Captain America: Civil War (May 6, 2016)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
]
I'm in the minority who put BvS above CW - mainly because I'm biased towards Bats and Supes as characters, and really like what Snyder did with Battfleck. Plus it overall just felt "grander" than CW (if more disjointed).

(Hrm, maybe I should move this to the "unpopular opinions" thread...)

rsSpaceMadness5.png
[

I'm trying really hard not to compare this to BvS because it will be unfair to BvS. We're dealing with more nuanced characters with more backstory than BvS did.

That said, I disagree with the review a few pages back. I think this movie had the best action sequences of any Marvel movie. A bit excessive on shaky cam (which can make 3D more difficult to watch) but the choreography was top notch. Hard to think fight scenes these good can come out of sitcom directors.

Just got in from the midnight release. Really enjoyed it. Definitely the most powerfully emotional Marvel film so far. Looking forward to seeing it again.

I like how you can come into this movie rooting for a "team" and yet come out of it both teams were right and wrong at the same time. RDJ, Chris and Sebastian all pulled their acting chops here and you can see how their characters developed from the past films up to this point.

Like TWS, this movie really changed the landscape for the MCU moving forwards in a good way I think. This is also the film that felt the most "transitory" for me. It's almost like a TV episode where each movie is an extended episode setting up the next. It felt like Empire Strikes Back in how it ended for me.

That may be why BvS felt more "epic" to me. As great as CW was, the cinematography was a bit more low-key.

I prefer the more low-key down to earth presentation of CW. The combat felt more brutal because it looked more tactical than brute force as seen in BvS. Also the camera shots felt more like it came out of Bourne Identity at times which has its pros and cons too.

saw civil war last night. a pretty good sequel but stops short of being great, due to a number of fundamental story and character issues. people slag off the motivations for bats & supes coming to blows but in cw the antagonism comes off way more contrived, esp on cap's side. at the climax, there is a much more personal and therefore convincing reason for them to fight, and i feel this should've been brought way upfront and made the catalyst, not the punchline. i also find the movie a bit talky in parts, but thankfully it's not overly draggy. the villain is underdeveloped and underwhelming as is usually the case with marvel, but also somewhat sympathetic and tragic in the end.

some terrific action sequences, great gags, and an excellent spidey. solid performances by evans and stan, and holland is adorable. stark is rather uncharacteristic here, which bothered me initially. downey jr did what he could with the way his role was written, so acting-wise he's fine. overall it's a better avengers sequel than age of ultron, but winter soldier is still the superior film.

avoid 3D at all costs though, it just looks all blurry in that format thanks to the shaky cam and the russos shooting the action up close.

saw civil war last night. a pretty good sequel but stops short of being great, due to a number of fundamental story and character issues. people slag off the motivations for bats & supes coming to blows but in cw the antagonism comes off way more contrived, esp on cap's side. at the climax, there is a much more personal and therefore convincing reason for them to fight, and i feel this should've been brought way upfront and made the catalyst, not the punchline. i also find the movie a bit talky in parts, but thankfully it's not overly draggy. the villain is underdeveloped and underwhelming as is usually the case with marvel, but also somewhat sympathetic and tragic in the end.

some terrific action sequences, great gags, and an excellent spidey. solid performances by evans and stan, and holland is adorable. stark is rather uncharacteristic here, which bothered me initially. downey jr did what he could with the way his role was written, so acting-wise he's fine. overall it's a better avengers sequel than age of ultron, but winter soldier is still the superior film.

avoid 3D at all costs though, it just looks all blurry in that format thanks to the shaky cam and the russos shooting the action up close.

O so we got a dc fanboy in our midst huh? Cuff him Lou!

O so we got a dc fanboy in our midst huh? Cuff him Lou!

don't be silly. just because i am not falling over myself to lay down nothing but praise for cw doesn't mean i am a dc fanboy. it just means i am open enough to see a movie's flaws. cw is not perfect. it's very good, but certainly far from perfect.

don't be silly. just because i am not falling over myself to lay down nothing but praise for cw doesn't mean i am a dc fanboy. it just means i am open enough to see a movie's flaws. cw is not perfect. it's very good, but certainly far from perfect.

O no I understand.

Cuff him Lou!!!!

Hahaha

Well Civil War isn't perfect. When you get a movie with so many characters sometimes details tend to get glossed over.

I do not agree that the initial conflict was contrived.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Oh I missed that.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Hahaha

Well Civil War isn't perfect. When you get a movie with so many characters sometimes details tend to get glossed over.

it's contrived because
Spoiler Spoiler:

Hahaha

Spoiler Spoiler:

Excuse me, but where
Spoiler Spoiler:

it's contrived because
Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Excuse me, but where
Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Hahaha

Spoiler Spoiler:

Very valid points, the only one I do have an explanation for is how Steve knew about Bucky and Stark's parents. In WS while Steve and Natasha was in the room talking to Zola(computer) he revealed that Hyrda was behind the deaths of Stark's parents. He explained that "accidents happen" while the screen shows a newspaper clip about Howard Stark's death. Since Hydra controlled Bucky, I think Steve just put 2 and 2 together.

Back