"Bring me Wesley's head" Commitment thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i might be interested in this as well but i kinda wanna see the finished product. id also like it painted and preferably attached to a body of some kind. and a list of some sites for good clothes. im not much of a kitbasher. all i can really find is millitary gear.

Thanks for the good wishes Trev. Believe me we all wish you or Andy were less busy, but at the rate this is going with interested sculptors the offer might still be here when your workload is lessened. Not to mention if either one of you did this customers would come out of the woodwork.

i might be interested in this as well but i kinda wanna see the finished product. id also like it painted and preferably attached to a body of some kind. and a list of some sites for good clothes. im not much of a kitbasher. all i can really find is millitary gear.

I've seen Trev's work... I don't need to see the final product to know that it would ROCK! My monkey paws would be ALL OVER IT!!! :monkey5:monkey5:monkey5

Maybe we should try and book Trevor for sometime over the next 6-8 months when he can fit it in? Maybe when he gets time he can work on it little by little? I can guarantee that his sculpt would double our interested parties.

Maybe we should try and book Trevor for sometime over the next 6-8 months when he can fit it in? Maybe when he gets time he can work on it little by little? I can guarantee that his sculpt would double our interested parties.

Heck, if Trevor sculpted it I might want two. Or three. :monkey3:monkey3:monkey3

Last edited:
As long it's a good portrait I'd wait as long as it takes.

Wes is going to be quite a hard one to do I believe, so we're going to need an artist who's worked with likenesses before and who isn't put off by the challenge. :eek:

Thats very good indeed, but then I'd have to offer it up too a photo of the 'real deal' for comparison.

But off the top of my head I'd say that was excellent. :D

Well it doesn't seem like we're getting much of a response. I'm thinking we should probably approach Trevor and just give him an open ended time frame. We all know what he's capable of so it will be worth the wait. Is anyone else thinking this way?

As I’ve said, I am really not comfortable with the idea of “commissioning” an artist without some type of reassurance on both sides, which to me means up front, a commitment to the sculptor at a set price with the option to me the buyer to refuse if the sculpt is not good enough. Obviously, a pro like either Andy or Trev have a leg up w/ having a proven methodology and experience so the odds of their product not being good enough are much lower than a hobbyist. That said, if an up-and-coming artist wants it, would do a good job, etc., how would we ever know? Why exclude them from the process?

In all honesty, I would prefer a free market approach. We’ve communicated that there are approximately 20 people extremely interested in a good Wesley headsculpt. From the opinions voiced here, it sounds like most would want a late Angel version rather than a season 2 Buffy version. A few people have given the price range of what they would be willing to pay for an unpainted or painted head. If any sculptor (or hopefully eventually painter) wants those buys, let ‘em develop the sculpt and offer it. I want to be able to pass if their product and their price doesn’t do it for me.

For the sculptors out there thinking about this but have been too shy because you’re not proven, or gave up because of the discussion about approaching this or that pro sculptor, why not come up with a Wesley head just to add to your portfolio? If it’s good enough and not too expensive, I’ll buy a copy from you. If you don’t overcharge for it, I’ll buy two from you so I can customize a younger Buffy version for myself (no recasting I promise). That is, if I don’t get tired of waiting and make up my own. Even if you find the results aren’t worth selling, it would be a good exercise, don’t you think?

I’m sorry if I sound frustrated, but I’m beginning to see why the Buffy/Angel line died.

I’m sorry if I sound frustrated, but I’m beginning to see why the Buffy/Angel line died.

Ouch! Look you made the monkeys cry. :monkey2:monkey2:monkey2

Look, I understand the frustration (I'm an Ape collector, after all) but patience might serve us well here. :eek:

Having Trev say that he will "keep it on the radar" is enough for me. :monkey3:monkey3:monkey3

I'm going to try and sculpt my own. I would definitely keep my commitment toward the commission, but I'm going to give it a shot for no other reason than maybe others will see it and say "I can do better than that!" and give it a shot as well.
Meanwhile...
Lets keep intriguing Trevor's radar.

hey again fella's and gal's...as my brother and I keep making our way through season 4 Angel again, I get more and more interested in sculpting some of the 'A team'. ( I gotta say, this is a great season...I initially disliked it, but the only thing I still don't much dig is the direction they went with Cordelia...)

I'm certainly flattered that some of you would be cool with seeing what I would have to offer. I would really like to try it out....I'll plan to sculpt a Wes when things slow down a bit and you guys can take a look and see if you'd want it. Seeing as though I'm pressed for time, it would likely take quite a while... I definitely encourage other artists to give it a go!!!This would be a fun project, though, as would any other Buffy or Angel characters!

Of course....the only thing better to sculpt in the Whedonverse would be the crew of Serenity....but I'll always dream of that.

Trev

You don't have to dream it, you can sculpt it! LOL!!
Well like I said, it doesn't seem like many sculptors are really interested in the project at the moment, so we have nothing but time.

Well as a last resort, my Tussuad's sculptor friend said he would do it.

Only thing is because he is a senior portrait sculptor at Madam Tussuad's and so doesn't come cheap, but he would create an exceptional likeness though.

Here's a link to some of his work, although I have to say that site hasn't been updated for ages, and his portfolio is now is just exceptional.

https://www.unit-ten.co.uk/s01/ssculptor/ssculptor.htm

Oy, I really didn’t mean to upset the monkeys, Proto. That last sentence came out very snippy in hindsight, for which I apologize. My only point is I would rather not wait if there is someone out there NOW who wants to give this a shot but is intimidated by all the talk about wanting a pro to do it. Commissioning a pro’s all well and good except:

1. Andy and Trev have said they’ve got a lot on their plates right now and it could be a while if they decided to take this on.

2. Money. Sue’s mentioned her friend will of course command a professional’s price. Still very unclear about the $ (or pounds or rupees or whatever) thing and until we talk seriously with a specific artist, we won’t know what a realistic rate or price-per-piece is. If and when that is hashed out, I know I have a high pain threshold when it comes to price as long as the quality is there but then I don’t have any dependents other than a high strung dog to feed. How many of the twenty-something others on the list would be willing to go $40 or more on a single unpainted bodiless head?

3. Hiring a pro is no guarantee of good results. Portfolios are great for a preview of what an artist is capable of, but what would he or she do with this specific project?

This all assumes some kind of formal arrangement that would require consensus on the part of a significant number of buyers. I am looking at this situation now, and objectively, I am 90% sure that that will never happen. The only way I can see a Wesley sculpt realistically making any progress is if an artist—any artist, pro, semi-pro, hobbyist, tho I’ll just say, I personally would love it if it were Trev and less than 6 months from now—takes the initiative—does the sculpt on their own time, slaps a price tag on it appropriate to their work and a decent profit margin, then posts a “for sale” post without waiting to be approached by a group of crazed and desperate Buffy/Angel fans on Sideshow withdrawal. Then see the customized Wes figures begin to post a couple weeks later.

Anzik, I really look forward to seeing your work if you decide to post the results. It is fun to sculpt, I often think about how different things would have turned out for me if I’d kept up with the art school in college rather than the English degree and business career I ended up with, but back then all viable art careers had to do with advertising which wasn’t for me, and there’s no denying my current job pays me well enough. I would give Wes a shot too, just for fun, but I’ve even slowed down with Willow and Tara lately due to real life. I have finished my Willow sculpt, though, and will look to go to mold on that this weekend.

Back