Dragon Toy - The Dark Ruler 1/6 Scale

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice. Didn’t they also originally choreograph a fight between Aragorn and Sauron at the battle at The a Black Gate and then replaced Sauron with a Troll… So they must have had a scale in mind for that- but I guess that’s not prologue Sauron so it also wouldn’t be definitive considering Sauron is in a diminished state.
I happy with the Weta scale. He’s big enough to believably swat half a dozen full grown men (& elves) at a time.

Nice. Didn’t they also originally choreograph a fight between Aragorn and Sauron at the battle at The a Black Gate and then replaced Sauron with a Troll… So they must have had a scale in mind for that- but I guess that’s not prologue Sauron so it also wouldn’t be definitive considering Sauron is in a diminished state.
I happy with the Weta scale. He’s big enough to believably swat half a dozen full grown men (& elves) at a time.
I added a pic about that deleted scene fight between Sauron and Aragorn a few posts earlier to show that the size of Sauron was not double of Aragorn.

I added a pic about that deleted scene fight between Sauron and Aragorn a few posts earlier to show that the size of Sauron was not double of Aragorn.
Which is really strange. While there’s no scene showing exactly how tall Sauron is compared to Elendil or even Isildur, he’s clearly still portrayed as some enormous monster from their 7’11”/241cm and 7’/213cm perspectives, even if that was done just for drama or symbolism. You’d think someone who towers over an already incredibly tall person would easily be able to double Aragorn’s average height.

Which is really strange. While there’s no scene showing exactly how tall Sauron is compared to Elendil or even Isildur, he’s clearly still portrayed as some enormous monster from their 7’11”/241cm and 7’/213cm perspectives, even if that was done just for drama or symbolism. You’d think someone who towers over an already incredibly tall person would easily be able to double Aragorn’s average height.
That would be true if the actors would have been that tall but they were around the standard 6 ft I think (Peter Mckenzie who played Elendil Height: 185cm / 6ft 1in). They were not towering over their fellow numenorians nor the elves around them (Elendil was the tallest numenorian who survived the Fall of Numenor).
Aragorn should have been 6 ft 6 inches according to the Books yet he was 5ft 11 in the movies.
So I dont think they tried to portray Elendil and Isildur according to their heights in the books. Just as the elves are not 7 ft-ish tall which they should have been in the Prologue.

They filmed the entire fight but they scrapped it and went with the CG Troll replacement to not take away from Frodo and Sam's ending.

Personally I feel like 9 feet tall is a better representation of how tall Peter was trying to convey him as. 12 feet just seems overly massive and not in-line with the quick shots that we've seen both in the movie and in these BTS shots but it's something we'll never truly know for certain.

Either way, will consider keeping the PO and see how I feel closer to release. Really wish this was 18" max but I really do want a Sauron figure in the collection.

8PWKuMv.png
fN8oO4S.png

yGe8Zzv.png

L21q2B9.png

cIVM1XR.png
iK7hxBD.png

Last edited:
Sauron is portrayed as being 9 feet 2 inches (2.79 m) tall in the Lord of the Rings films. so he should be 46.5cm/18.3 inches tall. So this is way oversized. 59cm means 3.54m in reality which is a Trolls height...
That would be true if the actors would have been that tall but they were around the standard 6 ft I think (Peter Mckenzie who played Elendil Height: 185cm / 6ft 1in). They were not towering over their fellow numenorians nor the elves around them (Elendil was the tallest numenorian who survived the Fall of Numenor).
Aragorn should have been 6 ft 6 inches according to the Books yet he was 5ft 11 in the movies.
So I dont think they tried to portray Elendil and Isildur according to their heights in the books. Just as the elves are not 7 ft-ish tall which they should have been in the Prologue.

