Big Chief Studios* - 1/6 Doctor Who - #3 Jon Pertwee

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes but most of that stuff just sits in the box anyway. Neat to have but I'd rather not have Big Chief sit on my money for years when they clearly seem to be having money issues. I'd rather lose a deposit at BBTS than the full amount at Big Chief if they go under.

I don't see any indication of them having money issues at all, if anything they seem to be in a much stronger position than they used to be.

Yes but most of that stuff just sits in the box anyway. Neat to have but I'd rather not have Big Chief sit on my money for years when they clearly seem to be having money issues. I'd rather lose a deposit at BBTS than the full amount at Big Chief if they go under.
What leads you to believe BCS has money issues or the potential to go under?

Really? When was the last time they released anything that wasn't a bobbleead? They seem to be trying to get as much money from preorders and deliver the figures much later. The new Doctors will make 13 characters from DoctorWho on preorder, crazy for a niche line, then there's re-releasing the numbered, Limited edition figures to Zavvi and selling the figures parted out for high price on their own site. Seem like a money issue to me.

BCS is also an official distributor for the UK. So their revenue is not solely reliant on their licensed properties.

I posted this on the L&H thread but thought others on this thread might find it interesting. Take it or leave it, I'm not vouching for its legitimacy, just what the guy said, and there's nothing here others haven't figured out already. (y)
After a conversation with a guy from BCS this morning it seems an announcement is forthcoming of a delay on [L&H] (and other BCS) figures. As the gentleman tells it, it's obviously about shipping delays, skyrocketing shipping costs, and scheduling windows for pick-up/delivery. For those who ordered straight from BCS, as opposed to Sideshow, both go to the manufacturer separately for the same merchandise, but the China to U.S. shipping is somehow lesser by about 1-2 weeks. It's not as though BCS gives Sideshow their "sizeable" lot then sits on theirs as Sideshow delivers, SS just enjoys more efficient shipping/delivering means. Again, as the man from BCS tells it.

Really? When was the last time they released anything that wasn't a bobbleead? They seem to be trying to get as much money from preorders and deliver the figures much later. The new Doctors will make 13 characters from DoctorWho on preorder, crazy for a niche line, then there's re-releasing the numbered, Limited edition figures to Zavvi and selling the figures parted out for high price on their own site. Seem like a money issue to me.
That launch pad thing got me worried...wanting full payment up front for figures that might never be made.

And the re-released figures that can only be purchased exclusively from Zavvi is a tad strange...wanting full payment for pre-orders, with the release date changing from month to month.
Why aren't these available from BCS own shop with a deposit fee only??

Maybe i'm over thinking things and need to lie down for a while:giggle:

I posted this on the L&H thread but thought others on this thread might find it interesting. Take it or leave it, I'm not vouching for its legitimacy, just what the guy said, and there's nothing here others haven't figured out already. (y)
After a conversation with a guy from BCS this morning it seems an announcement is forthcoming of a delay on [L&H] (and other BCS) figures. As the gentleman tells it, it's obviously about shipping delays, skyrocketing shipping costs, and scheduling windows for pick-up/delivery. For those who ordered straight from BCS, as opposed to Sideshow, both go to the manufacturer separately for the same merchandise, but the China to U.S. shipping is somehow lesser by about 1-2 weeks. It's not as though BCS gives Sideshow their "sizeable" lot then sits on theirs as Sideshow delivers, SS just enjoys more efficient shipping/delivering means. Again, as the man from BCS tells it.
Thanks for posting:)

From my dealings SS is now one of the slowest for getting in stock...so a big pinch of salt is needed.
Alas...it's looking more than likely that the Third Doctor is only 12 inch figure getting released this year:(

This also coupled with their recent kitbash push.
Selling returned odds and sods from returned stock,and on occasions charging for advertised products and then sending out stock with missing items saying oh sorry we sold out of that piece.

They are clearly trying to drum up money and arent too bothered about the customer or the impact upon their reputation by not sending out stock as advertised.

This smacks of liquidity issues and the fact they called for full payment and delivery for product they dont even have in stock and to make out it was enroute, and they wanted the money to get it out quicker was disingenuous.

Last edited:
To my mind, a company with money problems wouldn't have the capital to prototype new products, much less put anything more into production, both of which are huge financial outlays. And they certainly wouldn't have so many items actively already in various stages of production. If anything they'd be slowing things down and waiting to recoup costs.

Delays are no indication of anything other than that something has caused delays, and the cause for current delays is well known and widely shared. Pre-covid we had to wait two years for Rose, over two years for Clara, almost three years for the Eighth Doctor, and I can't even recall how long that Abominable Bride Sherlock set took to surface. Given we know that factories still aren't operating at capacity, even now, and have gone through staff shortages (when a lot of workers never returned after Chinese New Year), various shut downs and operating restrictions, and massive backlogs across the board, short of starting your own factory you're going to be stuck in the queue. And that queue has blown out as time went on. That's just how it is. Likewise, container shipping is an absolute basketcase right now, routes have been closed or changed, there's a worldwide container shortage, ports everywhere are backlogged, and prices have skyrocketed, in some cases by 500% or more. And there's a shortage of delivery & truck drivers and dock workers in many countries, slowing things even further. When a year on from release a megacorporation like Sony still can't meet supply demands for things like the PS5, that niche companies are also experiencing significant delays should hardly come as a surprise to anybody, nor, in my view, be taken as an indication of anything beyond being a circumstance of the global pandemic we all find ourselves in.

