Creature SSE Dio Registry.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ATTACK of the SSE COLLECTORS ! ! !

:rotfl

Here, I fixed your avatar for you:

coloravatar.jpg

It's how it would've looked had you been there for it's creation. :p

in the years 1931-1954 lack of technology showed the Universal Monster Films in black and white.

If we were present on set back in the day, the Creature would have been GREEN and Julie Adams would've had red lipstick and flesh toned skin, not a greyed out black and white.

that's all i'm saying. The SSE are iconic because that's how you've seen them, for me COLOR are more iconic because it's how they were supposed to be seen ... in color.

SSE are a clever marketing tactic Sideshow has employed to sell more statues.

Not exactly true that if you had been present on the set, you would have see them the way they were meant to be seen in color. Black and white photography is an art that the studios perfected in the earliest days. They used colors (not necessarily realistic colors) that showed up as certain hues on black and white film so as to get the best "look" to the black and white film. Therefore, if you had been on set, you might not have seen the colors as they would have been had they been shooting on color film, so the whole debate about color vs SSE is really moot to begin with.

That's a really good point, Lonnie. I remember reading some of the humorous anecdotes from actors during the 40's and early 50's, how they would be reading lines that described the beauty of their leading lady, while looking at an actress wearing green make-up, because they found that certain shades of green produced very pleasing, realistic-looking skin tones in black and white.

Makes you wonder if the original Frankenstein's Monster design intended for him to be green, or if it just looked so otherworldly and cool once the make-up was applied that they decided to use it for the promo shots.

true, false, fact, opinion.

certain Universal Monsters look better in color.

Frankenstein & Creature from the Black Lagoon are perfect examples.

It depends on the piece. I prefer the Frankenstein 1:1 in the SSE color scheme...

Great pic for the Cool toy Review website. I was reading about some of the other Universal Monster figurines. You've put together quite an informative database on these over the years.

But, information on Universal Monster PFs is lacking (e.g., Creature From The Black Lagoon PF). I know it's a daunting task, but I'd sure like to have information on them.

Also, let me throw this idea out to you. Would it be possible to include information on some of the figures regarding what to look for in un-tampered packaging, etc. For instance, many of the 1/6 figures come with circular-shaped tape that seals the ends of the packages. Many packages have been opened, re-sealed with regular tape and sold as "original unopened" items. Perhaps some close-up pics of the seals would be nice. Some of the figures had regular tape (not circular-shaped tape) to seal the packages and sometimes its difficult to tell if it's been re-sealed or not.

Also, some pics of the 1/6 Holiday Dracula "ribbon" would be nice. I'm bidding on a 1/6 Holiday Frankenstein and it's nice to see close-up pics of his holiday pajamas. I've always thought that it would be fairly easy for someone to duplicate the pajamas if they could find the matching material, put the pajamas on a regular Frankenstein figure and sell him as a "holiday" Frankenstein. Seeing the close-up pics on your website of an actual Holiday Frankenstein will make it easy to compare against any phonies we might run across.

I wish Sideshow had included something specific to the Dracula and Frankenstein figures as a diagnostic to assure you were getting the "holiday" figure. I suppose the special message on their backsides is unique to these figures, so I guess it's the real deal if they have one of these messages. But, you'd have to open the package and take his outfit off to see it and that kind of ruins it for those of us who like to keep the figure MIB and unopened.

Anyway, great website! Thanks for the update on the CFTBL Diorama. He's great!!

Last edited:
90/100

big thank you to shropt

this dude knew i collected the sse dioramas and when i missed out, he sold me his at retail price

thanks dude

Back