Dean Cain as Superman?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Did you enjoy Dean Cains portrayal of Superman?

• Yes

Votes: 97 59.9%
  • No

Votes: 65 40.1%

• Total voters
I liked Dean Cain's portrayal as Superman on Lois & Clark. I enjoyed the show too. I watched all four seasons of it, and I have season 1 on DVD now. I'd like to get the other 3 seasons. I voted "yes" for him. I am planning on getting a 1/6 scale Dean Cain Superman from Moe on the board here once it's ready to go. :wave

In spite of being wrong for the role in many ways and having to deal with some utter rubbish he turned in a surprisingly likeable performance. Didn't really care for his Superman but liked his Clark.

I watched it all because it was Superman but overall it was real dross produced by people who didn't understand Superman for people who didn't understand Superman.

I know this thread is abou Dean Cain as Superman, but after recently rewatching from season one, would y'all also agree that Jimmy looks too "ethnic" as some have put it, to play someone who is typically pale, freckled and red haired in the comics? I mean this in a non racist or discriminatory way, after all, I am hispanic :lol it just never occurred to me before until regarding Jimmy. Bu I love the series even now and woulnt change the cast, except for that office lady who was butt ugly though she thought she was the hottest thing in the news room :slap :lol

I grew up in the 80's with Christopher Reeve being SUPERMAN (and forever always will be in my eye), but my fiance is 5 years younger than I and she grew up watching the Adventures of Lois and Clark and she sees Dean Cain as the "real Superman" so we have funny little arguements over who really is SUPERMAN! After showing her the HT Superman pics shes like "That looks nothing like Dean Cain":lol:lol:lol

Shes crazy. :cuckoo:

EDIT: Seriously though, she knew it wasnt supposed to be Dean Cain, but to her thats who Superman is.

Last edited:
To me Dean Cain will forever and always be Superman. I'm partially biased as he was the first Superman i ever saw fly through the skies. I remember coming home from church on Sunday nights and watching Lois and Clark with my dad. It was the one thing I looked forward to during the week. I would grab my Kenner Superman figure and sit as I watched Clark get closer to Lois, a new villain of the week that would take on the Man of Steel and of course Perry giving out advice with stories of Elvis tied in. To me the show was all about character. It developed the characters of Superman better than any other live action showing of Superman in my opinion. Which on a side note, the comics could learn a thing or two from this show on that issue, but I'll save tha rant for another time.
I respect what Christopher Reeve did for the character and to a generation, he is their Superman. Just as Tom Welling and George Reeves is for their generations. But I will watch this series till the day I die as Dean is my Superman. Now I'll admit it wasn't perfect (Lois getting amnesia, the clone ect.) but same things were in my book (the characterization of Clark, the Kents p, Lois, Lex the New Krypton saga and of course Tempus, duh). But in the I can sum up the series with this quote from Clark, "Clark is who I am, Superman is what I can do." And it was that philosophy that made Dean and the show special to a lot of fans.

To me Dean Cain will forever and always be Superman. I'm partially biased as he was the first Superman i ever saw fly through the skies. I remember coming home from church on Sunday nights and watching Lois and Clark with my dad. It was the one thing I looked forward to during the week. I would grab my Kenner Superman figure and sit as I watched Clark get closer to Lois, a new villain of the week that would take on the Man of Steel and of course Perry giving out advice with stories of Elvis tied in. To me the show was all about character. It developed the characters of Superman better than any other live action showing of Superman in my opinion. Which on a side note, the comics could learn a thing or two from this show on that issue, but I'll save tha rant for another time.
I respect what Christopher Reeve did for the character and to a generation, he is their Superman. Just as Tom Welling and George Reeves is for their generations. But I will watch this series till the day I die as Dean is my Superman. Now I'll admit it wasn't perfect (Lois getting amnesia, the clone ect.) but same things were in my book (the characterization of Clark, the Kents p, Lois, Lex the New Krypton saga and of course Tempus, duh). But in the I can sum up the series with this quote from Clark, "Clark is who I am, Superman is what I can do." And it was that philosophy that made Dean and the show special to a lot of fans.

That quote is bass ackwards to me. :lol

whole heartedly agree with this, except for the bit of Dean Cain being my superman. But I really loved this show. And I too think the quote at the end sums up the show pretty well. He was a perfect Clark Kent, but an ok Superman

Dean Cain, oh so many memories.

It was literally my most famous show when I was a kid. I remember waiting all day just for the next episode to start.

Dean Cains portrayal of Superman was really really good, especially the Clark part. I love Reeve Superman as well though.:wink1:

I'm a few episodes into re-watching season 1, and I must say it's still very entertaining. I like the way they portrayed his Superman as being slightly neurotic, I hadn't remembered that at all.

Truth is I never saw it, but one look a the picture posted in the HT Superman thread and I am grateful that I never did.
To me it looks terrible.

Cain played a Clark Kent somewhat uncomfortable with the Superman identity, an interesting twist. Clark was cooler than most portrayals. Like Smallville I look at it as an elseworld's story. George Reeves was the closest true to comics Superman ever on TV.

I enjoyed the show, but to me, I think that saying that Dean Cain is people's Superman based on the era they grew up in is variable. I was born in the 90's and as a 5 year old, I'd watch Lois and Clark reruns, and I've watched Smallville from season 1 to season 10, but Christopher Reeve is my Superman. Ever since my 5 year old self watched those videos that my mom had bought me for Christmas, I always saw Reeve as Superman, moreso once I grew older and discovered all of the good he had done in real life.

And Superman is the public persona. Same thing. How can you separate "Clark Kent" from Kal-El but not separate "Superman"!?

p.s. I'm not even remotely a Superman fan. :lol

Back