Display cases info

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice frasic! Im gonna have to eventually get something like that so I can space out some of my smaller figures. I put mine in a bookshelf for now and velcroed an acrylic sheet over them. It looks pretty good but annoying to access. :thud:

Is there any changes that need to be made of the shelves or you can just buy the IKEA shelves for this does the piece that holds the shelves in place in the whole need to be changed to something sturdier or will it hold the weight

made a guide for my pax display a while back on sf, it was the best display cabinet i could find for 1/4 and larger statues after wasting god knows how much money buying all sorts other furnitures that could barely fit a few statues.

Pasted below, hopefully can help you. I am looking to get another as this already got filled to the max now.

------------------

The best display is ikea's PAX, NOTHING comes close in term of flexibility, price, & space. It's also the ONLY display under $2000 that has a real 22" shelf depth (vs 17" max for all the others). It let you display statues the way you want (ie the avenger team stack), and the only display that will fit the optimus prime statue. It also has dust resistant sliding doors like the highend curios as oppose to besta open doors. Lastly it comes with 93+" height option, which will allow 31"+ per shelf height, that will fit most if not all CM and lsf statues as well.

I am currently building one using custom non-glare 99% uv-resistent acrylic panels designed for museum display, will post some details/photo once done in a week or two.

Should have gone this route long time ago, instead of wasting thousands of dollars buying those giant grandma's curio with little depth that can barely fit anything but takes up sooo much space.

Finally got around to take some photos, see the finished PAX. A few notes:

1) In the comparison photo, see the pax DWARFS the $1300 Macy's curio(which is a huge piece already, i use it as a dedicated lotr display now), and this is the smaller PAX...

2) Note how with the extra shelf depth i am able to display the riders facing front or to stack the conan/barbarian/leonidas, all are giant pieces which would taken significantly more precious shelf width in a regular 15" depth shelf. And it's the only shelf that fits optimus perfectly.

3) See next post for a quick guide to build your own as I did the research already, hopefully someone can benefit from it.

pax1.jpg

pax3.jpg

----------------

How to build your PAX (see previous post for photos)

1) Select the correct PAX base (link: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S79894902/#/S19894900 ).

Use the drop down to select your width/height, you have 4 options: 59"x25"x79", 59"x25"x93", 78"x25"x79, 78"x25"x93". Do NOT select other options, as the internal shelf will be inappropriate, if you need even wider ones, buy 2x. And select your wood color.

2) Select the shelf (link: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30215122/ )

You need at least 3 pack (for 6 shelves), select the correct width/color. Dont use the glass shelves, they too risky.

3) Select the lighting(optional): (link: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50163848/ )

The best lighting for statue display are evenly distributed soft light in the 2000k to 5000k range, basically you shouldnt notice it's on. The WORST kind are those uneven glaring halogen spotlights used in most glass curios that destroy your statue aesthetic, they are great for glass plates & swaroski not giant polystone statues. Also LED is much preferred over the rest as it doesnt get hot and long lasting, having an oven above your statue for years is never a good thing.

That said, the ikea led strips linked are excellent, they are designed for PAX and fits across the entire shelf perfectly for even light distribution. Only downside is it's expensive at $35 per shelf. If you do decide to use the ikea led, you also need the wires that are not included, for 6x led strip, you need

-5x connector: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40119926/
-
1x powercord: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30121411/

4) Order your custom display panels. (link: https://www.professionalplastics.com/PLEXIGLASS-ACRYLICSHEET-EXTRUDED )

Wait until you receive your PAX, then take out 1 of its non-clear glass panel, measure the width/length/depth precisely. Then goto any one of the websites to order 6x clear acrylic panel of the exact same dimension (go with <0.062 tolerance which is the standard). I use professionalplastics.com, also checkout ebay or local stores. Dont get fancy, use standard clear acrylic or lexan.

