Doctor Who - Spoilers!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe if everyone else had been as focused on the job as Eccleston the end product would have been better.

Getting hired to play the title role in a series then finding out he had to play second fiddle to Piper & co for most of the series must have been bad enough but discovering he was working with people who were more concerned with being best buddies off camera than doing the job at hand must've really been the final straw.

He didn't need Who to further his career prospects so he left on his own terms and won't need to come crawling back the way Piper and Tennant inevitably will.

That said I wonder if Eccleston could be tempted back for a multi Doctor story with Smith & maybe McGann now there's a whole new regime in place?

I agree, Chris Eccleston was great and didnt use it to further his career.
i would love him to come back for a multi-doctor episode, even if tis something like for Children in Need like the one with Tennant and Peter Davidson

Last edited:
Saturday cannot come fast enough, apart from the people on here im the only one i know who is more excited to see this than any world cup game, i dont have any mates interested in Who because its so called 'Childish'

im the only one i know who is more excited to see this than any world cup game, i dont have any mates interested in Who because its so called 'Childish'

As opposed to hanging flags everywhere it's possible to hang them in a pathetic display of plastic patriotism, getting drunk and making xenophobic comments about the war and whichever nation happens to be playing England ;)

As for this weeks Who, I really can't be bothered with something which appears to be going the RTD route and trying to make us think it's "epic" by shoehorning as many different things into it as possible, even though the 1000mph format means they'll barely have time to show everything.

Judging by the number of aliens from all eras of the show that River f'ing Song name dropped it's gonna be an even bigger cluster____ than "Journey's End" and their appearance will be rendered utterly pointless as they'll lurk in the background for a few shots before being sucked into the crack when they get zapped with the magic screwdriver in the last 5 minutes.

Ah you ruined the ending! lol i am expecting that style of finale judging by what has went before that but this might be a suprising end to what for me was a inconsistant series, Matt has proven to be a great Doctor but he has had to carry the show when Moffats team fail to produce decent stories consistantly. There are a few episodes il forget about and a few il watch over and over again, Im not going to write this finale and new production team off just yet.

Ah you ruined the ending! lol i am expecting that style of finale judging by what has went before that but this might be a suprising end to what for me was a inconsistant series, Matt has proven to be a great Doctor but he has had to carry the show when Moffats team fail to produce decent stories consistantly. There are a few episodes il forget about and a few il watch over and over again, Im not going to write this finale and new production team off just yet.

How I rate the series so far,

"The 11th Hour" = 5/10
"The Beast Below" = 4/10
"Victory of the Daleks" = 5/10
"The Time of Angels/"Flesh & Stone" = 4/10 ( I would have scored it higher if River Song hadn't been in it. )
"Vampires of Venice" = 4/10
"Amy's Choice" = 9/10
"The Hungry Earth/"Cold Blood" = 2/10
"Vincent & The Doctor" = 9/10
"The Lodger"= -0/10 ( I can't rate it any higher because of Corden's presence. )
"The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang" = Based on previous Nu-Who finales I estimate 3/10 at the most.

Matt Smith as the Doctor = 8 or 9/10
( The best Doctor since Tom Baker, but he hasn't had enough quality material to work with. )

Considering I couldn't rate any of series 3 & 4 higher than 2/10 and totally ignored the specials I think the new regime is definitely doing a better job but the over reliance on story arcs and trying to be "epic" is still a problem, as is the overly rushed pacing.

It's easily my favorite series of Nu-Who since the first but it's still woefully lacking compared to my favorite Classic eras.

Last edited:
As the environment the cast & crew had to work in is largely the responsibility of the producer I guess this is a polite way of saying he couldn't bear working for a twat like RTD any longer :)

RTD was part of the crew. Eccleston had worked with him before, and often cited his stewardship of the relaunch as a major reason why he signed on. Personally I don't think he wanted to be in Cardiff for another year, and the BBC's refusal to shift production to London is probably what killed it for him.

RTD was part of the crew. Eccleston had worked with him before, and often cited his stewardship of the relaunch as a major reason why he signed on. Personally I don't think he wanted to be in Cardiff for another year, and the BBC's refusal to shift production to London is probably what killed it for him.

