Custom/Kitbash 1/6 Clone Trooper

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the dude person

Super Freak
Reaction score
Ok everyone, I am pretty much broke after getting a Medicom Clone Commander for $65 shipped (great deal!). Then, I realized that my Commander would have absolutely no clones to command! How can you have a Clone Commander who can't command any clones? It just shouldn't happen...

So I need help figuring out a way to put together a white EP II style clone for super cheap (we're talking less than $20 here). So far, I have a black bodysuit, I have a good helmet figured out, and I think I know what I am going to do for hands.

I am thinking of making most of the armor out of card-stock or paper and possibly covering them with epoxy (mighty putty), sanding the pieces and painting them white. Does anyone have any tips on this or think it will work?

The second option is to try to find some sort of plasticard, only I have checked around and can't find it in many places.

Option 3 is if one of you guys were generous enough to donate some armor pieces, or if you could point me to a place that sells them parted out for next to nothing. I know toy anxiety parted out an Utapau clone or two, but most main armor pieces are no longer available. I have also checked eBay and have not found much.

And YES I have thought of painting the Medi Commander white to solve the prob, but I wouldn't want to ruin him, and I can't afford another one to paint white instead (even at the super cheap price they have on starwarsshop.com).

PLEASE HELP!

EDIT:

OK, so I am making some progress on my own on this trooper (making armor out of plastic McDonalds cups and super glue, then spraypainting it white). Here is a list of pieces that will be updated when there are changes:

-boots_______________?
-shin armor___________P
-knee pads___________P
-thigh armor__________P
-groin armor__________P
-belt________________?
-stomach armor_______FIN.
-chest plate__________FIN.
-back plate___________P
-shoulders____________T
-upper arms___________P
-elbow pads___________P
-forearms_____________T
-hands_______________FIN.
-bodysuit_____________FIN.
-helmet______________WIP

? piece I have no clue about, may have to buy this piece from someone else

P (stands for "planning") piece I have a plan on how to do, but isn't started yet and I have not created templates for

T (stand for "template") piece I have already made templates for

WIP (work in progress) currently working on this piece

FIN. (short for "finished") part that is done/ I already have

Last edited:
Re: Help with custom/kitbash 1/6 clone trooper

Ok everyone, I am pretty much broke after getting a Medicom Clone Commander for $65 shipped (great deal!). Then, I realized that my Commander would have absolutely no clones to command! How can you have a Clone Commander who can't command any clones? It just shouldn't happen...

So I need help figuring out a way to put together a white EP II style clone for super cheap (we're talking less than $20 here). So far, I have a black bodysuit, I have a good helmet figured out, and I think I know what I am going to do for hands.

I am thinking of making most of the armor out of card-stock or paper and possibly covering them with epoxy (mighty putty), sanding the pieces and painting them white. Does anyone have any tips on this or think it will work?

The second option is to try to find some sort of plasticard, only I have checked around and can't find it in many places.

Option 3 is if one of you guys were generous enough to donate some armor pieces, or if you could point me to a place that sells them parted out for next to nothing. I know toy anxiety parted out an Utapau clone or two, but most main armor pieces are no longer available. I have also checked eBay and have not found much.

And YES I have thought of painting the Medi Commander white to solve the prob, but I wouldn't want to ruin him, and I can't afford another one to paint white instead (even at the super cheap price they have on starwarsshop.com).

PLEASE HELP!

Being as you're so cheap budget-wise, I'd recommend picking up some of Hasbro's clones off of EbaY and porting them over to dragon bodies or something. You're not gonna get any sort of quality working on that budget and the Hasbro ones can be had for around $20 (even cheaper if you look around) and Monkey Depot has some nudes for about $0.95.

The other options are either "fail" and more "fail." You're not going to be able to mimic the armor efficiently with cardboard, card-stock or paper and expecting someone to remove armor from their trooper and send it to you (they don't come with extra pieces) is a bit ridiculous.

Last edited:

pic up some hasbros. unless you are skilled in modeling, you aren't going to make anything that looks that good for $20 or whatever they go for.

save up and buy what you want when you can afford it?

I have to agree with the others, this is not a cheap hobby and many of the figures cost around $100. You can't get much for $20, just save your money and work at getting 1 figure at a time like a lot of us, myself included.

as long as you don't sell them to people, I don't see much wrong with learning how to mold and recast the armor from the medicom figure you bought and you can pretty much make as many clones as you wanted...:lol

I would go the hasbro route trying to make armour out of plasticard will be damn hard. You might be able to sculpt some armour but if your not very good at sculpting i wouldn't bother going that route. If u get a hasbro 1 do what Darthgothikus did with his hasbro sandie and resize the armour.

