Enterbay Game of Death 1/6 2010

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why are some people so keen for this figure to fail?

It's early days, we have only had a few pictures, and so far I'm pretty excited at what this figure could be capable of.

I think you're exaggerating most of your points, though some of them aren't untrue.

With the FoF I don't think there was any problem with the final product, I think it's large edition size combined with it's very high cost ($320 at launch) resulted in a large number being left over.

I think the newer Bruce Lee figures have been impeccable, and they just happen to be the ones you didn't mention. The Nokia GoD, Kato, and really I found no fault on my FoF. I think they've gotten a hang of things. Their Bruce's are a cut above most of their other figures, and it shows (or else they wouldn't be going for $1000s on ebay).

I don't know about your side but the word around this region is that for the price they are asking for the FOF (the most expensive BL release that time), FOF BL misses the mark. So yes, the price is an issue, especially when the product does not reflect the asking price.

If you think I am exaggerating, do take note that I have personally handled or had the opportunity to closely scrutinized all of their Bruce Lee. The Nokia GOD I didn't mention because it's nothing new. Just a ETD head on a 2.5BL body with a GOD costume.

The Kato you brought up a good point. That one is indeed their best Bruce so far. If you must have one BL, that is the one to get.

Reason being sold out ETB BL fetching high prices is because no one else is making them. HT will change that soon enough.

As for the 1000USD price, now you are exaggerating. The asking price and the actual price paid are two different thing. One thing I can tell you is that the two most sought after ETB BL (ETD A and ETD B) just changed hands for less than 500USD. An FOF also recently changed hands for around 350USD.

I work in a shop dealing with all high end collectibles and collectors on a daily basis. It will not be profitable for me to see ETB fail. It just saddens me that over the years, confidence have been dropping for ETB products and my customers these days have a wait a see approach with ETB, because most of them do not believe the final product will live up to the proto.

The Ip Man was the final straw for most people. The actual product was so far off that some actually says they will not collect ETB again. Don't even get me started on the Chen Zhen figure. People just don't care about ETB anymore.

Some people here like to make it like HT is the giant greedy corporation that is out to kill the smaller competitors. The actual fact is, HT got to where they are today because they delivers, they keep their promises, they constantly up the ante, and their price remains cheaper than ETB.

It's early days, we have only had a few pictures, and so far I'm pretty excited at what this figure could be capable of.

Yeah i don't get this either,why do people want EB to fail?

I don't know about your side but the word around this region is that for the price they are asking for the FOF (the most expensive BL release that time), FOF BL misses the mark. So yes, the price is an issue, especially when the product does not reflect the asking price.

If you think I am exaggerating, do take note that I have personally handled or had the opportunity to closely scrutinized all of their Bruce Lee. The Nokia GOD I didn't mention because it's nothing new. Just a ETD head on a 2.5BL body with a GOD costume.

The Kato you brought up a good point. That one is indeed their best Bruce so far. If you must have one BL, that is the one to get.

Reason being sold out ETB BL fetching high prices is because no one else is making them. HT will change that soon enough.

As for the 1000USD price, now you are exaggerating. The asking price and the actual price paid are two different thing. One thing I can tell you is that the two most sought after ETB BL (ETD A and ETD B) just changed hands for less than 500USD. An FOF also recently changed hands for around 350USD.

I work in a shop dealing with all high end collectibles and collectors on a daily basis. It will not be profitable for me to see ETB fail. It just saddens me that over the years, confidence have been dropping for ETB products and my customers these days have a wait a see approach with ETB, because most of them do not believe the final product will live up to the proto.

The Ip Man was the final straw for most people. The actual product was so far off that some actually says they will not collect ETB again. Don't even get me started on the Chen Zhen figure. People just don't care about ETB anymore.

Some people here like to make it like HT is the giant greedy corporation that is out to kill the smaller competitors. The actual fact is, HT got to where they are today because they delivers, they keep their promises, they constantly up the ante, and their price remains cheaper than ETB.

Well that's the thing, I don't know what region you are from, but the way I see it, a lot of collectors from HK over scrutinize anyway (if word from the collector forums are anything to go by).

And regarding the FoF, I am speaking solely about technical quality, not the inherent value of the set. I don't find any flaws paint or sculpt wise and I thought that's what you were speaking about in your previous post. The FoF might be very expensive for what it is, but there's no denying that it's still a very good rendition of Bruce Lee.

I also want to bring up the Noki GoD because you had made the comment that the EtD Bruce looked like it was blushing. They fixed that for the Nokia GoD. Just because that figure is a frankenfigure combination of past releases (or 'nothing new' as you put it) doesn't exclude it from a judgeable release from Enterbay.

