Dark Toys 1/6 Rick Deckard

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine is finally arrived -

The head sculpt certainly looks better than the old one! It does has some kind of softness on the skin but I can see young Harrison in it.
(Have you ever retired a human by mistake? )

IMG_5288.jpg

Latest mods. Found a second hand t-shirt and used its ribbed collar to get the ridges on Deckard’s coat collar more screen accurate (thanks to @p3ss3ssod for the idea). The glue job’s a little sloppy and the edges are rough but I’ll write it off as wear and tear and battle damage lol. Loving how it looks now. Also took the button off his right chest pocket and glued it back on without reattaching the strap and letting it flop for a more lived-in, open pocket look.
Bad news is I lost the belt! Guess I’ll have to make another :(

3589AC2C-BD9D-4C43-937B-39F1B5A54E39.jpeg
3A654727-0843-4038-9C88-C936D02338ED.jpeg
84F4DD58-D17D-4BFB-BD83-5C6CFC27F0F6.jpeg

Last edited:
Latest mods. Found a second hand t-shirt and used its ribbed collar to get the ridges on Deckard’s coat collar more screen accurate (thanks to @p3ss3ssod for the idea). The glue job’s a little sloppy and the edges are rough but I’ll write it off as wear and tear and battle damage lol. Loving how it looks now. Also took the button off his right chest pocket and glued it back on without reattaching the strap and letting it flop for a more lived-in, open pocket look.

View attachment 568714

Nicely done. :)

View attachment 568761View attachment 568760View attachment 568762
change body or shortened the neck? it looks normal in your photos.

That's what I was planning. I don't think I need to swap the body.
The body swap definitely helps the neck sit a little lower, but just padding the shoulders up should do the trick. I also just didn’t like the body it came with. It’s serviceable but feels pretty cheap and breakable so I upgraded it for my own peace of mind because I pose my figures dynamically quite a bit.

Yeah, a better body is always good. The one that comes with Deckard looks to me very much like the $20 knock-offs I have laying around, so I'm not sure I have a handy body that will improve my Deckard beyond what's supplied. But I won't know until I get to rebuilding him.

Gang

Congrats to all on getting a very serviceable Deckard. I think the only must do mod is add a leg extender as Deckard out of the box is a bit short

I was going to post on here when it happened, but was too crestfallen and didn't want to post until there was a positive result. Soon after my last post I was photographing Deckard outside under some natural light, and in my sheer idiocy he fell over, landing face first on concrete, chipping his cheek and nose. I tried doing some repairs and wound up getting more frustrated and ended up stripping the whole head back to plastic and started again. Yes, this sounds like a cry for help I know, but every repaint has taught me valuable lessons. This one was about ensuring the figure can't fall over before shooting...

Another, of which, is that I'm not at factory-level for eyes. So no matter how good I got that one up with the skin tones the eyes let it down constantly. I'm going to keep at it though, I'm sure I'm close to getting them right but it's one of those things that 90% accurate is still a failure. My last option (save buying another head off ebay..) was to paint the other head up. With all the techniques I've learned over the last couple of months I kept the eyes masked and painted up the rest. One afternoon's work later it's done. I've finally got a technique now as a recipe for skintone layers at this scale I'm happy with. I still need to work on my eyes.. which I will do on the other head that is now destined to be my Raider Jones head, if the factory one's not up to scratch when it comes out.

I've a bunch of replacement hands coming soon which will be the near-last piece of this project. I'd really like someone to do a smaller scaled origami unicorn as the one the comes with him is way too big. There's a few other tweaks I'll do and then do a proper shoot with the new hands.

The journey's end is close. I'm happy with how far I've travelled and learned a bunch of new techniques with this project that I look forward to using again, but am much happier to be able to move on to a new project and enjoy having the best Deckard toy my budget and skills allow for.

P3300480.JPG

Close up

P3300482.JPG

Last edited:
I was going to post on here when it happened, but was too crestfallen and didn't want to post until there was a positive result. Soon after my last post I was photographing Deckard outside under some natural light, and in my sheer idiocy he fell over, landing face first on concrete, chipping his cheek and nose. I tried doing some repairs and wound up getting more frustrated and ended up stripping the whole head back to plastic and started again. Yes, this sounds like a cry for help I know, but every repaint has taught me valuable lessons. This one was about ensuring the figure can't fall over before shooting...

Another, of which, is that I'm not at factory-level for eyes. So no matter how good I got that one up with the skin tones the eyes let it down constantly. I'm going to keep at it though, I'm sure I'm close to getting them right but it's one of those things that 90% accurate is still a failure. My last option (save buying another head off ebay..) was to paint the other head up. With all the techniques I've learned over the last couple of months I kept the eyes masked and painted up the rest. One afternoon's work later it's done. I've finally got a technique now as a recipe for skintone layers at this scale I'm happy with. I still need to work on my eyes.. which I will do on the other head that is now destined to be my Raider Jones head, if the factory one's not up to scratch when it comes out.

I've a bunch of replacement hands coming soon which will be the near-last piece of this project. I'd really like someone to do a smaller scaled origami unicorn as the one the comes with him is way too big. There's a few other tweaks I'll do and then do a proper shoot with the new hands.

The journey's end is close. I'm happy with how far I've travelled and learned a bunch of new techniques with this project that I look forward to using again, but am much happier to be able to move on to a new project and enjoy having the best Deckard toy my budget and skills allow for.

View attachment 569463

Flash on close up

View attachment 569465

What a nightmare to have happened after all the work you put into him. :cry:

At least the experience didn't dishearten so much that you gave up, but encouraged you to strive even harder instead.

Your paintwork is amazing! :)

What a nightmare to have happened after all the work you put into him. :cry:

At least the experience didn't dishearten so much that you gave up, but encouraged you to strive even harder instead.

Your paintwork is amazing! :)
Thanks, Asta! I doubted my skills many, many times during this paint job.
I'm 50 this year and I think it's good to be humbled by a project every so often that shows you just how much more you've got learn.

I replaced the second image with a less harshly lit one, it showed off the paint but hurt the sculpt, this one's much more accurate.

Thanks, Asta! I doubted my skills many, many times during this paint job.
I'm 50 this year and I think it's good to be humbled by a project every so often that shows you just how much more you've got learn.

I replaced the second image with a less harshly lit one, it showed off the paint but hurt the sculpt, this one's much more accurate.
I have to say that I like this paint job even better.

As far as the eyes go, the figure companies use decals, if not mistaken. Your eye work looks great as is.

Mine arrived and i'm pleasantly surprised :)

As others have said the head sculpts are a lttle soft, and the paint apps are a tad flat, but under the right lighting they can look pretty great and the likeness to Ford is definitly there. HT need to get the original sculpturer on board.

Quick pose-up straight out of the box...

DSC_0017.JPG
DSC_0010.JPG
DSC_0313.JPG
DSC_0315.JPG
DSC_0302.JPG

Back