Graphics are Overrated!!!!! Come on and say it with me!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which do you think is more important???

• Gameplay first, graphics second

Votes: 67 82.7%
  • Graphics first, gameplay second

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • I don't care because I'm still playing my NES.

Votes: 6 7.4%

• Total voters
I cut my teeth on those InfoCom games that had NO graphics. It's gotta have game play.

Yes, graphics do help in drawing a player in, but think of it this way (for guys, at least, and don't say it isn't true)... We all want to get with the stupid but insanely hot girl for a night or two. However, we really want to have a long-term relationship with the fun, smart, and interesting girl who may only be average looking. If you find one who's hot and has a great personality, you hit the jackpot, but it's really more about who she is than what she looks like.

:lol haha I love that analogy. And yes, it's absolutely true!

Gameplay should always come first. The Mario Bros series is the perfect example. The first Mario was addictive and it went on that way for many years. Then they tried to upgrade the graphics and let the gameplay slip (Mario 64), now they are back to the side scrolling ok graphics and the series is back on it's feet. On the other hand, Two Worlds was graphiclly great but the game play sucked ass and the game tanked. Where as Elder Scrolls Morrowind's graphics were ok at best but the gameplay was great and the series is still strong today with the advancement of gameplay and upgraded graphics.

So more money IMO should always go to gameplay and story and then graphics should come next. Graphics can always be made better later, but you won't get that chance to upgrade if the gameplay sucks and the game tanks.

The first Mario was addictive and it went on that way for many years. Then they tried to upgrade the graphics and let the gameplay slip (Mario 64)...

I wouldn't say they let the gameplay slip in regards to Mario 64. Nintendo was just trying to break into 3D, and I'd say they did it rather successfully, as the engine was pretty groundbreaking at the time. It was pretty much the game all other companies based their 3D games off, so that's saying something.

I say both...if a game has great graphics and bad gameplay, i woudlnt' play...and vice versa...
i mean seriously, who'd buy a game with atari graphics but the best gameplay ever?

Back