As for the kitbash stuff, BCS has frequently done things like this, selling parts or damaged items or previously exclusive items or remaining stock at premium prices, and personally I've always found it rather distasteful and mercenary, but I don't see it as an indication of anything other than catering to a market that is clearly willing to buy such items at the prices listed. Also alleged poor customer service has nothing to do with liquidity, otherwise companies like Sideshow would have gone under years ago.

Continually framing covid factory and shipping delays (which are affecting everyone) as if they are signs of either mismanagement or impending disaster is, frankly, rather ridiculous in my view. I have an awful lot of money on the line with BCS, so I understand only too well the nervousness that can come with that, but personally, if anything, I feel far less concerned these days than I used to be about BCS going under and potentially losing my money.

Still, to each their own.

Last edited:
That's just how it is. Likewise, container shipping is an absolute basket case right now, routes have been closed or changed, there's a worldwide container shortage, ports everywhere are backlogged, and prices have skyrocketed, in some cases by 500% or more.
You're pretty much on the money it appears. The guy I spoke with actually said prices have occasionally hit 800-900% increases. At the time I thought he may have been blowing a little smoke, but perhaps not.

To my mind, a company with money problems wouldn't have the capital to prototype new products, much less put anything more into production, both of which are huge financial outlays. And they certainly wouldn't have so many items actively already in various stages of production. If anything they'd be slowing things down and waiting to recoup costs.
Not speaking on BC because I don't know anything about their situation but this isn't always true. Telltale games kept taking license after license, trying to push as many games and projects on. Way more than they could handle and it sank them hard.

Just for fun(yes i have feck all else to do:D)

The ever growing back log of pre-orders...
I counted 29 different pre-orders including 2packs,3packs etc

Have i left any out? Do Bobbleheads count?

4th DR Deluxe
6th DR
The Master
K-9
Gold Dalek
Grey Dalek
Dalek 2 pack
Dalek 3 pack
Captain Jack Harkness
Commander Koenig
Tommy Selby
Arthur Selby
Flash Gordon Version 1
Flash Gordon Version 2
Ming
Flash Gordon/Ming 2 pack
Laurel and Hardy
James Bond
DR NO
James Bond/DR NO 2pack

Captain Scarlet
Captain Blue
Captain Black
Lady Penelope

4th DR Re-release
9th DR Re-release
10th DR Re-release
11th DR Re-release
12th DR Re-release

In the works.....

9th DR Deluxe
10th DR Deluxe
11th DR Deluxe
12th DR Deluxe

Last edited:
Just for fun(yes i have feck all else to do:D)

The ever growing back log of pre-orders...
I counted 25 different pre-orders including 2packs,3packs etc

Have i left any out?

4th DR Deluxe
6th DR
The Master
K-9
Gold Dalek
Grey Dalek
Dalek 2 pack
Dalek 3 pack
Captain Jack Harkness
Commander Koenig
Tommy Selby
Arthur Selby
Flash Gordon Version 1
Flash Gordon Version 2
Ming
Flash Gordon/Ming 2 pack
Laurel and Hardy
James Bond
DR NO
James Bond/DR NO 2pack

4th DR Re-release
9th DR Re-release
10th DR Re-release
11th DR Re-release
12th DR Re-release

In the works.....

9th DR Deluxe
10th DR Deluxe
11th DR Deluxe
12th DR Deluxe
Dont forget captain scarlet,Captain Blue,Captain Black and lady Penelope.

Just as a like-for-like style comparison, ThreeZero, who to me would seem to be a similar sized player to BCS, right now has at least 30 current pre-orders, all of them distinct, individual products (not counting exclusives or the like as different products), with 27 of those still available on their site, and at least three that I know of that are unlisted but haven't hit release yet, so must have pre-sold out on the official store.

That doesn't include releases like Jaime Lannister, Arya Stark, or Ezekial, which either haven't landed yet, or are still gradually trickling out here and there, but are are not yet widely available. It also doesn't include any of the things they have previewed or announced, but haven't yet put up for order.

I feel a bit odd defending BCS so frequently of late, as I'm all for valid criticism, and they have earned their share over the years, and I've given enough of my own in the past, I guess I just don't personally see anything that warrants the ongoing predictions of impending doom. And I'm no bystander without skin in the game, I currently have 11 pre-orders locked in (counting 3 and 13), 10 of those fully paid up, so I'd be warranted if I felt a bit nervous, with that much money on the line. Thing is, I just don't. And that is not something I could have always said.

Also, given that BCS's items rarely sell out during pre-order, there's no need to do so if one doesn't want to, or feels in any way uncomfortable, so it's not even one of those situations where people feel compelled to order early or risk missing out. Sure, no matter the cause, delays suck, but are often unavoidable (certainly during the last 18 months), and are commonplace whether we like it or not. It's all just part of the game. and we all knew that already, As such, I'm not sure why there seems to be so much drama aimed at BCS to be honest. :dunno

Anyway, this is all getting a bit circular, and I've more than explained my own personal view on the matter, so I'll endeavour to shut up on the subject now. :lol

Back