Dragon Toy - The Dark Ruler 1/6 Scale

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard this thing costs over $400.
I have Weta`s Sauron and the thing is already what processing concerns top league, I pay double and have 5 times what better than this part.

36974210.jpg
Sauron Statues are a work of art

I also find it a bit...strnage how you cna say as a fact WETA IS WRONG. When they heped to make the movie and costumes of everything. All other facts about his size are just some screenshots and a sentence in the books. Weta also released several 1/6 and 1/4 Sauron Statues all calcualted on that height.
And yeah, lets not forget about the spikes on the helmet.

Personally I would have liked the figure to be smaller as it would blend better with the other chars, but it is not of so much importance to me.

This was the statue I owned for a few years before selling it off. Great one!

I'm also on the fence here, this sauron looks a bit cheap indeed. I want a diecast one lol.
We know that he was 2.79 m (9ft 2 inches) which is 18.3 inches in 1/6 lets assume/say thats without the tallest spikes on the side of the helmet. Those spikes would be 46.8 cm tall, so altogether that means ~3.26 m (10.6955381 feet (10 feet 811⁄32 inches) now that would be in 1/6 about 54 cm (21.4 inches) tall with the tallest spike calculated, this figure is still 5 cm taller.
Now one could say 5 cm/2 inches doesnt matter, I would say go and ask a girl whether that matters or not.

Anyway, anyone is basically 2-3 clicks/google searches away from these numbers. I took it even one step further, I used a measuring-tape to measure the size of the spikes.

And for that I assumed that the size of the spikes are correct here below. And this all assumes that the makers (Infinity Studio) of this 1/1 Bust got the dimensions correctly.

https://www.theonering.net/torwp/wp...-lord-of-the-rings_gallery_62506b0bd4500.jpeg

It is up for interpretation. Tolkien doesn't provide an exact height in the books. Peter Jackson may have wanted to portray him at a 9ft, 2in but WETA scaled him significantly larger in their collectables. I personally appreciate WETA's scale, as that is how I interpreted his size in the beginning of the first film.

As for this figure, I think it falls short (pardon the pun) in areas of detailing and I don't see myself picking it up. If it was closer to WETA's statue, in terms of detailing, it would most likely cost double but it would be worth it.

He looks pretty large in these shots. Perhaps not exactly 12 feet tall but fairly close, at least to me.

Sauron-Battle-Lord-of-the-Rings.jpg

sauron gif.gif

Last edited:
It is up for interpretation. Tolkien doesn't provide an exact height in the books. Peter Jackson may have wanted to portray him at a 9ft, 2in but WETA scaled him significantly larger in their collectables. I personally appreciate WETA's scale, as that is how I interpreted his size in the beginning of the first film.

As for this figure, I think it falls short (pardon the pun) in areas of detailing and I don't see myself picking it up. If it was closer to WETA's statue, in terms of detailing, it would most likely cost double but it would be worth it.

Yeah, if you're looking for absolute scientific certainty, the movies can be pretty slippery. The filmmakers used so many different tricks to scale the characters that things are inconsistent to say the least. From shot to shot you might go from a full CG double, to forced perspective, to somebody just kneeling in a hole!

So I'm all for a "close enough" Sauron. Though two feet tall is probably too big.

I've said before that a modified 1/4 scale true-type body would work very well. That's 18 inches. Add two or three inches of helmet spikes and that seems just about right to me.

I really want a 1/6 Sauron figure, so I'll keep an eye on this big lug. Though I'd much prefer Asmus take a shot at him. (And that chain mail on this guy is way overscaled. Finer chain mail exists.)

He looks pretty large in these shots. Perhaps not exactly 12 feet tall but fairly close, at least to me.

View attachment 658392

View attachment 658393
9' tall fits what I imagined he looked like in the movie, since we don't really get a clear side by side look. Not to mention Tolkein described him as “larger than man-size, but not gigantic.”

The figure being 18" tall would have been the sweet spot for me in figure format. I'm not even sure where the hell I would ever display a 24" Sauron figure. Picture Hulkbuster below (21" tall) but 3" taller next to small ole Bruce there. It seems crazy. :lol

sitynr62kdz41.jpg

I was only talking about the movies, we have no clue from the books apart from not gigantic.
The shots differ from each other lots of times even with hobbits and dwarves. But we know the 9ft 2 for sure. Thats not up to interpretation.
Thats why I added the tallest man pic as that is how it looks in one of the shots with a numenorian soldier and Sauron as well.
Aragorn is 5ft 11 so 1.8m, and clearly Sauron is not 3.6m. See deleted scene pic.
Anyway the figure looks cheap and way too plastic.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    5 KB · Views: 0
I think the proportions appear off on a number of areas but most importantly, the helm size. It is too small. The arms also look really thin, especially wearing armor. The chainmail at the front is way over-scaled, as well.

I do like the height, which is comparable with the SS/Weta statue that I've had for a almost two decades and still really appreciate. Sauron is indeed twice the size of regular elf or man in the film(s). Seems correct to me, especially with Weta being greatly involved in the films.

View attachment 658223

I don't think I need it, though. I've always felt that the above statue was enough and at 1/6th scale, perfect to display with the figures, if I wanted to.

