Figures that stood the test of time...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have to give it to sideshow buck bodies.

wonky as ****, but refuses to break. tough built.lolz

true types and clones hit snap city on a regular basis. lolz

Here are mine
09698e31b23e6d28af48bf694dcddd2a.jpg
f06b55e153138f74c4c2c462ad73c26b.jpg
832df1f0de8025f8b4dbf344d3d8565d.jpg

The very first figure I ever saw from Hot Toys in a toy forum that blew me away and wanted ever since, but I thought it was too expensive since I didn't know what I knew about HT back then was The Godfather figure. That's the BEST HT i have ever seen and would have loved to have when it came out... Maybe one day... That's when HT expanded their tastes to different movies, now they just focus on DC and Marvel.

HT aliens space marines are very old, but have super detalization and are absolutely unique. replace the heads with modern standart sculpts, and it's something never repeated with zero flaws.
so they really stood the test of time.

Have they really stood the test of time if you have to replace the heads?

if you find a flaw in their uniform, weapons, armor that puts their quality lower than modern day figures, than they "didn't stand the test of time".
in fact they have higher level of quality than modern figures.
the only flaw is that their heads were made before HT upped the level of headsculpting and material choice.
so... still yes.

Last edited:
Original Kenner Star Wars 12" (minus Boba Fett). "Stood the test of time" and I see figures from less than 5 years ago here.. :slap

If you want to step back a few more years for HT, Space Adam made for Winson Ma from 2008 or version 2 Firefighters from 2009 (minus facial paint application, HT doesn't make anything half as good any more overall)

I'd love to have HT's Hellboy, but I also realize I'd have to replace the entire lower half of the body. I'm not sure anyone still has an original without plastic breakage (like with Spider-Man 3 - the only people I know who say they have no breakage are people lying or mistaken)

Last edited:
Original Kenner Star Wars 12" (minus Boba Fett). "Stood the test of time" and I see figures from less than 5 years ago here.. :slap

If you want to step back a few more years for HT, Space Adam made for Winson Ma from 2008 or version 2 Firefighters from 2009 (minus facial paint application, HT doesn't make anything half as good any more overall)

I'd love to have HT's Hellboy, but I also realize I'd have to replace the entire lower half of the body. I'm not sure anyone still has an original without plastic breakage (like with Spider-Man 3 - the only people I know who say they have no breakage are people lying or mistaken)

I agree with your sentiment. Less than 5 years ago doesn't really qualify "stood the test of time"...but I don't think it's really that ridiculous for some of those that made their choices. You have figures that are 1-3 years apart and the jump in quality between them is jarring. Off the top of my head are the Thor figures. Most recently the Dx13 and john matrix.

I don't see the need to disagree with people's choices for figures standing the test of time. In fact, I strongly believe some of the choices they made will in fact stand the test of time...when we eventually get there of course.

I was making the distinction that "will stand" is not the same thing as "have stood" - I jumped in because of your thread title - figures that have already been proven.

IMO, if we're answering the question you asked in your first post, there's no point in mentioning recent figures.

No one mentioned Blade either, and that was from 2009 and still looks far better than most of what HT has released since. Interestingly that's the same year they released the Firefighters I mentioned earlier and the jump in paint sophistication is night and day. But that's more a design direction, IMO rather than a comment on capability. Same goes for many older figures with flat paint - the ability to paint hyper-realistic faces has been around for a long time - it just wasn't the style people expected and no one was doing it commercially at scale.

I was making the distinction that "will stand" is not the same thing as "have stood" - I jumped in because of your thread title - figures that have already been proven.

IMO, if we're answering the question you asked in your first post, there's no point in mentioning recent figures.

No one mentioned Blade either, and that was from 2009 and still looks far better than most of what HT has released since. Interestingly that's the same year they released the Firefighters I mentioned earlier and the jump in paint sophistication is night and day. But that's more a design direction, IMO rather than a comment on capability. Same goes for many older figures with flat paint - the ability to paint hyper-realistic faces has been around for a long time - it just wasn't the style people expected and no one was doing it commercially at scale.

I think someone did mention blade. An awesome figure that I'm proud to own two of *hugs his blade figures in a non creepy way)*.

As for your point, yeah I understand. But whatever, it is what it is.

I have another one I'm thinking of...iron man MKVI. The jump from the MKIII was crazy. Aside from the pink panties...the figure itself still holds up IMO. The proportions, articulation, accessories. One of my faves. I think of the MKVI as the iPad2 in the 1/6 world.

Blade's there, Evilface's post

HT aliens space marines are very old, but have super detalization and are absolutely unique. replace the heads with modern standart sculpts, and it's something never repeated with zero flaws.
so they really stood the test of time.
Good call. I have thought about this many times. Sure, they were fragile, but nicely detailed and painted.

The only 2 that I can say truly stood the test of time are DX Sparrow and Leonidas (I can say Leo as someone who didn't have any rubber issues). I think while there are others that still hold up fine, those are the only 2 that could get released tomorrow exactly as they were and they'd blend right in with today's standards (don't know enough about Hellboy to say if he's here too). Of course except Leo would be $239.99 and DX06 would be $350+ :monkey1

A close second for me would be the T-1000. The entire package is up to today's speed and sculpt is bang on. It even comes from a time when the were able to nail pale skinned Caucasian tone, but the only thing that lets it down is the paint app isn't exactly up to today's realism. I guess there are a few others that fall into this realm like a couple of the MJ figs

Of the figures I have (and I know I will probably get laughed at) but one of my favorites is still the first release HT Scar Predator. It was my second HT figure. And I didn't feel the need to update him with the v2 release. Along with that the AVP Alien warrior still looks awesome!

Also I still love the US Navy SEAL Team 8 Boarding Unit by BBI. I use it as my definitive SEAL even though I know there are much more detailed choices since. And the extra bonus of that figure was how much I paid (yeah the good 'ol days!!!:yess:)

Of the figures I don't have I agree HT Blade still looks phenomenal.

Back