Doctor Who - Spoilers!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are trying to serve 2 masters, the agenda and the fans at the same time.

Fans hate the Alphabet agenda....they have tuned out, and I have never seen the ABC's throw money at pop culture merchandise.

It's doomed. Dr. Who will soon be Dr. What's that? No one will really pass it on to their kids or younger generation.
Dr Woke :giggle:

For me it’s 1963 - 1981, I gave up on Davison’s run, but like a battered spouse I occasionally pop back for more!

Oh the irony... Woke BBC called out this episode for being TOO Woke!🤣

Did they not realise that when they got into bed with Disney they'd be getting a double dosage of box ticking and virtue signaling, and all other kinds of wonderful wokery stuff.

Oh the irony... Woke BBC called out this episode for being TOO Woke!🤣

Did they not realise that when they got into bed with Disney they'd be getting a double dosage of box ticking and virtue signaling, and all other kinds of wonderful wokery stuff.
Tbf Disney don't actually have any input on the development on the show, they just have the streaming/distribution rights. It's all Russell T Davies being Russell T Davies.

drwho_re.jpg

I can't begin to express how much I hate the word woke, both grammatically and functionally. The phrase sounds so dull, like an excuse for any further discussion. It's devolved into a descriptor for - absolutely anything- someone doesn't like or agree with which questions the status quo.

Accidentally received rainbow sprinkles on your mcflurry instead of chocolate? It's the woke agenda!11!1!1!!

The second someone throws that word into any conversation I struggle to stay present because I know they are they type of person to get mad at a Starbucks cup. We as a society have to have discourse at a higher level than all-encompasing terms.

That being said (bear with me), I'm not a fan of pandering, I believe it's important to organically show atypical narratives, and I think there's a way to be inclusive without being preachy (see Spider-verse). Sounds like the newest Who missed the mark in some of those regards. Idk, I haven't been on that train since early Capaldi. But Who, even at it's height, has always been supported by alternative viewers. In the US, that was what I would call "the Hot Topic" audience. Generally more progressive, against or tangental to the societal norm. So to see Who come back with...surprise...a strong push using views likely shared by the audience who once supported it at its biggest success...well that doesn't seem so crazy.

People use 'woke' as a blanket term and it's annoying as there's nothing wrong with being woke, the original term, not the hijacked version. I guess it's easier to say than 'in your face pandering to progressives'.

The way to be inclusive is to just have diverse characters exist and be well written. You also don’t need to **** on your CIS characters in order to make your diverse characters seem cool and strong, that’s not inclusivity that’s just reversing the roles when your message is “white man bad, we so good”.

I can't begin to express how much I hate the word woke, both grammatically and functionally. The phrase sounds so dull, like an excuse for any further discussion. It's devolved into a descriptor for - absolutely anything- someone doesn't like or agree with which questions the status quo.

Accidentally received rainbow sprinkles on your mcflurry instead of chocolate? It's the woke agenda!11!1!1!!

The second someone throws that word into any conversation I struggle to stay present because I know they are they type of person to get mad at a Starbucks cup. We as a society have to have discourse at a higher level than all-encompasing terms.

That being said (bear with me), I'm not a fan of pandering, I believe it's important to organically show atypical narratives, and I think there's a way to be inclusive without being preachy (see Spider-verse). Sounds like the newest Who missed the mark in some of those regards. Idk, I haven't been on that train since early Capaldi. But Who, even at it's height, has always been supported by alternative viewers. In the US, that was what I would call "the Hot Topic" audience. Generally more progressive, against or tangental to the societal norm. So to see Who come back with...surprise...a strong push using views likely shared by the audience who once supported it at its biggest success...well that doesn't seem so crazy.
Eh for some viewers it's considered "preachy" just to have a gay character like Bill Potts on the show who's simply existing and living her life. So I don't put much stock in their opinion.

And anyway, for me the latest episode had far more issues than whatever agenda was supposedly being pushed. Like lazy, uninspired storytelling. And damn does it make me miss Steven Moffat even more. I know not everything he did worked, but I still miss how dark and weird and creative his writing was, and how he wasn't afraid to have some fun with the time travel concept. The RTD/Chibnall eras seem so overly simplistic in comparison.

It’s been this way on the stage and opera for years. Not sure why this crosses a line for so many.

Back