Daredevil (2003)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember being disappointed by it since I had read some good things about it and ended up blind buying the DVD. I thought Affleck was okay, but didn’t like little bits of cockiness he put into the character. I think I remember him saying some cocky, “how you doin’” to one of the bad guys. I thought the whole kid origin flashback was pretty bad. But what I HATED most was MCD (R.I.P.) as Kingpin. I just thought he played the character completely wrong, which was a damn shame because I thought his casting was pretty good.

Yes. In the scene they used to establish who DD is and how he operates, he just kills a guy. Seeing it at the theater, I was really put off by it. . .I can now see this is a running theme with my posts, having just been in the muck and mire of the Superman/Batman thread discussing such things :lol

Wasn't that part of the evolution of his character??? It was the last time he killed anyone I think... Not defending the kill in the first place just saying at least he morphed into his no kill rule self.

The bar fight was awesome

Yes it was. R rated cut was even better. Having said that the rest of the film is pretty bad. Too much goofy Wire work and bad CGI.

8/10, will watch again... and again... and again...

:monkey3
:lecture

I'm a fan as well. It's not top tier cinema, but it's a cool movie nonethelss. Sure JG is a bit lame in it, but she's a babe so I'll forgive that. The only thing that reeeeeaaally irked me about the movie to be honest, was Collin Farrel - can't stand the ****er.

It's ok. I give movie Daredevil a 6/10

Affleck is decent. Garner is hawt hawt hawt. Colin Farrell is fun. Michael Clarke Duncan is good as Fisk. Jon Favreau as usual in his acting roles sucks.
Bascially agreed except for the Colin part.

I liked a lot about this movie at the time. I thought Farrell's Bullseye was pretty great. He was just hamming it up, but it fit perfectly with such a nutso character. The one thing I didn't like was Garner as Elektra. That felt totally wrong, and the see-saw scene is just terrible. I also hated that DD was a wanton murderer, and am glad that in the TV show they've gone totally in the opposite direction, with a huge part of his internal conflict being his opposition to a vigilante killer like Punisher. His point of view about this issue sours a couple of his key relationships.

It wasn't entirely terrible by 2003 standards - people forget that other than Blade coming in right at the end of the 90's, there hadn't really been a serious take on a hardboiled street-level character at that point, and the last two Batman movies had been Forever and ...And Robin. It was still very much a nascent and experimental time where filmmakers and studios had no real clue how to approach the material and were generating just as many misguided bargain bin-stuffers as they were actual hits.

Obviously it seems pretty ridiculous by today's standards in a post-Dark Knight/Iron Man world. Might have to give the director's cut a go sometime, though.

Wasn't that part of the evolution of his character??? It was the last time he killed anyone I think... Not defending the kill in the first place just saying at least he morphed into his no kill rule self.
Maybe, but I didn't notice that as a plot point when I initially saw it. And honestly I haven't seen it in 10+ years, so it could be I just missed that. In fact, I don't recall DD evolving much as a character over the course of that film. More of a simple "overcoming adversity" type of movie.

There was a point in the movie where he was beating a guy and a kid started crying and he said, "I'm not the bad guy kid." Then later I believe he was up on a rooftop wondering whether or not he really was. Once again my memory is a bit hazy but maybe that's when he evolved to the no killing rule.

Back