Creature SSE Dio Registry.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
true, false, fact, opinion.

certain Universal Monsters look better in color.

Frankenstein & Creature from the Black Lagoon are perfect examples.

in the years 1931-1954 lack of technology showed the Universal Monster Films in black and white.

If we were present on set back in the day, the Creature would have been GREEN and Julie Adams would've had red lipstick and flesh toned skin, not a greyed out black and white.

that's all i'm saying. The SSE are iconic because that's how you've seen them, for me COLOR are more iconic because it's how they were supposed to be seen ... in color.

SSE are a clever marketing tactic Sideshow has employed to sell more statues.

in the years 1931-1954 lack of technology showed the Universal Monster Films in black and white.

If we were present on set back in the day, the Creature would have been GREEN and Julie Adams would've had red lipstick and flesh toned skin, not a greyed out black and white.

that's all i'm saying. The SSE are iconic because that's how you've seen them, for me COLOR are more iconic because it's how they were supposed to be seen ... in color.

It is a good thing that SSC doesn't listen to just one opinion then.

Nice pics Orc !

I'm still on the waitlist ... it's no looking good. I guess i wasn't mean to be a flipper after all!

However, I am happy i purchased the Color Dio when I had the chance. After comparing pics, the Color Dio has much more POP !

I was going to wait for the SSE because most say SSE > COLOR, but in this case i'm affraid it's the other way around.

thanks, bezzerkerr!

i dig them both...color and sse and think both are outstadning. imo this is the best universal diorama ss has done. i freely admit that i'm biased b/c i dig the creature so much.

Not quite true. Three-strip Technicolor was available for years prior to the filming of the Creature films. It was more budgetary concerns that prevented them from using it than technical ones. Plus, Eastman color was available in 1952, which would likely have made it accessible to the filmmakers, had they really wanted to use it.

"If we were present on set back in the day"? That seems like an odd reasoning. We weren't present on set, so there is no emotional attachment to such imagined memories.

As far has how the Universal monsters were "supposed" to be seen, see my comments above. Color filming techniques were available to the filmmakers. The fact that they chose to film in black and white is reason enough for me to conclude that they were supposed to be seen that way.

I suppose that is, in part, true (but no more or less so than it is for any other product Sideshow sells). However, if no one liked them they would not sell, and the tactic would fail.

What baffles me is why you feel such an odd compulsion to continue to try to belittle people who like the SSEs. You don't like them. We get that. We got it the first time you posted comments to that effect. Repeating the same comments, ad nauseam, really serves no purpose other than to aggravate people.

Here are a few pics of my dio:

sse_creature_1.jpg

sse_creature_2.jpg

sse_creature_3.jpg

sse_creature_4.jpg

sse_creature_5.jpg

sse_creature_6.jpg

So do you guys kinda freak out when moving this guy around? I'm so afraid Julie is going to get scratched up in Gill-man's arms. Is that a rational fear, or is it something I probably won't have to worry about?

nice pics, robo!

this dio photographs very nicely. it's a testament to the sculpt that we really haven't seen bad shots of it. it's pretty much flawless imo.

So do you guys kinda freak out when moving this guy around? I'm so afraid Julie is going to get scratched up in Gill-man's arms. Is that a rational fear, or is it something I probably won't have to worry about?

Hmm, didn't think about it. I would just not touch it to be safe. :)

kind of. i have been very careful so far when i touch or move the dio.

I don't think it is irrational at all. I was very careful moving the piece out to my studio to take pictures. But I will say that by using adequate caution, she didn't move around at all while being carried.

It's one of my concerns. Her swimsuit could easily scratch, and picky collectors (like myself) may break your balls when trying to sell it!

SSE - COLOR: either way it's a great sculpt, i wish they made this in PF scale !

What baffles me is why you feel such an odd compulsion to continue to try to belittle people who like the SSEs. You don't like them. We get that. We got it the first time you posted comments to that effect. Repeating the same comments, ad nauseam, really serves no purpose other than to aggravate people.

aggrivate no, educate yes.

This thread is getting kind of hilarious. Have to say though, this is one spectacular diorama for the small line we have, and likely my favorite thus far. I had the color, it was awesome and vibrant. However, like many others here I must be very uneducated because I do prefer the SSE.

Very sad now that I ditched the line in anticipation of missing the Creature. Had I known there would be 100, I would never have sold. But hind sight is 20/20. Off to the WTB threads to try to recapture the glory of SSE.

Back