Exactly—my point is that the movies don’t really measure height consistently, and they certainly don't factor in that part of the lore. In a way, I guess it’s possible for Isildur and Elendil to be their correct height in that prologue since there’s not a single scene showing them standing directly next to anyone else—any shot with them are when they’re distanced from other soldiers with some angle. I’m not trying to argue or even defend this thread’s figure, and am certainly not super knowledgeable on a large part of the lore regardless of how the movies choose to adapt it in this case, but where did you get that 2.79m Sauron height from your old comment? If even Weta’s measurement is based on a boot prop, it seems like the entire conversation is ambiguous enough to not warrant determining whether any Sauron collectible so far is scaled correctly

I wonder if the reason they went with the height they did was due to body constraints. I'm not sure exactly how tall they are but it could be a basic 1/4 body?

For anyone that has dealt with Gundamit before, how would you say their after care is? If there's an issue with a figure, are they very reasonable to get service from, i.e. replacement parts etc.? Appreciate the feedback.

For anyone that has dealt with Gundamit before, how would you say their after care is? If there's an issue with a figure, are they very reasonable to get service from, i.e. replacement parts etc.? Appreciate the feedback.
Yes. Had a part that was distorted/warped on one non 1/6 figure that I ordered through them. The piece was replaced after a few weeks. They have an entire replacement/QC issue form that you can submit on their website for any problems.

Last edited:
I'm glad they edited out the fight between Sauron and Aragorn, but....

[potentially controversial opinion inbound]

I do wish they kept Sauron in his fair/angelic form appearing before Aragorn and tempting him - it would have both shown Sauron was more than just a "giant eye" as many thought of him until the Hobbit movies, but it also would have emphasized his almost Satanic parallels as a tempting once beautiful but deceitful fallen angel - in the LOTR films all the evil forces look evil, it would have been neat to show the ultimate villain as this beautiful ethereal angelic being of light in contrast to his moniker as "The Dark Lord", it would help illustrate how so many fall to his service or even serve him willingly like the Haradrim and Easterlings.

There might have been some major push back if Sauron appeared in an angelic form. Unless my memory fails me when Numenor falls and his treachery laid bare he is no longer able to appear fair again. Granted most people watching LOTR have probably not read the greater mythology of Middle-Earth so it may make Sauron’s portrayal in the movies more impactful. . .

For me personally, I always took the movies as PJ’s interpretation of LOTR which lets me fully enjoy both the books and the movies without having to get to worked up over what changes he made. For the record it was harder to hold onto that perspective for the Hobbit because so much “interpretation” was done.

There might have been some major push back if Sauron appeared in an angelic form. Unless my memory fails me when Numenor falls and his treachery laid bare he is no longer able to appear fair again. Granted most people watching LOTR have probably not read the greater mythology of Middle-Earth so it may make Sauron’s portrayal in the movies more impactful. . .

For me personally, I always took the movies as PJ’s interpretation of LOTR which lets me fully enjoy both the books and the movies without having to get to worked up over what changes he made. For the record it was harder to hold onto that perspective for the Hobbit because so much “interpretation” was done.

There definitely would have been loud pushback from some of the deep lore book fans. I get why the PJ & Co. considered having him appear for a boss fight with Aragorn, though. It's really tough to have your main villain not appear in the final confrontation. Tolkien really wrote them into a tricky dramaturgical corner. It's super difficult to convey a conflict in a visual medium when one of the combatants is a non-corporeal feeling of doom. But that's adaptation for you. It's not just slavishly filming what the novelist wrote. Choices have to be made and sometimes you make good ones and sometimes you don't.

But yeah, there definitely would have been complaints from parts of the fandom.

Hell, we saw RotK for the first time at the Trilogy Tuesday event and at the end of ... what ... 14 hours of movie, the whole theater is essentially still crying and emotionally spent as Annie Lennox was singing us into the credits ... and this one girl pops up out of her seat to squawk to her friends: "Where was the parlay? I can't believe they didn't do the parlay! You HAVE to do the parlay! This is SUCH ********!"

She was probably an extreme example, but there's always gonna be somebody who's just ticking boxes and can't quite see the forest for the huorns. :lol

Back