Dean Cain as Superman?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Did you enjoy Dean Cains portrayal of Superman?

• Yes

Votes: 97 59.9%
  • No

Votes: 65 40.1%

• Total voters
GEEZ, this crowd is young...

To hear, "he's my into to Superman...," or "I grew watching as a kid...," just boggles me.

Yes, we are surrounded by children. MY intro to Superman was GEORGE reeves, and the Aurora kit...PS

I enjoyed the show, but to me, I think that saying that Dean Cain is people's Superman based on the era they grew up in is variable. I was born in the 90's and as a 5 year old, I'd watch Lois and Clark reruns, and I've watched Smallville from season 1 to season 10, but Christopher Reeve is my Superman. Ever since my 5 year old self watched those videos that my mom had bought me for Christmas, I always saw Reeve as Superman, moreso once I grew older and discovered all of the good he had done in real life.

Great post. Glad to see he's had a positive effect on the younger generation as well.

Yes, we are surrounded by children. MY intro to Superman was GEORGE reeves, and the Aurora kit...PS

Children? Really? Didnt know you were still considered a child when you're in your 20s :lol

Great post. Glad to see he's had a positive effect on the younger generation as well.

He really has. I remember the first time I saw him in his post accident state and was really amazed to learn of all the good he had been doing. Definitely was/is a truly great man!

long before christophers reeves and george reeves.
the first person ever to wear the superman costume was ray middleton..then came kirk alyn. give these guys there due...

Last edited:
While I didn't wholly agree with his post, if said freaks are young enough to be your children.... :huh :lol

:lol

Very true. And I know some ofthe younger freaks on here can act like children too but it seemed like it was something of a problem of younger ppl being apart of this board like "them darn kids! Get off my lawn!!" :lol

what baffles me is not about dean cain and the superman's.. but brandon routh was signed too do 2 more superman's with bryan singer.. did they just pay him off and dismiss it or will this get explained...warner brothers rights to superman are expiring and you might see marvel pick him up..but growing up christopher reeves was the superman i knew and then i learned alot from a guy from local flea market who gave me crash course in the history of superman..

Warners license with Superman would of expired if the didn't sign to make a another superman movie by 2012. Not that the movie had to made by then but production had to at least be started by 2012. At least that's what I remember/ gathered from all the articles that came out.

Last edited:
And Superman is the public persona. Same thing. How can you separate "Clark Kent" from Kal-El but not separate "Superman"!?

p.s. I'm not even remotely a Superman fan. :lol

He isnt hiding who he truely is as Superman. Hes hiding behind his Clark Kent persona. He didnt "create" Superman. Thats who he is by default. How are you not getting this?:dunno

Honestly the whole Kal-El/Superman/Clark Kent angle is up for interpretation. Each major undertaking of the character has changed how it looks even in mention. A lot of people quote the Kill Bill speech which is definitely a view not routinely taken by the WB/DC properties.

The way I personally saw it is: Superman and Clark Kent are both alias. Clark is who he wants to be, throughout most of the character's history, he longed to be human, to be apart of our society. Superman is who he chooses to be, the embodiment of the years spent with the Kents and the values instilled into him and the mission his father Jor-El sent him on. He wants to be Clark but he has to hide what he is. He chooses to be Superman where he gets to freely express how he is but doesn't want the spotlight. Honestly a lot of writers give the impression that Superman would rather be married with kids on a farm in Smallville detached from the hustle and bussle but of course he could never have that life because of what he is.

I look at it as if there are 4 different parts of his personality. There is Kal-El, the Kryptonian. There is Superman, the heroic alter ego, and I believe that there are two Clark Kents. There is the wholesome, virtuous farm boy (his true self), and then there is Clark Kent, the mild-mannered bumbling facade.

Honestly the whole Kal-El/Superman/Clark Kent angle is up for interpretation. Each major undertaking of the character has changed how it looks even in mention. A lot of people quote the Kill Bill speech which is definitely a view not routinely taken by the WB/DC properties.

The way I personally saw it is: Superman and Clark Kent are both alias. Clark is who he wants to be, throughout most of the character's history, he longed to be human, to be apart of our society. Superman is who he chooses to be, the embodiment of the years spent with the Kents and the values instilled into him and the mission his father Jor-El sent him on. He wants to be Clark but he has to hide what he is. He chooses to be Superman where he gets to freely express how he is but doesn't want the spotlight. Honestly a lot of writers give the impression that Superman would rather be married with kids on a farm in Smallville detached from the hustle and bussle but of course he could never have that life because of what he is.

I was just going to post the Kill Bill quote. Which I agree with. Superman IS Kal-El without a disquise. Kent is his secret identity. Thats the way I see it. "Superman" is just another alias for Kal-El. Kal-El's earth name is "Superman" or better way of saying this, is the Name Eath/Humans gave Kal-El is "Superman". "Clark Kent" is nother more than a costume.

Now, a staple of the superhero mythology is, there's the superhero and there's the alter ego. Batman is actually Bruce Wayne, Spider-Man is actually Peter Parker. When that character wakes up in the morning, he's Peter Parker. He has to put on a costume to become Spider-Man. And it is in that characteristic Superman stands alone. Superman didn't become Superman. Superman was born Superman. When Superman wakes up in the morning, he's Superman. His alter ego is Clark Kent. His outfit with the big red "S", that's the blanket he was wrapped in as a baby when the Kents found him. Those are his clothes. What Kent wears - the glasses, the business suit - that's the costume. That's the costume Superman wears to blend in with us.

Kal-El isn't Superman, and he's also not Clark Kent.

Superman is a costumed persona Kae-El created here on Earth after realizing the powers he inherited by being on our planet. Clark Kent is the alias he took after being raised by the Kents.

But in reality, he's neither. Because if he had grown up on his own planet he would've been a normal, average dude like every other person on Krypton. He wouldn't have been flying around, leaping buildings and saving everybody and their momma's.

If anything, Clark Kent is closer to what Kal-El is really like than Superman.

Kal-El isn't Superman, and he's also not Clark Kent.

Superman is a costumed persona Kae-El created here on Earth after realizing the powers he inherited by being on our planet. Clark Kent is the alias he took after being raised by the Kents.

But in reality, he's neither. Because if he had grown up on his own planet he would've been a normal, average dude like every other person on Krypton. He wouldn't have been flying around, leaping buildings and saving everybody and their momma's.

If anything, Clark Kent is closer to what Kal-El is really like than Superman.

I guess this is where we agree to disagree. ;)

Back