It is true the prices for rarer Enterbay BL figures have been dropping recently, but there was a time when some of them sold for over 1000usd. And still now they go for at least 2-3x original price.

I too have seen each Enterbay BL figure up close (thanks to a rather overly expensive shop in San Francisco), and there are ups and downs, but the recent ones have been exemplary.

I do agree that Enterbay isn't as consistent with quality control as Hot Toys, but HT is still a much larger outfit.

Well that's the thing, I don't know what region you are from, but the way I see it, a lot of collectors from HK over scrutinize anyway (if word from the collector forums are anything to go by).

And regarding the FoF, I am speaking solely about technical quality, not the inherent value of the set. I don't find any flaws paint or sculpt wise and I thought that's what you were speaking about in your previous post. The FoF might be very expensive for what it is, but there's no denying that it's still a very good rendition of Bruce Lee.

I also want to bring up the Noki GoD because you had made the comment that the EtD Bruce looked like it was blushing. They fixed that for the Nokia GoD. Just because that figure is a frankenfigure combination of past releases (or 'nothing new' as you put it) doesn't exclude it from a judgeable release from Enterbay.

It is true the prices for rarer Enterbay BL figures have been dropping recently, but there was a time when some of them sold for over 1000usd. And still now they go for at least 2-3x original price.

I too have seen each Enterbay BL figure up close (thanks to a rather overly expensive shop in San Francisco), and there are ups and downs, but the recent ones have been exemplary.

I do agree that Enterbay isn't as consistent with quality control as Hot Toys, but HT is still a much larger outfit.

Well, I am from the South East Asia region and we do get word and news of collectibles pretty fast around here. HK forummers do over analyze, but the direct word from customers are always a good indication of their views of the product

What you say is indeed true, the Nokia GOD has a much better paintjob, no more mispainted eyebrows and no more blush. It is right up there with the Kato.

Their StormWarrior stuff is pretty good and the recent statue is just superb for the price but the Ip Man:slap, it's like they suddenly took five steps back.

Yeah...Ip Man did not turn out as well as most would like, but I thought it was still worth the money I paid for it, especially considering that training dummy.

In a way I envy how quickly you (and natives from that region) can get your hands on the newest stuff. At least it means good folks are providing good info for the rest of us everywhere else. :lol

Vultures, they are!

We shared our concerns about the Rubber Body only,not the other issues like those stains from the clothes.

Yeah, I don't know about Enterbay's history, but I have the Kato figure and it has similar marks. Not only these marks though, but the way you turn the arms at the shoulder can easily end up grinding bits off the body (I didn't realise this until I one day changed clothes and found all these flesh shavings inside). The worst part though is the paint on the gloved hands seems to be permanently sticky and so when I leave the hands sitting on any surface, like in the box, when I come back spots of paint will be entirely lifted off. It is a wonderful figure though, perhaps my most favourite, but certainly the quality, even on what feels like it should be quite simple matters to master, leaves a whole lot to be desired.

...And the winner of the best politically incorrect post goes to Plasmid for the use of the word natives in his sentence! :clap

:lol You've got to be kidding. Maybe it's just because I'm a 'native' of one of the more politically incorrect nations on earth, but I'm sure the only thing that can be inferred from Plasmid's use of that term in this context is the correct and appropriate meaning of the word.

You say it like you want EB to fail :slap

No I really don't, I want the opposite which is why I don't get this.

Everyone keeps telling me what a competitor EB is. I'm sorry but they are not.

They make a hell of a great looking product but from a single license, if they really want to compete with Hot Toys they need to prove to me they can do anything other then Bruce Lee.

You do the same exact character 6 times you better make that 6th version mind blowing ____ing nuts incredible. Like the DX Joker x2. Where as HT is doing machines, humans, aliens, cyborg hybrids with fleshy, metal and light up parts all running through the same ariculated just as detailed figure.

So yea typical rubber bodied same old figure they already made right down to the same outfit version, is beyond underwhelming.

To me this is like if Hot Toys announced a new Joker figure. Its just stupid and stagnant. A waste of talent at worst.

Hot Toys is working on :

Iron Man (complex, working, light up suits over bodies)
Terminator (Human/machine hybrids)
Bruce Lee (this plastic body may not look as good but will outlast EB's)
Platoon (Covers the 1/6 war/History collectors (big market)
Superman (With Arnie Kim sculpting, thats gotta hurt a little EB)
Marvel License (Spidermans, etc)
maybe Avatar (Biggest grossing movie ever will likely be a successful license)

EB :

Bruce Lee (8th or so version of him)
IP Man
maybe Scarface and Leon

Last edited:

They make a hell of a great looking product but from a single license, if they really want to compete with Hot Toys they need to prove to me they can do anything other then Bruce Lee.