Note: you can also use glass panels, however they are 2x as expensive due to shipping, weight twice as much, and less clear. The yellowing/scratch issue of acrylics are way overblown, i have kept acrylic fish tanks my whole life, never had any issues (and those have 300+ watts of simulated sunlight blasting at it 11 hrs a day).

5) Install your PAX!

Follow the instructions, make sure it's secured to the wall! Dont try to win the darwin award for getting crushed by your own display shelf, those things are very tall and ikea quality..

Here's a video that i found very helpful with installing the sliding doors. Link: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUut6I6zNqI[/ame]

6) POST YOUR PICTURES! :)

NOTE: total cost for my pax 59"x25"x93" is ~$800

So just a question to hold the shelves I’m getting the komplement hanger which is going to be underneath the shelf??

I’m getting 2 underneath each shelf screwed in .Because they see these shelves only hold 24 pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can anyone recommend some good wall mounted displays for 1/6 scale figures? UK based would be preferred...

4r9fuz1.jpg

Hello, some more guidance building the PAX, be aware mine is not the tallest one (200x58x201 cm). All credit to the folks contributing on this thread https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/fo...play-info.html

I planned my statue arrangements on Excel, to maximize space utilization and avoid wasting any space, try to have 2 or 3 cm (1 inch) minimum clearance to the top shelf to allow moving the statue and make things look better. I like planning and I think it’s just part of the fun, when you are planning you are already building your closet! Obviously, nothing compares to having the closet assembled to be sure where each statue goes but having an idea of location avoids moving them too much - they break easily! I assembled, wired, etc on about 2 days, closing the holes with Variera takes a long time, your fingers will hurt, but it all looks so much better once done. Then there is the wait for the acrylic to be cut, here it took 4 days. The Ikea stuff costed me about 800 USD.

It's pretty cool to have Alexa controlling the lights, I say Alexa turn on the lights, some folks may prefer a timer, other a light switch, etc. The Amazon echo dot costed me 40 USD and a Wifi Smart Plug ( CrazyLynX Mini Smart Socket ) 12 USD. On my installation I made some additional wiring to allow to Alexa controlling also when the statues turn on. Not something critical to the folks collecting mainly Weta because they don’t have electronics.

I bought my acrylic sheets at Acme Plastics, https://www.acmeplastics.com/, because I could drive there 1h away and avoid paying for shipping, I paid 385 USD for both sheets just for your reference. The correct approach is to assemble the door and measure prior to ordering the acrylic. If you follow my measurements you are taking the risk it won’t fit there in event Ikea changed their product, etc.

Acrylic shopping (check correct size before ordering!)

Cut-to-Size Clear Acrylic Sheet - Cast
Thickness: 3/16" (You cannot go thicker than this)
Length: 76.688 (inches)
Width: 39.375 (inches)
(go with <0.062 tolerance which is the standard)

The Ikea shopping list:

PAX
Pair of sliding door frames & rail
white, 78 3/4x79 1/8 " / 200x201 cm
Article Number: 002.502.68

PAX
2 wardrobe frames
white, 78 5/8x22 7/8x79 1/4 " / 200x58x201 cm
Article Number: 598.952.57

KOMPLEMENT
Shelf
white, 39 3/8x22 7/8 " / 100x58 cm
Article Number: 702.779.57

NORRFLY LED light strip
aluminum color, 36 " / 92 cm
Article Number: 803.323.07

"ANSLUTA" https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50288339/
Electronic transformer
white, 30 W / 30 W
Article Number: 502.883.39

"ANSLUTA" https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/p...ery=301.214.11
Power supply cord
Article Number: 301.214.11

VARIERA
Cover plate (to give a nice finish closing the little annying holes)
white
Article Number: 002.263.15

KOMPLEMENT
Pull-out clothes rail (to be installed underneath each shelf and reinforce)
white, 39 3/8x13 3/4 " / 100x35 cm
Article Number: 202.569.00

BETYDLIG
Wall/ceiling bracket (I just bought this to install my black arrow on top of my PAX, you probably dont need this)
white
Article Number: 302.198.89

Enjoy, share.

