Eternal - 1/6 Gentleman of Crime (Batman Returns Penguin)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cancelled my order for this. I don't buy figures to be placeholders. I know it's asking too much for consumer protections in the dodgy world of 3rd party figures, but Eternal toys needs to be held accountable for pulling this bait and switch. I certainly won't be pre-odering anything with their name on it again. I hope Kit will warn us if they offer anything in the future under another company name.

I cancelled my order for this. I don't buy figures to be placeholders. I know it's asking too much for consumer protections in the dodgy world of 3rd party figures, but Eternal toys needs to be held accountable for pulling this bait and switch. I certainly won't be pre-odering anything with their name on it again. I hope Kit will warn us if they offer anything in the future under another company name.
I try to be transparent, I will tell as soon as I can tell under my position

I wasn’t close to eternal before but I start to dig and find out who they are, you will be surprised for brands they own and brands they produce for.

Their vulture was good according to feedbacks, maybe they are bait and switch on this figure but not too serious in my opinion, if you saw those 3rd party company who just use hot toys as promote picture to take order for a complete recast

This is part of the reason we take NRD as a middle man, in case this kind of situation happens while we can’t get any sort of refund from manufacturers

I try to be transparent, I will tell as soon as I can tell under my position

I wasn’t close to eternal before but I start to dig and find out who they are, you will be surprised for brands they own and brands they produce for.

Their vulture was good according to feedbacks, maybe they are bait and switch on this figure but not too serious in my opinion, if you saw those 3rd party company who just use hot toys as promote picture to take order for a complete recast

This is part of the reason we take NRD as a middle man, in case this kind of situation happens while we can’t get any sort of refund from manufacturers
I understand Kit. I'm not surprised that the industry is so interwoven that company names are probably meaningless, but unfortunately it falls to you to act as the consumer advocate for the collector community. I don't want you to take a financial hit on this because you were lied to as well, but I hope more collectors cancel this item. I don't see any other way to keep these fly by night companies honest.

It ain't a total train wreck some product and styling and you can get better top hats on eBay for around $10. Sculpt definitely is a down grade but not unusable like people are saying.

For the price I'm quite happy, not like we have any other penguins on the market at this price.

My only real concern is how to pad the outfit as it seems stitched shut.

The hat looks like complete garbage, but have sourced a few cheap options on eBay (thanks for the tip!)

The body being a solid suprised me, I thought it would be a fat suit and agree filling it out a bit more at the top might not be so easy to do.

I jumped on this when the pre-order started. The photos are not encouraging, but I’m hopeful that there is still a reasonably good sculpt in there. Time to break out my paints again!

First, THANK YOU @Bigbreda for the great review.

I have to agree with Breda, the figure looks better in the video than I was expecting. Yes, the hands are wrong, the boots are sculpted, the hat is shapeless; there's issues all over... but overall, he doesn't look bad. I think there's a lot to work with here.

The onesie looks much better then I feared. The body shape is more accurate then I thought. And the sculpt is not horrible. Too pink, but quite salvageable I think -- a repaint, even just a white wash, will do wonders. I'm not sure what to do with that punched-in hair though. Thinning it will leave holes all over his head. Might be better to make the hat work OR find a better top hat on ebay (finding one that fits won't be easy though).

Are those the same two penguins as the old Horizon vinyl kit?

All in all, you get a great hypno-umbrella, two rocket-penguins, a really good onesie complete with rear pooper, and a head that you can practice your white-washing skills on.

I don't think the hands are wrong?

Screenshot_20230930-184943.png

The more I look at it for being an unlicensed figure and for the price it really could be quite a bit worse. The sculpt is a miss which is a big component but I don’t know that it’s a total loss. Maybe I’m making myself feel better.

I agree with Wor-gar, it's not all bad. The video shows the onesie is actually much better than the pics display. I like the weathering.

The hair sucks, but hair is also quite difficult, so I can't expect much better for the price.

The headsculpt is puzzling - it seems to lack the jowls of the prototype. I also don't like the airbrushed-feeling of the paint. The real disappointment here is the pink flesh tones, instead of the more sickly, pale colors of the film (and prototype).

Not having the fingers fused was just stupid and lazy. That's not cost-cutting, that's just not taking the time to examine the on-screen hands. There's really no excuse for that one.

