BESTA love and idea thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, some things I found out at my local IKEA today. Glassvik doors will cost $35 for the 1/2x1 and $45 for the 1x1, the 2x1 were not available at the store yet. The frame is indeed thinner than the Vassbo and the material is like a TOFTA I think, not wooden like the Vassbo but it's like a glass frame, don't know if that makes sense or not. Think of the door/window pictured below, the black part being the frame of the Glassvik. It's a bit heavy similar to the TOMBOs, and it does look very nice. I opted for the TOMBOs though because they were on sale, but I'm debating or not whether to get one once they are available in white again. Also, they have white, black, and for each of those, a frosted/smoked window, which of course is useless for us who want to display and show off our figures/statues.

besta-tofta-glass-door__0108373_PE258129_S4.JPG

:lecture :wink1:

Just been speaking to a very nice lady at my local Ikea.
The Tombo are indeed being discontinued, apparently they don't sell very well. Must be just us buying them.
They are bringing out a new range in April.
She described a new door like the Tofta, which not surprisingly hardly sells at all, but instead of being in sections the dark bit will make a frame around the glass door.
It's not a frame but detail in the glass, if you get what I mean.

View attachment 94556

Depending how deep they go with the edging this could be quite a nice addition to the range.

First pictures of the glassvik. So far we can only see pictures of the black outline and smoke glass. 902780410246096_PE385248_S5.JPG

These doors could work very well considering how thick the frames are on Besta. And if the glass covers the entire surface it's going to have a very contemporary look. Nice. Smoke glass isn't going to work for a display cabinet, so let's hope they also have a clear option.

The stock photos are never a good indication of what to expect. Hopefully someone will be the guinea pig for us, because I will be setting up a besta display in early may and I'd like to know what to expect. So if you buy any of these next month, be sure to take in person pics of your cabinets!

If they have the white framed one at my store tomorrow, I will be getting it. I have to exchange my new shelf because it was missing some things.

Does anybody have an alternative to the Tombo Glass door (Ikea article number 201.035.54) for a Besta? It seems these will be discontinued.

Attachments

• besta-tombo-glass-door__0257743_PE328881_S4.JPG
    besta-tombo-glass-door__0257743_PE328881_S4.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 808
They have some other new cases similar to that one, I guess updated versions. Not sure of the name/brand/type, but they don't look so good and cost more than the detolf, although seeing the detolf in person, it has a stable base but I don't really like the interior construction, plus all the gaps.

Back