You do the same exact character 6 times you better make that 6th version mind blowing ____ing nuts incredible. Like the DX Joker x2. Where as HT is doing machines, humans, aliens, cyborg hybrids with fleshy, metal and light up parts all running through the same ariculated just as detailed figure.

So yea typical rubber bodied same old figure they already made right down to the same outfit version, is beyond underwhelming.

Hey Deckard, there has been a lot of confusion over the body shown in the pics in the first page, but I think we have a confirmation that it's just a dummy body or mannequin for use in development. A couple pages back, Aeumuse stated that it isn't a poseable rubber body.

edit: woops, double post. Oh well.

To me this is like if Hot Toys announced a new Joker figure. Its just stupid and stagnant. A waste of talent at worst.

Hot Toys is working on :

Iron Man (complex, working, light up suits over bodies)
Terminator (Human/machine hybrids)
Bruce Lee (this plastic body may not look as good but will outlast EB's)
Platoon (Covers the 1/6 war/History collectors (big market)
Superman (With Arnie Kim sculpting, thats gotta hurt a little EB)
Marvel License (Spidermans, etc)
maybe Avatar (Biggest grossing movie ever will likely be a successful license)

EB :

Bruce Lee (8th or so version of him)
IP Man
maybe Scarface and Leon

Like i have been saying many times,EB doesn't seem to care about the competition like HT do,they just make what they want and have fun with it.They are clearly not after HT and try to take them down at all,if they did,they would try to acquire more licenses.
People might say Enterbay is better,no they are not,but YJ Park as a single artist is the best in my opinion,but Yulli and Arnie is not far behind,Kojun makes great figures too but i always thought he failed on likeness until i saw his Barney Ross,his first figure since he arrived HT that he really succeeded with the Likeness.

Like i have been saying many times,EB doesn't seem to care about the competition like HT do,they just make what they want and have fun with it.They are clearly not after HT and try to take them down at all,if they did,they would try to acquire more licenses.

That is funny, cause why is people thinking that HT is trying to kill the competition? Just because HT is the bigger and more successful company? It's funny how HT is suddenly like Walmart.

HT still remains as one of the more feedback receptive companies out there. How many countless times has HT changed a product due to fans feedback?

To be fair, just two years ago, ETB was poise to take on HT head on, evident during the Godfather wars. JUst that ETB made some bad calls along the way and now falling far behind.

I think ETB wants to get more license. They probably do not have the resources to do so. I mean, they already lost a factory. A few licences are already going to waste and not generating any revenue for them and most likely, until they can get back on their feet, they just can't dedicated that much time and manpower to multiple licenses at one go.

Natives:

100_5680.jpg

I don't get why people argue about whether HT is better than EB or vice versa. These 2 companies are competing in the 1/6 figure market, yes, but with different products. If you want an Iron Man figure, you have to buy HT, not EB. If you want a Batman figure, you have to buy HT, not EB. If you want a Jack Bauer figure, you have to buy EB, not HT. You get my point.....

The only area where these 2 companies cross is Bruce Lee. But for most hardcore Asian fanatics (which is the heart of HT/EB's market), they will buy both HT and EB Bruce Lees. So both companies win.

So please quit comparing the 2 companies, it's a moot point.

I don't get why people argue about whether HT is better than EB or vice versa. These 2 companies are competing in the 1/6 figure market, yes, but with different products. If you want an Iron Man figure, you have to buy HT, not EB. If you want a Batman figure, you have to buy HT, not EB. If you want a Jack Bauer figure, you have to buy EB, not HT. You get my point.....

The only area where these 2 companies cross is Bruce Lee. But for most hardcore Asian fanatics (which is the heart of HT/EB's market), they will buy both HT and EB Bruce Lees. So both companies win.

So please quit comparing the 2 companies, it's a moot point.

True enough, but the companies have crossed to some extent with the Godfather figures and Prison Break figures. And HT coming into the Bruce Lee line just happened to coincide with Kim's move from EB to HT. Soon after Kim's switch, EB are to release their first Bruce Lee figures in a while. So comparisons are inevitable really, at least regarding the Bruce Lee line.

Most collectors on this board are not hardcore Asian fanatics, and most, I would guess, will not be picking up both these figures - unless both offerings are so mind-numbingly awesome that people will find a way to pick up one of each.

I've got DX04 on preorder, and my intention was to wait to see if EB comes up to par with what they're offering. At this stage it looks like I will pick up both figures just because I'm confident that the HT final product will almost definitely be a few notches up from the last pics we saw, and also because of how EB's WIP pics are looking at the moment.

Discussions like this help me make a more informed decision about my purchase - but they also are interesting to me because I don't know half as much about these companies' histories as some on this board.

Last edited:
Back