BESTA love and idea thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hate waiting!!!

I want another cabinet but the thought of having to change all the doors again would piss me off.

My local has 7 192cm cabinets left :gah:
If I buy it and they don't bring the Glassvik back I'm screwed. If I wait there won't be any Black/Brown cabinets left.

:gah: F U Ikea!!! :gah:

Also my local only has White legs... Mine are Silver :cuss :banghead

OK, this might make you cry quite a lot but here you go directly from the IKEA site : BESTA range change - IKEA

QUOTE]

This is mostly good news for me, I already bought the old white ones for a converted closet but was waiting on the black/brown for the main part of the room because the Glassvik were sold out, I wanted more of a black, so this is great, only bad part is no news of the doors that will be available! I liked the Glassvik, was the smallest border offered and made the shelves look more expensive and less "ikea like". The legs part is confusing, like are they offering the old style still because I liked the look of the wood legs.

this is bad news for all current Besta owners looking to expand and needing color match!

Hey I wanted to register to give you guys some info so you don't worry:

1. BESTA old is going away in April. Considering how many frames have been dumped on us by suppliers, most stores will have frames way past 4/1 (unless you were looking for medium brown, that color is pretty much gone)

2. The new BESTA frames are just that... frames only. They don't come with shelves anymore, but you will be able to purchase them in 3 colors + glass.

3. Most of the current size frames are staying... 24x7x15, 24x7x25, 24x15x15, 24x15x25, 24x15x50, 24x15x75, 47x15x15, 47x15x25. Also, the TV units (the ones with the holes for wires are going to be coming in the 15 & 25" heights.

4. A lot of pieces are now separated... i.e., when you buy doors, there is a separate pack for hinges. Same with drawers; you can purchase regular closing or soft closing drawer runners. Also, all door hinges are now soft-close.

5. GLASSVIK is not going anywhere (same 4 options as you have now), VASSBO (reg & glass) are also sticking around, and TOFTA is staying, although there will no longer be a TOFTA glass option. Some of the doors are changing names though.

6. The door sizes are now limited to 15" and 25". No more 50" or 75" doors.

7. The BESTA line is now coming in a new color called grey-stained walnut effect, which should be very similar to the grey-brown you see on other pieces.

Hope this info helps!

Thanks YSG. Are you an Ikea representative?

Us folk are crying out for a longer door so we can adjust the shelves to display larger pieces :D
A double or triple Tombo style door would be amazing but a doulbe Glassvic would also suffice.

Glad the Rep in my local store was correct about the Glassvik staying though.

1. BESTA old is going away in April. Considering how many frames have been dumped on us by suppliers, most stores will have frames way past 4/1 (unless you were looking for medium brown, that color is pretty much gone)

2. The new BESTA frames are just that... frames only. They don't come with shelves anymore, but you will be able to purchase them in 3 colors + glass.

3. Most of the current size frames are staying... 24x7x15, 24x7x25, 24x15x15, 24x15x25, 24x15x50, 24x15x75, 47x15x15, 47x15x25. Also, the TV units (the ones with the holes for wires are going to be coming in the 15 & 25" heights.

4. A lot of pieces are now separated... i.e., when you buy doors, there is a separate pack for hinges. Same with drawers; you can purchase regular closing or soft closing drawer runners. Also, all door hinges are now soft-close.

5. GLASSVIK is not going anywhere (same 4 options as you have now), VASSBO (reg & glass) are also sticking around, and TOFTA is staying, although there will no longer be a TOFTA glass option. Some of the doors are changing names though.

7. The BESTA line is now coming in a new color called grey-stained walnut effect, which should be very similar to the grey-brown you see on other pieces.

Hope this info helps!

Then where are the Glassviks now? why are they saying they are discontinued for a new range?

Hope this info helps!

Awesome! On another note, any possibility Ikea will bring back the 15" deep Billy Bookcase? Those were perfect for displays and larger items; however, Ikea sadly discontinued them. The current 11" ones are just inadequate for most purposes.

