City Hunter Predator: Neca vs Hot Toys?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OM1D

Super Freak
Reaction score
First off: I love predator, the character, and have NO brand preference. I own both Neca (1/4 masked & closed mouth P1) and Hot Toys (Classic, P2 (TD mask on its way), Berserker) predators and will keep getting stuff from both brands, so if you intend to troll, please GTFO.

That said, I created this thread solely because I'm considering getting Neca's masked 1/4 City Hunter as well. Since I already own Hot Toys' City Hunter 2.0 and will use it as reference (alongside the film, obviously), I was wondering if anyone else owns both and cared to share pics or advice?

So, which City Hunter do you prefer, and why?

Re: City Hunter Predator: Neca vs Hot Toys

Ah man, sorry dude. Lack of said video is the exact reason why this thread exists.

Solid figure, but not an apples to apples comparison to HT. Unless you want variety in terms of pure scale, I think you'd find you haven't missed anything with HT's version.

I don't think either is perfect as far as accuracy but NECA's is closer. Hot Toys City Hunter is the one that made me sell all my Hot Toys predators and just quit buying them altogether. I guess higher accuracy was more important to me than higher quality with regard this franchise.

I don't think any of hot toys predators have ever been spot on to be honest not just city hunter. The closest in accuracy to the real thing imo was probably scar predator or elder 2.0 versions. There's just always been problems with them. Whilst i realise its over 6 years since their release but Looking at borg predator and original predator 1.0 they seem hilarious looking now with their body proportions.

I was incredibly disappointed with the quality of the NECA figure, even though the accuracy was great (it also helps - as with all NECA's products - if you can see the paint job on the particular figure you're buying. Some are better than others.) NECA's 1/4 scale is very heavy and feels like it might break should it fall over... Which it will if you don't have it secured, lol. That, and the blasted netting can be an issue. Cool looking? Yes, but ultimately I gave mine to a cousin because I couldn't handle the repeated tumbling it kept doing. :wink1:

Hot Toys' CH 2.0 with TD's mask is good enough for me, as I like my preds masked. But there's something about Neca's main (P1 & P2) preds in quarter scale, that makes me want them too.

Are the quality issues solely restricted to the netting and tendency to break if fallen?

Wish I had the chance to have plenty to compare, but unfortunately I can only find these online, and sparsely. Might be able to get a MISB 1/4 masked CH for $90. Wondering if I should strike or not? What are the chances they'll release updated, LED City Hunters in the year to come?

I don't think any of hot toys predators have ever been spot on to be honest not just city hunter. The closest in accuracy to the real thing imo was probably scar predator or elder 2.0 versions.

The Elder 2.0 is a great figure, but it's pretty far from accurate.

Hot Toys' CH 2.0 with TD's mask is good enough for me, as I like my preds masked. But there's something about Neca's main (P1 & P2) preds in quarter scale, that makes me want them too.

Are the quality issues solely restricted to the netting and tendency to break if fallen?

Wish I had the chance to have plenty to compare, but unfortunately I can only find these online, and sparsely. Might be able to get a MISB 1/4 masked CH for $90. Wondering if I should strike or not? What are the chances they'll release updated, LED City Hunters in the year to come?

yes, the only problems with NECA are the netting and that if he falls his leg will break (the torso has never broken for people but the leg joints will break.)

if money is not an issue I would get city hunter from NECA and get someone to fix the netting and maybe the paint job. as far as the sculpt goes it is the closest to the movie.

Hot Toys breaks easily too so I dont know why no one is mentioning this. all hot toys figures break extremely easy. a wrong pose and things start to snap. at least with NECA it would take falling from a high shelf. Hot Toys break by just moving them

So, which City Hunter do you prefer, and why?

I own both and like them both for their own reasons.

NECA 1/4 due to the size and value for money.

It's a bit more movie accurate and overall a decent figure for the price.

Hot Toys 1/6 due to the very nice quality and finishing.

Metal and light up parts, more accessories and in depth movable parts.

2.0 looks better the first release, especially with the paint app and the unmasked face.

HT's City Hunter 2.0 = Worst Pred ever! Horrible figure.

:(

It's not that bad, is it? :)

Bought masked P2 on preorder. Three years later still love it. I'm buying unmasked version as well. So buy it my friend you won't regret it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HT's City Hunter 2.0 = Worst Pred ever! Horrible figure.

What the heck are you on about? Yeah the head, mask and cannon aren't great; but its not the "Worst Pred ever", far from it... :nono

If it's one thing I've realized since getting into collectibles (although I only collect predators), it's that there are polarized opinions about just about every piece.

Hot Toys P2 but only with TD custom bio mask and accurate plasma caster

Yeah, I personally own and love Hot Toys' City Hunter 2.0, although I've yet to break its seals, awaiting TD's bio mask and cannon kit (which, according to TD are to expect very soon). I can get the face inaccuracies, but I prefer my predators masked, always. Even so, the inaccuracies are minor and the character is, in my opinion, one of HT's best.

Bought masked P2 on preorder. Three years later still love it. I'm buying unmasked version as well. So buy it my friend you won't regret it!

I think I'm growing more and more into getting Neca's masked CH too. Mostly because of its sheer size and body proportions. Just wish the mask was less texture-y, and more smooth. But all in all, it looks just as badass as the Neca Jungle Hunter, which is another piece I really appreciate.

You have to wonder if NECAs' going to release a new version of the City Hunter depending on how sales of the Jungle Hunter 2.0 go... I'd almost be inclined to wait, but it is a tough decision.

Back