The new Sauron figure obviously allows different poses, which is a key part of our hobby but I would end up posing it just like the statue, anyway.
Thanks for saying everything I feel about this so I don’t have to.

I’m not impressed, but a figure would have to be truly outstanding for me to replace the old Sideshow Weta statue, which is the centrepiece of my LOTR display and this doesn’t even come close- and costs near double what I paid for that statue.

I also skipped on the latest Weta Sauron because, despite the better paint and more detailing, the pose doesn’t compare to the iconic OG piece.

So, all things considered- easy pass.

However, if I didn’t have a Sauron, I’d totally get it, give it a chrome repaint, followed by a heavy black wash, and replace the ridiculously oversized chainmail to end up with something more palatable.

They could have done better though. Even simply upscaling the Diamond Select figure would have produced a better result.

Thanks for saying everything I feel about this so I don’t have to.

I’m not impressed, but a figure would have to be truly outstanding for me to replace the old Sideshow Weta statue, which is the centrepiece of my LOTR display and this doesn’t even come close- and costs near double what I paid for that statue.

I also skipped on the latest Weta Sauron because, despite the better paint and more detailing, the pose doesn’t compare to the iconic OG piece.

So, all things considered- easy pass.

However, if I didn’t have a Sauron, I’d totally get it, give it a chrome repaint, followed by a heavy black wash, and replace the ridiculously oversized chainmail to end up with something more palatable.

They could have done better though. Even simply upscaling the Diamond Select figure would have produced a better result.
My take:

1) Manufacturers don't go to the books, but to the movies.

2) On the movies, at the crucial scene, the guy looks enormous. He's hitting all those guys and sending them to hell. The bare minimum feels like twice the height of a tall guy. Then, the spikes. Figure is about there.

3) Out of scale chainmail looks VERY dramatic, I like it, and if you don't, you can at least fix it. No world-ending event.

4) Head is way too small, as already pointed out. THAT is a really terrible problem, and a no-go to me. That is sad.

5) Price wise, this is not outrageous considering the piece's uniqueness (1/4 body, amount of material/work, not many customers capable of taking this figure) or the supply crisis & price hikes we have been through (or rather cheated into). Also, I beg you guys to not compare current prices w/ prices from beginning of this century (if I understood correctly). If Dragon Toy used plastic..... I am almost glad they did. If properly painted, & considering what the subject matter looks like, plastic should cut it, and for much less cash (on pricing, shipping and taxing).

6) Chopper Face, you seem pretty sure the detailing is lacking, and I am looking at the close-ups and there is indeed a lot of detailing. Could you go into further detail? Are the arms actually that thin?

Thx!

My take:

1) Manufacturers don't go to the books, but to the movies.

2) On the movies, at the crucial scene, the guy looks enormous. He's hitting all those guys and sending them to hell. The bare minimum feels like twice the height of a tall guy. Then, the spikes. Figure is about there.

3) Out of scale chainmail looks VERY dramatic, I like it, and if you don't, you can at least fix it. No world-ending event.

4) Head is way too small, as already pointed out. THAT is a really terrible problem, and a no-go to me. That is sad.

5) Price wise, this is not outrageous considering the piece's uniqueness (1/4 body, amount of material/work, not many customers capable of taking this figure) or the supply crisis & price hikes we have been through (or rather cheated into). Also, I beg you guys to not compare current prices w/ prices from beginning of this century (if I understood correctly). If Dragon Toy used plastic..... I am almost glad they did. If properly painted, & considering what the subject matter looks like, plastic should cut it, and for much less cash (on pricing, shipping and taxing).

6) Chopper Face, you seem pretty sure the detailing is lacking, and I am looking at the close-ups and there is indeed a lot of detailing. Could you go into further detail? Are the arms actually that thin?

Thx!
Good take.

I'm referring to the old Sideshow Weta statue with the 'lack of detailing' comment.
This figure actually surpasses that in terms of surface sculpt details; it's just the body proportions, paint finish, awkward and simplistic implimentation of articulation (wrists, elbows, neck especially,) the angle of the shoulder pauldron spikes, the mace also looks off, and- worst of all- the 1/6 sclae head on a 1/4 scale body.
The price is ctually perfectly reasonable- especially considering that it's inclusive of shipping from Kit, which probably amounts to $90 of the total.

Damn, it's tempting at that price. I put an PO down for now. Only losing $2 worse case scenario. Might get it, try to knock his ankle height down a touch and maybe give him a full metallic repaint. Change the oversized chainmail as well.

Damn, it's tempting at that price. I put an PO down for now. Only losing $2 worse case scenario. Might get it, try to knock his ankle height down a touch and maybe give him a full metallic repaint. Change the oversized chainmail as well.
I did the same thing. At that price it’s worth the few needed customisations.
Also, it’s not even a guaranteed $2 loss in worst case scenario—GDI almost always lets you convert your deposit amount to in-store credit with just a couple clicks. I’ve been using them a ton lately and feel like a total shill lmao, but I’ve been really happy with all of my orders with them and even got my GameToys Zack with them when they shadowdropped it at MSRP when it was OOS everywhere else for months.

God I can’t type today. I’ve edited my posts like 6 times each

Last edited:
Back