending, what impact will this have on the line overall for those who want an expansive suite of characters... ie, gone are the days of secondary characters. I do feel for all those poor, miserable saps wanting Walrus Man.

Grease? Grease?! NOT back on the cool kids list.:lol

:moon

Greetings from the Walrus Man petitioners.

The vocal posters of this forum aren't the majority of 1/6 buyers nor the majority of worldwide Star Wars fans. I have a feeling that we will probably be seeing creeping up prices from both companies but it won't hurt the market and they'll always be enough people to pay the price eventually.

It used to be that people would see a product on the shelf for the first time and be able to buy it. It wouldn't be sold out months before it shipped. If high prices keep figures available for awhile it could keep desirable items available for longer and thus bring new (albeit wealthier) members to the hobby.

Back