Does anyone think there will be a clearance sale on the old bestas? I'd hate to buy them at full price then see them a couple weeks later for half price.

Dunno about your area but here in the U.K there's not much left.
Keep an eye on stock levels to make sure you don't miss out. Once they're gone you'll be screwed.

Then where are the Glassviks now? why are they saying they are discontinued for a new range?

Very easy explanation...

BESTA GLASSVIK, which is the current door name, comes with a set of hinges inside the box (+ screws). If I can throw an assumption out there, the suppliers were probably told to stop making the older article # doors. In hindsight, they probably stopped making them way way too early.

GLASSVIK, which happens to be what the new door is called, is just a door... The hinges are sold in separate packaging.

Heck just to make you guys feel better, here are the descriptions for the "new" GLASSVIK doors

GLASSVIK Glass door, black/clear glass,*23 5/8x15 "
GLASSVIK Glass door, black/clear glass,*23 5/8x25 1/4 "
GLASSVIK Glass door, black/smoked glass,*23 5/8x15 "
GLASSVIK Glass door, black/smoked glass,*23 5/8x25 1/4 "
GLASSVIK Glass door, white/clear glass,*23 5/8x15 "
GLASSVIK Glass door, white/clear glass,*23 5/8x25 1/4 "
GLASSVIK Glass door, white/frosted glass,*23 5/8x15 "
GLASSVIK Glass door, white/frosted glass,*23 5/8x25 1/4 "

So for BESTA, for each new door you buy, you would buy 1 bag (or package) of hinges. Each package comes with 2 hinges. And you buy however many shelves you want. It's just like how STUVA is setup (as far as shelving goes).

I'm guessing the main reason for this is for packaging simplicity. I'm sure you guys have seen door boxes that got banged up because the little area up top where the hinges are got crushed. The new doors actually seem very secure in their packaging. Strangely enough, not many stores have hinges yet, so they haven't started selling new doors.

Another note... if you are in the US, your store will more than likely be marking down frames. There are stores that have 2000 frames to sell in less than 3 weeks. A store I'm familiar with just received a shipment of 1200 old suspension rails (which btw, are not compatible with new frames).

Oh and lastly, as somebody noted from the UK site... New black-brown and white frames are not a 100% match to old ones. Definitely keep that in mind if you are putting new doors on old frames. If you're getting GLASSVIK doors, they're nearly identical.

I am living here in the UK, do not know what BESTA lineups they are discontinuing here, are they keeping with these BESTA shelves?

Do not fancy having to pay for a ton of Besta shelves in one go

I am living here in the UK, do not know what BESTA lineups they are discontinuing here, are they keeping with these BESTA shelves?

Yes, that's the 24x15x25 frame mentioned by yellowstore guy, one of the basic Besta units.

Last edited:
any possibility Ikea will bring back the 15" deep Billy Bookcase?

Your best options at this time for something of similar width (30" internal) and if you want the ability to customize, is shallow depth PAX or Sektion. Galant from the office line also gets you the same width and 15" depth but the prices are higher - you'll still need custom doors.

If you want something with integrated doors and glass shelves that can be expanded in width, Liatorp Glass Cabinet is a good option with 15" depth. With wooden shelves, Regissor Glass Cabinet.

Shoot, I should've bought the last white frames I needed when they still had the 15% sale.... now my frames aren't going to match! Didn't think they would change the color.. :gah:

DANG cannot get hold of the thinner BESTA shelves, looking for shelving units similar to the BESTA ones that can fit the PRIME 1 Megatron and optimus Prime, has the bases are way too wide to fit them on there. Was going to use both to give it the fit it needed, any tips on getting display shelves like the BESTA so it does fit the depth of the transformers base

I have internal measurements for almost everything IKEA makes. Just tell me what width and depth you need MINIMUM on your shelf and I'll recommend something - it may be what I already recommended above though.

Besta/Stuva is really the best option if you're looking for something deep that has BIG square doors available. Otherwise, Pax and Sektion are better, requiring custom or no doors.

Back