I'm not too bothered by the lack of laces on the boots - neither of my customs have them.

The bib might look a bit too big, but that's more a function of the fact that everything else shrunk from the prototype, making it look like the bib grew. The tie is smaller, the headsculpt is thinner, etc. I think the bib looks like less of an issue, and the figure overall looks better, with the jacket.

The penguins lack detail with their rocket apparatus. They'll be the "extras," standing in the background behind my more details penguin commandos (from the old model kits). But the low detail was in the prototypes, so I can't complain about that.

What I find hilarious is that they include a giant picture of the superior prototype with the figure. It's almost like they're laughing at you - "Haha, this is what you wanted and it's not what you get in the box! Never forget!"

The umbrella does look quite nice.

So the altered, fleshy paint and the non-fused fingers are the big let-downs for me. But I'll still be keeping my orders. First, I've got enough parts with my customs that I can probably enhance these (clothing and bodies are actually the harder part of kitbashing a Penguin, not the headsculpt!). Second, I'd rather have Penguin than not have Penguin - and as the last 15 years of 1/6 collecting has taught me, a bird in hand is better than two in the bush. Tout Mars Toys all you want - they don't have a figure yet. When they do, I'll probably pick it up, but I'm not taking my chances after Hot Toys promised - and didn't deliver - since their announced license acquisition more than 10 years ago.

People talk about not rewarding Eternal Toys for letting them down, but the opposite of that is wanting to reward someone for investing in Batman Returns figures after others delivered nothing. Showing that there's consumer interest.

And experience has shown me that in a few years, believe it or not, this thing will sell on the secondary market for more than I'm paying to get it, because collectors late in the game will always be looking for what little they can find.

What I find hilarious is that they include a giant picture of the superior prototype with the figure. It's almost like they're laughing at you - "Haha, this is what you wanted and it's not what you get in the box! Never forget!"

That is funny, and sad. It even looks like they removed the real laces from the pic (at least the big bow knot at top).

I'm not taking my chances after Hot Toys promised - and didn't deliver - since their announced license acquisition more than 10 years ago.

Yep! THIS!

As Penguin himself would say: a 'bird' in the fused hand...

I'm glad for those who are happier seeing the video.
I have to agree that it certainly looks better in the video than the pictures... but when you look at the prototype its still a pretty substantial drop in quality.
I understand what people are saying its decent "for the price..." "for third party" but the truth is that if they advertised this as it has turned out not as many people would have ordered [including myself] and when people say "what can you expect for xyz" it makes me a little annoyed as in my opinion what we should expect is what was advertised or as close to it as possible - when that isnt the case people have a right to be upset and cancel.

This is by no means a disaster - the umbrella looks good, the penguins are fun little accessories and seem to have come out well, the onesie is better than the pictures make it look, the gloved hands and boots are passable, that the body is molded is nice....
but its not all good news - the head colour is very bad, the sculpt material has lost a significant amount of the details and caused it to shrink, the cravat needs replacing, the hat is a disaster, the hair is bad and wont be an easy fix, the coat is a significant downgrade...

I think this could be a fun project and those with the skill, time or money to do so could produce some pretty good figures all in all.
This is the basis of a really good custom figure, sadly I have too many projects of my own right now to tackle this.

Alternatively, If Mars or Soosoo do a Penguin with multiple sculpts you could easily pop it on this figure and it would be a big improvement.

I'm definitely gunshy now about further 3rd party figures. This is my first "true downgrade" experience and, yes, I'm disappointed from what I expected. And truthfully, I was not wholly impressed by this proto Penguin to begin with. So the noticeable downgrade is even more distressing.

But -- and that but is as big as Penguin's -- I think it is salvageable, even though I didn't really want salvageable. I bought this expecting to have to do some work. Now, I'll have to do more.

This figure is the reason I have decided against buying the Dragon Armored Freeze. No more risks. I'll PO from reliable companies; I'll wait-and-see from more questionable sources.

Functional: very old designs for onesies/sleepwear used to have access holes so you didnt have to get undressed to go to the toilet and could keep warm [especially as the toilet was often an outhouse]

It's weird though, with the three layers or "openings". I thought maybe it was how they got the outfit on the body.

Back