Unless he choses to elaborate further it's one of those things we'l never know for sure :dunno

Unless he choses to elaborate further it's one of those things we'l never know for sure

Yep. We might never know the real reason, but I think we can safely conclude it wasn't RTD considering their history and Eccleston's other comments. Don't let your dislike for the man get in the way. :)

Yep. We might never know the real reason, but I think we can safely conclude it wasn't RTD considering their history and Eccleston's other comments. Don't let your dislike for the man get in the way. :)

Me dislike RTD? Where'd you get that idea from? :lol

I actually rate RTD highly, I think he did a magnificent job bringing back essentially a dead franchise and making it hugely popular again. It does help somewhat for me not being a fan or really aware of Who before the revival, i dont have the memorys of what the show used to be but rather what it is now and there are times i prefer todays series over the classic serials. I do think RTD made a mistake with the epic finales because by the time series 3 ended he had kindof used all his cards and ended up ruining great tied up character story lines by bringing everyone back again in series 4 for cheap ratings.

I could see a series just kind of ending without a huge build up to some epic finale. I hope the Pandorica is just that, everything goes to crap but the Doctor had a plan all along and all the monsters stay hanging around and causing problems. Part of why I liked VotDaleks so much is because the Doctor had to let them go. Either way, we begin to find out tomorrow.

I actually rate RTD highly, I think he did a magnificent job bringing back essentially a dead franchise and making it hugely popular again. It does help somewhat for me not being a fan or really aware of Who before the revival, i dont have the memorys of what the show used to be but rather what it is now and there are times i prefer todays series over the classic serials. I do think RTD made a mistake with the epic finales because by the time series 3 ended he had kindof used all his cards and ended up ruining great tied up character story lines by bringing everyone back again in series 4 for cheap ratings.

Though I was always aware of the show I never watched it until the revival and I enjoyed much of the first couple of series. Then Catherine Tate bellowed her way into the Whoniverse in the 2006 Christmas Special and things gradually declined from there.

Last edited:
So I'm new to Doctor Who. I just saw my first episode today and while I didn't understand a lot of stuff, I REALLY enjoyed the episode.

It starred the "old" Doctor Who. (The one in the sig. above this post.^^^^)

I know the show, Doctor Who, has been around for ages, and apparently they replace each Doctor???? I don't know, but my question is: For a beginner like me, where do I begin???? With as many seasons as there has been, where do you start??? Does each season start from "scratch?"

So I'm new to Doctor Who. I just saw my first episode today and while I didn't understand a lot of stuff, I REALLY enjoyed the episode.

It starred the "old" Doctor Who. (The one in the sig. above this post.^^^^)

I know the show, Doctor Who, has been around for ages, and apparently they replace each Doctor???? I don't know, but my question is: For a beginner like me, where do I begin???? With as many seasons as there has been, where do you start??? Does each season start from "scratch?"

The show originally ran from 1963-89 and returned in 2005.

So far there have been 11 incarnations of the Doctor, he regenerates instead of dying, his appearance and personality change but it is meant to be the same character and continuity.

Where to start is a tricky one. Some options,

"An Unearthly Child" ( first ever story from 1963. )

"Spearhead from Space" ( first ever color story and debut of Jon Pertwee as the 3rd Doctor. )

"Robot" ( Beginning of what is more often than not considered the best era, that of Tom Baker's 4th Doctor. )

"The 11th Hour" ( Where the modern show really starts IMO )

The show originally ran from 1963-89 and returned in 2005.

So far there have been 11 incarnations of the Doctor, he regenerates instead of dying, his appearance and personality change but it is meant to be the same character and continuity.

Where to start is a tricky one. Some options,

"An Unearthly Child" ( first ever story from 1963. )

"Spearhead from Space" ( first ever color story and debut of Jon Pertwee as the 3rd Doctor. )

"Robot" ( Beginning of what is more often than not considered the best era, that of Tom Baker's 4th Doctor. )

"The 11th Hour" ( Where the modern show really starts IMO )

I think "The 11th Hour" sounds like my best bet then. Is that starring the guy who played the Doctor in your sig. or no? I just watching a few more episodes with that guy and WOW, that guy is awesome. This show is really good. (There's a marathon on SyFy that just ended.) This show is right up my alley I think.

I think "The 11th Hour" sounds like my best bet then. Is that starring the guy who played the Doctor in your sig. or no? I just watching a few more episodes with that guy and WOW, that guy is awesome. This show is really good. (There's a marathon on SyFy that just ended.) This show is right up my alley I think.

No, that is the first episode since the guy in my sig left, which coincidentally was when I started watching the modern show again because I stopped for reasons which should be obvious by the nature of my avatar & sig :)

If you like him then more power to you and I hope you have fun catching up on his era :)

Back