Big Chief Studios* - 1/6 Doctor Who - #3 Jon Pertwee

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Capaldi will sell well, given that they only did one release on him, and it's a Doctor a lot of latecomers seemed to ask for pretty regularly. And I suspect Ecclestone will also do well if they have managed to nail the sculpt this time around, particularly seeing as how these apparently come with two heads, so if both are good folks can use one head on their old release, and one on the new, which might add an extra kick to his appeal.

As for Tennant and Smith, who knows what the saturation point is for Who, and I know both have seen two proper releases previously, but Tennant is always popular, and the last Tenth Doctor (series 4) they made shipped towards the end of 2015, and the last Eleventh (series 7) shipped mid 2015, so we're still talking six years already since the last time they put out new Tenth or Eleventh Doctors in 1/6. Big Chief has grown a lot since then, both as a company and in terms of quality, and collecting has a lot of buyer turnover, so I think they're on pretty safe ground with these personally. If less popular Doctors being made didn't derail the line any, then I don't think new versions of four quite popular Doctors will do them any harm, or be that hard to move in the numbers they need to be viable.

As for the Zavvi re-releases, how well, or not, they sell isn't Big Chief's problem, and I give BCS credit for being up front when those re-releases were announced that there would be new versions of all of those Doctors coming, so I doubt they will cut significantly into the sales numbers of the new figures. Sure some might grab the re-releases and call it a day, but I suspect the reason that BCS is working on getting the upcoming releases seen now is to point out that (possibly) better versions of these characters are on the horizon before the re-releases hit. That way at least people can go in eyes open when making their choices.

Wait and see how it all shakes out, I guess.

I'm really liking those new Capaldi and Smith sculpts...but wish they gave us a little more info on the Deluxe Tom version and it's newly revised head sculpts:(
Interesting that the Daleks and K9 come with light-up features only. Pretty pointless to me, to have one without the other.

The new Smith and Capaldi sculpts look awesome, I definitely need those. Looking forward to seeing the full reveals of them all. :)

I told myself I was going to get only a subset of the classic series figures, but I think they got me with the new Capaldi.

Yeah, they'll have me on the hook for that, too, no doubt. That variant K-9 is a quality incentive. Really like that the Ninth Doctor's coat will be proper leather this time around, too.

Looks like I'll need to find an appropriate new body for my current 9 if I plan to use both new heads though, given that the new heads all have sculpted necks. Still, not like I won't have plenty of time to do so... :lol

I do wish the international shipping backlog would get a shift on sorting itself out, I'm jonesing for that Pertwee figure to land.

The Katy Manning signatures are ready, so hopefully the figures are nearly here...:panic: 235974141_10160157298691002_7853593604877073723_n.jpg

Yeah, they'll have me on the hook for that, too, no doubt. That variant K-9 is a quality incentive. Really like that the Ninth Doctor's coat will be proper leather this time around, too.

Looks like I'll need to find an appropriate new body for my current 9 if I plan to use both new heads though, given that the new heads all have sculpted necks. Still, not like I won't have plenty of time to do so... :lol

I do wish the international shipping backlog would get a shift on sorting itself out, I'm jonesing for that Pertwee figure to land.

Don't the original releases have removable necks as well? Like the head is separate, but the neck also separates from the body.

Don't the original releases have removable necks as well? Like the head is separate, but the neck also separates from the body.

Most do, but the Ninth Doctor has a different/altered body that has a sculpted torso with fixed neck, due to the Doctor's outfit. So while you could likely do a swap for any of the other Doctors with the new heads, he'll need a full body swap. That's no bad thing, particularly, given how brittle and prone to breakage the Ninth Doctor's body was anyhow.

Really loving the new smiling sculpts on Tennant and Smith. Given how animated their actors were, the old neutral sculpts left them looking borderline suicidal. The clothes on Tennant especially are an upgrade as well. Im undecided on if I am going to buy the entire lot, but if I don't im at least going to track down some parts to upgrade my current figure lineup.

Also it seems like a weird choice to only make a relatively obscure Dalek model from the classic series. I was hoping for a new series Dalek.

It's the same basic Dalek design that was used across the full classic series run of 26 years, and that can now be re-run any number of times for any number of colour variants that appeared on the show, most requiring few, if any, design changes. So not a weird choice at all in my view. In fact I'd call it the opposite...if Daleks are able to sell at this price point. I think the jury is still out on that, though.

If they do sell, I imagine they would eventually go down the same route with modern series RTD era Daleks as well.

Last edited:
That particular kind of golden Dalek was only used in 2 stories in the classic series. Same basic design, but the colors are indeed a pretty niche choice.

Not to be that guy, but as far as the classic series goes, outside of brief cameos (like the single Dalek in the Five Doctors) there were only 8 proper Dalek stories once the show had begun to be broadcast in colour at the beginning of the 70's (from Pertwee onward). Day of the Daleks, which this gold Dalek is from, was also the first TV Dalek story in colour, and the Third Doctor's first run in with the Daleks, so there's that, too.

Also, with Pertwee's Doctor about to be released by BCS, and with him also being the classic era Doctor who appeared in the most Dalek stories after Hartnell, it makes perfect sense that the initial classic era Daleks are done as a companion pieces for his Doctor, at least in my view.

Also, other than the grey Dalek (also being made), which appeared in every Colour Dalek story in the classic era (though the shade of grey varied from darker to lighter over time, with both a dark grey as leader and light grey as drones in Destiny of the Daleks), no other Dalek colour variant made more than two appearances during the colour era of the classic series anyway. In fact the only other Dalek variant to make even two appearances with a consistent colour scheme was the white and gold imperial Daleks. A Black Dalek Supreme appeared three times, but was distinctly different each time. Black and gold in Planet of the Daleks, black and white in Resurrection of the Daleks, and black and silver in Remembrance of the Daleks. Other than one offs like the glass/clear Dalek from Revelation of the Daleks, and the Special Weapons Dalek (from Remembrance), that's pretty much it from memory.

As far as the B&W era goes, going by the actual prop colours, the silver and blue Dalek appeared in every Hartnell and Troughton story (a different silver Dalek - silver and black, appeared once in the colour era), while the original Black Dalek Supreme (Black and blue) made three appearances before becoming a silver Dalek with a black dome for a single appearance in Evil of the Daleks. There was also the black and silver striped Dalek commander (with blue hemispheres) in Dalek Invasion of Earth, which I always liked. All of the Dalek IoE versions also had higher skirts and dishes on their backs as well, which made them distict.

Um, yeah, anyway, I respectfully disagree. :lol

I such a damn geek... :horror

Last edited:
Back