Best Horror Movie Plot/Story?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Da fink

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Each horror fan has their favourite character/maniac :horror but I'm curious to know what people consider to be be the greatest story in a horror movie. My favorite is Saw and its sequels because of the way how the stories intertwine. It may not be the greatest but I like it. Let me know your thoughts.

The first 2 Hellraiser films, The original Nightmare on Elm St., Paranormal Activity, The Excorcist, the original Ringu films too

I always enjoy Candyman. But the original Halloween will always have top spot in my heart.

The Thing -1982 version. Alien/Aliens. Day of the Dead. All great films dealing with trust, survival in a hostile environment and good ensemble cast members.

John Carpenters HALLOWEEN 1978 // bearly any blood / spooky // suspenseful // creepy // great movie // a classic that will live on forever setting the stage for all to follow :exactly:

Psycho. groundbreaking material from which the genre never really recovered.

Carpenter's Thing (better in many ways than the Original)

Dark Night of the Scarecrowcaptured the spirit of the old EC horror comics better than anything out there. Original story.

all the classics because the ideas were fresh and new then (Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolfman, Jekyll and Hyde)

I have to say the first three Saws are actually very good. The original had a fantastic twist that they never quite recaptured, but the Saw II and Saw III's twists were still quite good. These three really made you THINK, which most horror movies don't do. In Saw II you could have gotten out of several of the traps if you had payed more attention to what Jigsaw said, and just THOUGHT about the trap.

I think the best story/concept go to A Nightmare On Elm Street. It was pretty much 100% original. A killer who attacks you in your sleep! The spirit of a psychopathic child murderer/molester come back to torment and kill the children his own killers. Very cool.

Before Fred Kruger you had real world killers like Norman Bates, Leatherface, Micheal Myers, Pam Voorhees/Jason Voorhees. Before the masked killer craze you had space aliens and invaders from 50's and 60's Sci-fi. And before that you had your classic movie monsters: Frankenstein, the Wolfman, Dracula, Creature.

I think Wes Craven really brought something truly original to the table with NOES. I dont think the film really gets the credit it deserves mainly do to the trash sequels that followed which took a great story and frightening villain and turned them both into pure crap.

Having said that, I dont think NOES is the best horror movie ever made, nor is it my favorite but I think it should be held amongst the best plot/stories/concepts to come out of the horror genre.

Back