BESTA love and idea thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, CTO. Yes, I'm curious of the mods as well. I remember reading about this a while back, just wanted to confirm, the Tombo doors are really no longer in production after they sell out? I might just have to invest in a few if that's the case... Plan on having 2 more 3x1 shelves so I might have to buy 9 total.

Interesting, I'll browse through the pages when I have time.

Anyone know if they discontinued the 3x1 white shelves? I heard the 3x2 ones are no more. The 2x1 still seems to be available, but that extra unit on top for only an extra $5 easily takes the cake.

I'm hoping they are just sold out at the moment like the Detolfs were recently. Was glad to see those were back on display at Ikea the other day.

Don't be worried about visible lighting when using the Tombo doors - I have a solution for you. (PM)

Drop the shelf a bit or raise the one above it...

Thanks but I have no problem with raising or lowering of the shelf. The problem is my Besta is not as deep as Ynott's. My Hulk's base protrudes out the Besta and I can't even close the glass door. I've tried turning the base so it doesn't jut out but unable to because his outstretched arms began hitting walls of the Besta.

1.jpg

Don't be worried about visible lighting when using the Tombo doors - I have a solution for you. (PM)

Ooo, sorry about that. Just cleared some space on my Inbox!

Thanks but I have no problem with raising or lowering of the shelf. The problem is my Besta is not as deep as Ynott's. My Hulk's base protrudes out the Besta and I can't even close the glass door. I've tried turning the base so it doesn't jut out but unable to because his outstretched arms began hitting walls of the Besta.

Interesting conundrum.... I have been trying to visualize whether there is a way to combine 2 BESTA units back-to-back in some way (w/ the back taken out of one) to fit my HT Tumbler. I glanced somewhere that they sell shelf extensions for like $50 I think, but I don't remember whether that extends how deep a shelf is or how tall...

@ dw316, I don't think they will accept returns, unless faulty, on opened items.
I use Vassbo and Tombo mix. Tombo on the bottom to avoid the restricted view.

@ dajuice, There is a cabinet the same size as the Besta but 10cm deeper.
It's in the Childrens Range but only available in white.

Ooo, didn't know that. Thought it was 90 day return on anything. I just returned some shelves but then again, they almost don't look used even though I installed them, so I might've been lucky. Perhaps I'll keep them for a different display. Do you have pics? Does it look weird to have a mix?

The wife has just said you can return opened, even assembled, items :dunno
Worth checking.

I think mixed looks great. I'll post a picture later, out on phone now.

So I have my glass 1/2 shelf set up at this height at the moment. I was wondering what you all thought. From a distance, it's a bit hard to see the figures in the 2nd unit, at least for me since I'm about 5'8", but it's at the same height as the top unit, 6 holes from the base shelf, which is as high as it could go before the door/window hinge screws. Do you think it's fine the way it is or should the glass 1/2 shelf be one notch lower?

I'm considering getting whatever Tombo doors are left at my local Ikea (on sale at the moment for $40), but the price as well as the fact that it doesn't hide the light strip on top worries me a bit. These Vassbo doors also block the feet of the top unit figures for short people, lol.

I just pick up L-cross section trim from homedepot. It's 8ft roughly $10-15 in silver or black. Thin and easy to cut. just cut them to size and tape it in front of the lights or the light strip can go directly on the inside. Actually I posted this here long tine ago but have yet to do it myself but toys2 is started doing it in their new setup and looks good.

:borg "Resistance is Futile"

View attachment 100283

My Rulk only sticks out marginally but with the door on you cant see it, how is it with a door attached with yours?

Hey dajuice, I used the cabinet that collectorcol posted a link to with mine as I had the same problem with the Hulk (albeit the Movie version) sticking out to far to go in the Besta. As you can see below they all look the same side by side but the end one with Hulk in is deeper.

Finally got the units in my office, 2 Besta's and a Stuva for the Hulk. Added the Hot Toys to fill it out but with plenty coming it will look much different by the end of the year. There's room in the corner for a 4th Besta which I'll get eventually.

Still undecided about the doors, looks good as is but worried about the dust. For now I have boxes in the bottom and some spare shelves covering most of them up.

12412347844_82daee455a_o.jpg

12412350324_5fa462750c_o.jpg

For anyone who's checked out that Glassvik instruction sheet, what percentage of purchasers do you think will understand IKEA's suggestion of adding a piece of tape to the drill bit to mark the desired depth of not more than 3mm when mounting the door pulls? My guess is less than 1%.

I don't think even 50% of people can assemble an average IKEA product on their own. Probably lower than 30%, but I don't have any scientific studies to back that up. ;)

Back