BESTA love and idea thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glassvik are on my pickup list, although its going to cost me over £600 to do my setup

(3besta units empty and unlit to the left)
DSC_0684_zpsni7zxf5x.jpg

Alright guys, I need help again.

I've got some custom doors coming for my indwelling cabinets, and am only now getting around to going to Ikea. After much hype over the PAX, I think I'm going to ultimately pass because I don't feel like having to deal with getting custom doors for them, so now I'm back to square one.

Bottom line: I want the most spacious option I can get that ALSO has door options - and NOT white. What's my options? And can you gets list the door types?

From what I'm found, it looks like I'm back to the Besta?

And if I am back to the Besta and KNOW I'll need lots of space, what is the advantages/disadvantages of buying the large shelving units vs. the individual ones and stacking them?

Last edited:
And what are advantages of the Sindvik doors over the Glassvik? They look the same to me, except for price (so obviously I'm missing something.)

And does Ikea no longer offer the 'double wide' Besta frames only? I found the 'double wide' with doors.....but drawer options for the bottom two shelves - none that have ALL doors.

And what are advantages of the Sindvik doors over the Glassvik? They look the same to me, except for price (so obviously I'm missing something.)

Buying them individually will cost more, so it's best to plan out how you want your display to look and get the ones with multiple "units" to make it work. It's fine if it changes down the line because you can stack and "connect" them, at least top to bottom. Side-to-side, no way to "connect" but you can always drill a screw to connect them or use a strong adhesive tape. The Glassviks are a lot heavier, are full border and don't have a small gap like the Sindviks, and are entirely made of the glass material I believe whereas Sindvik has an actually border around the glass. I prefer the Sindviks because of cost, the gap doesn't bother me at all, looking from a distance, you hardly notice it too.

Buying them individually will cost more, so it's best to plan out how you want your display to look and get the ones with multiple "units" to make it work. It's fine if it changes down the line because you can stack and "connect" them, at least top to bottom. Side-to-side, no way to "connect" but you can always drill a screw to connect them or use a strong adhesive tape. The Glassviks are a lot heavier, are full border and don't have a small gap like the Sindviks, and are entirely made of the glass material I believe whereas Sindvik has an actually border around the glass. I prefer the Sindviks because of cost, the gap doesn't bother me at all, looking from a distance, you hardly notice it too.

Thanks! And I take it that Tombo doors are gone indefinitely here in the US?

Since it looks like the Tombo doors are not coming back i decided to re-do making my own doors. I had made doors a few months ago but wasn't totally happy with the way they came out. So i did them again and i think they came out really nice this time.

Here is the Glassvik doors I originally had on
20151231_180302 by zuko1312, on Flickr

Here is my first attempt at making my own doors
20160121_223113 by zuko1312, on Flickr

And here is my new attempt which I am happy with
20160504_220703 by zuko1312, on Flickr

Awesome effort!!

I just bit the bullet - ordered online. Will be here in 2 weeks (the wait sucks.) I decided against in-store pickup - no truck. It would have cost me more to rent a truck than to have it delivered directly.

I got (2) Bestas - 75" tall - with a TV Besta - 70" long, along with (9) Sindvik doors (3 for each Besta) - also added hinges, shelves for everything and got a set of legs (along with supports) for the TV Besta. I don't want legs for the tall Bestas.

If I missed something for assembly, etc, please let me know. Fingers crossed this goes according to plan.

This should be a pretty awesome set-up when all is said and done.

Do you guys think the 15"besta with glassvik doors work for 1/6 figures or will the borders cover too much? Really wish they didnt discontinue the tombos.

Do you guys think the 15"besta with glassvik doors work for 1/6 figures or will the borders cover too much? Really wish they didnt discontinue the tombos.

They're not that thick, plus there are ways around it. I got my BESTA units when they came with 3 or 4 shelves so I had a lot of unused shelves (I could've given you some Chapter, haha), and you could just put down a shelf or two to "raise" your figures on that bottom level if you want to see their base or feet from being covered by the door border.

Back