Graphics are Overrated!!!!! Come on and say it with me!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which do you think is more important???

• Gameplay first, graphics second

Votes: 67 82.7%
  • Graphics first, gameplay second

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • I don't care because I'm still playing my NES.

Votes: 6 7.4%

• Total voters
I believe gameplay should come first as well. But I don't think there's any reason why there shouldn't be a nice balance between the two now a days.

Graphics first, cause i mean thats what EPIC was thinking when making gears of queers/gears of gay...amazing graphics...worst game play ever. for all those i just offended..all i have to say is haha.

I played Simon's Quest to the beginning of the upside down tower a few months back. That was the most fun I have had playing a video game in awhile. Graphics are not everything. :ghost

I don't really see the logic to this thread. Sure, most of you might say that gameplay counts more than graphics. But, personally, I'll refuse to go near any new game that looks like the first Ultima :lol.

Graphics count first for me. Good graphics are the first indicator of a good game, and everything else follows. Can you guys honestly name one high ranking, industry breaking game, that was not graphically superior during its time? I'm going to assume, no.

Can you guys honestly name one high ranking, industry breaking game, that was not graphically superior during its time? I'm going to assume, no.
Don't know what an "industry breaking game" is, exactly, but. . .

Pac-Man
Frogger
Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!
Super Mario Brothers 3
Fire Pro Wrestling series
Mega Man II
Ninja Gaiden
nearly every DS game

These were all (and still are) great games that weren't really graphically "superior." In fact, their graphics were all pretty average when released, as I recall. Graphics are very secondary to me, but. . .I mostly play NES, so that was my vote.

I played Simon's Quest to the beginning of the upside down tower a few months back. That was the most fun I have had playing a video game in awhile. Graphics are not everything. :ghost
I personally wouldn't have used that example, as I think of that as one of the absolute worst Castlevanias, up there with the 3-D N64 one. But, taste is taste :)

Graphics count first for me. Good graphics are the first indicator of a good game, and everything else follows. Can you guys honestly name one high ranking, industry breaking game, that was not graphically superior during its time? I'm going to assume, no.

I think people have answered this question so maybe we can also list games that were graphically superior in their day but still sucked rags... like Dragon's Lair.

I could play a game made in the 90's with crappy graphics, and great gameplay with no problem. However, a game made now (Wii excluded) is inexcusible to have such ^^^^ty graphics.

I think a game needs a good gameplay system to make it a good game... the graphics should be icing on the cake. Good graphics often trick gamers into believing the game is good simply because it looks nice. I've had so many arguments with people when the PS3 came out... My friends would rant on about games like Heavenly Sword, ignoring the really crappy gameplay because it's so gorgeous. I couldn't stand the game because it was boring to play.

Yes, graphics do help in drawing a player in, but think of it this way (for guys, at least, and don't say it isn't true)... We all want to get with the stupid but insanely hot girl for a night or two. However, we really want to have a long-term relationship with the fun, smart, and interesting girl who may only be average looking. If you find one who's hot and has a great personality, you hit the jackpot, but it's really more about who she is than what she looks like.

And think about game remixes with improved visuals nowadays... Resident Evil 1 on the GC and most recently, SSFIIT HD. Better graphics just make the game more visually pleasing, but the gameplay is what holds the package together. What if they release a graphically improved version of Street Fighter 1 without a whole revamp of the fighting system? You think anyone would want to play it?

I've had so many arguments with people when the PS3 came out... My friends would rant on about games like Heavenly Sword, ignoring the really crappy gameplay because it's so gorgeous. I couldn't stand the game because it was boring to play.
i'd say that is also a really terrible game, but i know that there are a lot of people who swear on the Bible that its awesome. i got it for free with my PS3, and beat it the day i bought it. not worth the time if you ask me.

I think people have answered this question so maybe we can also list games that were graphically superior in their day but still sucked rags... like Dragon's Lair.
This would be the single case I would think of where the graphics (actual cell animation) were enough to make a game good despite crappy gameplay. I am biased, because I have great nostalgia for this game, but I really enjoy it, the sequel, and Space Ace.

Gameplay > Graphics.
It's a big part of why so many AAA titles are trashy, and so many cult titles have rabid legions of fans.
Look at Katamari Damacy. Terrible graphics from a technical standpoint, but the game was insanely addicting. It's also why Megaman 8 can come out and be successful with the same graphics resources used in Megaman 1 back on the NES. Gameplay makes the game.

Saw a couple of people with a "Graphics means quality" view. That's a really risky strategy. Most devs these days take that same approach to their games so they can get attention at trade shows and build up anticipation pre-release.
Problem is, by this point they've spent most of their dev time on a gorgeous graphics, and we end up with a short, derrivative game that looks pretty.

If the graphics first folks were in control, the game industry would be gone in 10 years.

I've got a PSP and my two favourite games I regularly see in the Bargain Bin for £4 Lumines 1&2 (only count them as one game really) and Gunpey, such simple games but so incredibly addictive you wouldn't believe.

It's not all the developers fault they're just giving the majority of the public what they want and most of the attitude is Good graphics = Good Gameplay.

Especially when it comes to parents who buy them as gifts, they're not going to want to sit and read through magazines and online sites to find out if the game is actually any good. It's a judging a book by its cover approach.

Which explains why so many sports games are recycling each and everything ^^^^ing year and just made a little bit prettier and they hit the top of the sales charts and the next year bung up the bargain bins.

Especially when it comes to parents who buy them as gifts, they're not going to want to sit and read through magazines and online sites to find out if the game is actually any good. It's a judging a book by its cover approach.

Yes, that's a HUGE problem, and I think that kids nowadays (hahahahaha... I felt so old typing that out) are being spoiled by the amazing visuals of today's games. Whenever I'm in earshot of kids and their parents in a video game store or department, I always hear something like, "This game looks so good... I want it." I don't know about anyone else here, but back in the day, I used to say to myself (and my parents and friends), "This game looks so fun... I want it." I don't know if there's something being lost in translation here, but I don't think what I focused on as a kid is the same as what today's kids look for...

Good...and fun can be the same thing....

And you'd be no different if you had great graphics then....

I think that most people's view on this subject is kinda biased. my favorite games from the past, from today's perspective, have crappy graphics. But back when they were released, I'm sure were like many other games.

Are their games with great graphics (either today or in the past) that have sucked, GOD YES. Have there been games with great story and gameplay (either today or in the past) that have sucked, GOD YES.

Personally, most of the my all-time favorite games, for today, have really crappy graphics. Old NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, PC, etc. games that just have the greatest gameplay like DAY OF THE TENTACLE (funniest game ever btw). Like many others have said, we are spoiled today, with the capability to have amazing graphics, game makers seem to want to have quantity over quality, which is just sad to me. I really wish more games were actually thought out and planned when in the making then most game nowadays

You can say graphics back then sucked, but for the times they didn't. With every system that's come out people rave about how good the graphics have gotten. When I was a kid I went from Pong to an Atari 2600. Combat was the first game I ever had for that system and I loved it. With every system that's come out graphics and gameplay have improved.

I think in today's gaming world you need both the be a "great" game. Good graphics with sorry gameplay does not = a good game and great gameplay with sorry graphics doesn't do it for most people either.

Today's systems can provide both so it's up to the developers to provide it or face harsh reviews and opinions.

Back