Thinking about making a similar display but I was wondering, these single sheet doors, are they no longer produced or is this a 4 section door that has been modified?:)

Its a 4 section door. All you have to do is not put the sections in. Tricky part is getting a full sheet of acrylic cut to size. If I had it all to do over again I’d probably get one of those heavy duty garage shelving units and just build a custom frame around it. Probably be way cheaper too.

Anyone have a recommendation for something clean/stylish to display Thranduil on Elk. Right now, I have very limited space, can't decide which route to go. I was thinking of maybe having like a glass case on a stand or something for single statue, not sure how much those cost.

Hey freaks, I just strengthened the upper shelf on the Stuva cabinets.

There are many different ways that I have seen for strengthening using different types of brackets, supports, etc.
(this is my favorite way of doing it - very strong and fairly inconspicuous).

I thought I would share here, so anyone who is displaying heavy pieces can see this as an option to make everything safe.
(Ninja does not sleep very well if he is scared of shelfs breaking, etc, :) )

cabinet.jpg

cabinet2.jpg

cabinet3.jpg

All painted to match cabinet color.

cabinet4.jpg

cabinet5.jpg

cabinet6.jpg

Changed some things around and I now have 60" of wall space (up from 24) with about 28" depth until there's a desk.
Mostly going to be displaying Hot Toys, maybe a few statues and helmets...

Considering Bestas or Billys maybe - though I wish there was something with less door frames. Would a 59" pax work with sliding doors? Is that doable on the 72" high pax? How big of a beast would that be to tackle/expensive?

I think I'd also be looking for something I would have the option of transporting eventually since I may move in the next 5 years or so.

Hi guys,

I also want a pax system for my bigger statues. I really like the idea of adding support and some of my statues just don't fit in Besta's.
However, I live in the Netherlands and making fully custom doors is a lot more expensive than in the USA.

What would a simple solution be to have acrylic doors for a pax closet? Investigated for a few weeks but my lack of creativity and craftmanship made me unable to solve the door issue I have ;p

Thanks in advance!

the sliding doors from my post on previous page? There is no need for creativity.

Sorry if this thread is dead. I’m considering buying a PAX for displaying video game statues and figures. My only issue is the sliding glass door. I have a local glass company that cuts plexiglass to order and for a reasonable price. My concern is that the glass is extruded and not cell cast. I have some left over plexiglass shelves from the same company, but they have a lot of scratches. Should I go with the local company or try to order them online? Thanks in advance!

Sorry if this thread is dead. I’m considering buying a PAX for displaying video game statues and figures. My only issue is the sliding glass door. I have a local glass company that cuts plexiglass to order and for a reasonable price. My concern is that the glass is extruded and not cell cast. I have some left over plexiglass shelves from the same company, but they have a lot of scratches. Should I go with the local company or try to order them online? Thanks in advance!

Ordered mine with free shipping from home depot. I think at the time they were charging $90 for a 1/8” 4’x8’ sheet. First piece was broken so the return was super easy just dropping it off at the store.

That's a great idea Samurai, but if I'm not mistaking, the plexiglass at the Home Depot is extruded. I remember one of the posters, gagaliya, said to use cell cast acrylic. I'm concerned that regular plexiglass will bow too much in the sliding door frames or be completely scratched when I buy them. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but want my displays to be the best they can be, you know?

I got them at a local acrylic shop and they recommended extruded when I described what they were for. No issues with bowing or scratches and they still look great. Make sure to pick up an acrylic cleaner as other stuff can be too abrasive and can damage acrylic.

I appreciate the help everyone! I'll have to go with extruded acrylic because shipping is way too expensive for cast cell. My next decision is whether to buy from the local glass store or Home Depot.

Ordered mine with free shipping from home depot. I think at the time they were charging $90 for a 1/8” 4’x8’ sheet. First piece was broken so the return was super easy just dropping it off at the store.

Did you cut it yourself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back