The problem with hasbros is, they aren't as cheap as you guys are suggesting (at least not that I can see). The cheapest one that was buy it now on eBay was $50! Can you guys belive it? Some idiot thinks a hasblo fig is worth half a Benji...

I have some thin scrap plastic (like from packaging, etc) that I was thinking of using, and I made the chestplate out of paper and index cards a while back as a prototype... I might just try to use the templates I created for the paper version and re-make it out of thin plastic...

What you guys are saying is that it won't work and I should pretty much just give up now. That can be pretty good advice in some cases... But I think I'll actually try a few things before I determine for myself that this is hopeless without legit parts from a manufactured clone trooper...

If anyone comes across a trooper on eBay for cheap, it'd be nice to PM or post me a link. Call me crazy, but I am now going to attempt to make the chest plate out of a McDonald's cup (the plastic kind)...

Thank you for your advice everyone.

I agree, go for it. You will be suprised what you can make out of things laying around your house.

OH! I get it now.... First people try to dissuade me from doing this, claiming it is not possible, and once I have made up my mind to do it for sure, you guys switch over to the "anything is possible if you set your mind to it" stuff... Can't beat me, can you? I guess you joined me... :lol

Anyway, here are some pics of my McTrooper (want clone fries with that?)

FILE0317.jpg

Here's the soon-to-be-molded-and-casted clonetrooper head with BBI G3.5 body with bodysuit and gloves, also with the chestplate currently in 6 pieces loosely held together with electricians tape.

FILE0309.jpg

Left: index card/paper/glue prototype made months ago; Right: unfinished plastic version made with McDonalds cup today

FILE0312.jpg

Another pic of plastic version

I plan to super glue all six pieces into place, then use mighty putty to smooth out the corners and spaces between pieces. Then I'll sand it by hand a little, prime it, and spray it white.

I said it would be hard, not dont do it :lol anyway looks like you've got a handle on it so far :peace

I'm super gluing the first few pieces together as i type this (I'm typing with the other hand!)

perhaps I should request a thread name change to lose the "help" part...

OH! I get it now.... First people try to dissuade me from doing this, claiming it is not possible, and once I have made up my mind to do it for sure, you guys switch over to the "anything is possible if you set your mind to it" stuff... Can't beat me, can you? I guess you joined me... :lol

You neglected to mention your Masters Degree in the ancient art of Mc Plastic Cup Origami!

I'd never of considered this as a viable way of making armour, but step one looks promising, can't wait to see more.

Very creative!

:google Insane!! After reading the first post I was going to suggest taking cans to the recycling station or even rolling up and cashing in some coins... then I see you've started a McClone! Good luck, this should be fun to see develop!

:google Insane!! After reading the first post I was going to suggest taking cans to the recycling station or even rolling up and cashing in some coins... then I see you've started a McClone! Good luck, this should be fun to see develop!

Yes, perhaps it is insane... :mwaha... I'm a mad scientist!... err... customizer!

I believe I will have to change my sig to "McTrooper (want clone fries with that?)" :lol

So far all the pieces for the chest are in place, but some of the super glue leaked and made some blobs on the exterior surface... tried filing, think it'll need some power-sanding... Then again, that could create serious scratches in the smooth, pristine plastic...

will post pics soon.

With all this talk of food products I missread your post and thought you were using "Sugar Glue"
Good god man! Is this trooper wearing edible underwear? We need to petition Dave immediately for a new Sub-sub-thread. 1:6 scale Star Wars perverts!
I'm getting a rubber gimp suit ready for Lando when he arrives!!!

Then I realised it said Super Glue, and my hopes were dashed.

With all this talk of food products I missread your post and thought you were using "Sugar Glue"
Good god man! Is this trooper wearing edible underwear? We need to petition Dave immediately for a new Sub-sub-thread. 1:6 scale Star Wars perverts!
I'm getting a rubber gimp suit ready for Lando when he arrives!!!

Then I realised it said Super Glue, and my hopes were dashed.

Err.. that's private information... I mean... NO!... sorta...

well, maybe... :naughty

:lol jk that's hilarious! Perhaps at some point I will subconsciously type sugar glue instead of super glue.....

All these "sub forums" are getting kinda annoying... before you know it, there's gonna be a sub-forum dedicated to each square inch of every figure or diorama remotely pertaining to SW! :lol

and also, I noticed that the "Imperial Commando!" thread is in this section, when it is about a book... :confused: I think it belongs in the reg. SW section...

Back